iPad Air 2 to a 2018 IPad

born2runak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
I picked up two of the 128 gb 2018 IPads on sale at Best Buy. The wife and I have been using iPad Air 2 ( 16, 32 gb respectively).

Has anyone done the same upgrade? Do you regret it? The biggest draw back for me is the nonlaminated screen. It does make the tablet have a “cheap” feel. The biggest draw for me is the pencil support. I do not need it for professional needs, but just the occasional note taking as well as drawing and coloring. The extra storage would be welcome, but again , we have managed with our current configurations, though the wife’s 16 Gb does need some storage manipulation when it comes to updates.

I keep feeling like I am downgrading in some sense, and I only have 14 days to return them is I’m not happy.

I can’t justify the cost of a Pro , as I think that is overkill for my needs.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
I picked up two of the 128 gb 2018 IPads on sale at Best Buy. The wife and I have been using iPad Air 2 ( 16, 32 gb respectively).

Has anyone done the same upgrade? Do you regret it? The biggest draw back for me is the nonlaminated screen. It does make the tablet have a “cheap” feel. The biggest draw for me is the pencil support. I do not need it for professional needs, but just the occasional note taking as well as drawing and coloring. The extra storage would be welcome, but again , we have managed with our current configurations, though the wife’s 16 Gb does need some storage manipulation when it comes to updates.

I keep feeling like I am downgrading in some sense, and I only have 14 days to return them is I’m not happy.

I would return them if you're not sure. It's obviously not a downgrade but if you don't like the new ones and you're happy with the lower performing Air 2, I'd stick with that. Performance isn't everything.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ

I've done it. In no aspect do I see it as a downgrade. IMO, the difference between the laminated and non-laminated screens is not as drastic (and dramatic) as others claim it is. Different, yes. Distracting, no. I also have a 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro and so I can compare how using the Pencil differs between the two types of screens. Not a problem.

The 2018 iPad is the only bargain in the iPad lineup at the moment. Great performance, great price, great capabilities, no camera bump, and because it is using an "older" style chassis, plenty of options for cases and covers. I use it heavily daily for both work and home. In addition to all that it does as an iPad, it is my digital notebook that goes with me everywhere.

The Best Buy sale simply sweetens the deal.

born2runak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
I've done it. In no aspect do I see it as a downgrade. IMO, the difference between the laminated and non-laminated screens is not as drastic (and dramatic) as others claim it is. Different, yes. Distracting, no. I also have a 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro and so I can compare how using the Pencil differs between the two types of screens. Not a problem.

The 2018 iPad is the only bargain in the iPad lineup at the moment. Great performance, great price, great capabilities, no camera bump, and because it is using an "older" style chassis, plenty of options for cases and covers. I use it heavily daily for both work and home. In addition to all that it does as an iPad, it is my digital notebook that goes with me everywhere.

The Best Buy sale simply sweetens the deal.
Thank you for your input. I have played with it and I do like the performance and don’t have any problem with the screen, except sometimes the sound and that “hollow feel”.
I think part of my problem is I’m so attached to my Air 2 , I’m having a hard time letting it go. Haha. The Air 2 is still such a great functioning tablet.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Thank you for your input. I have played with it and I do like the performance and don’t have any problem with the screen, except sometimes the sound and that “hollow feel”.
I think part of my problem is I’m so attached to my Air 2 , I’m having a hard time letting it go. Haha. The Air 2 is still such a great functioning tablet.
lol.gif

I understand. The Air 2 is a terrific tablet. For me, it wasn't about the Air 2 reaching the end of its life, but about an extremely affordable and portable way to use the Apple Pencil.

born2runak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Is this in Best Buy’s website? I can not locate said sale.
It ended Sunday. It was 329 for the 128 Gb model. It was a great sale
[doublepost=1542130181][/doublepost]
The Air 2 has a cult-like following. It was amazing when it came out.
When Apple releases the iPad 2027 there will be Air 2 users saying "I'm not sure it's an upgrade..." :D
Haha, yea , I think that is me right now. I just can’t get out of my head that I’m somehow downgrading