Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Hmmm. Nice to see it has a big speed improvement over the Air 2, although not complaining about my Air 2. I'll upgrade pretty soon to a pro 2. I have only 25gb left i think on my air 2, so ill upgrade to a 256 whenever my storage is full.

I've seen the true tone in real life and it looks very very useful. Looking forward to that feature as well.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
If the Pen isn't important, then get the Air 2, still a great tablet.
Once you get used to the TrueTone display, there is no going back to the Air 2. I'm praying the new iPhones incorporate this as well.

I don't use/own a pen at all.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Once you get used to the TrueTone display, there is no going back to the Air 2. I'm praying the new iPhones incorporate this as well.

I don't use/own a pen at all.
That was honestly probably the biggest feature I liked about the iPad Pro, but it's just not big enough to get me to upgrade from my iPad Air 2. I look forward to maybe getting the next 9.7" iPad, but I'm so happy with my iPad Air 2 that I might even keep it for two more generations.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
iPad Pro seems good but Apple has not done enough for the iPad lineup (IMO) for me to consider getting a "pro" tablet. Mine does what I need it to do. I would like to be a little more productive with it but the changes have not come yet, so my Air 2 is sufficient for me.

Reactions: Tsepz and ShaunAFC3

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
iPad Pro seems good but Apple has not done enough for the iPad lineup (IMO) for me to consider getting a "pro" tablet. Mine does what I need it to do. I would like to be a little more productive with it but the changes have not come yet, so my Air 2 is sufficient for me.
Exactly.

Had they given the Pro 9.7 4GB RAM and included keyboard case and pen in the package, it would have been a welcome upgrade, but for now it's more a small step up, or even a side grade from the Air 2.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Exactly.

Had they given the Pro 9.7 4GB RAM and included keyboard case and pen in the package, it would have been a welcome upgrade, but for now it's more a small step up, or even a side grade from the Air 2.

I have both Air 2 and IPP 9.7. I disagree it's a small upgrade. Can't see where the 2GB RAM is holding me back.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What I'm saying is that the fact the IPP 9.7 has the same RAM as the Air2 makes it less appealing to upgrade to.

Sure. But calling it a "side grade" was an over exaggeration. It definitely has some better features than the Air2, such as 4 speakers, better camera, TrueTone. So it is definitely an upgrade, even if the features that were upgraded may not be of interest to you.

Reactions: bensisko

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
What I'm saying is that the fact the IPP 9.7 has the same RAM as the Air2 makes it less appealing to upgrade to.

What are you regularly doing with an iPad where the 2GB of RAM is causing you limitations? I know for sure even the most basic of usage will highlight the advantage(s) of TrueTone and improved speakers.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
What are you regularly doing with an iPad where the 2GB of RAM is causing you limitations? I know for sure even the most basic of usage will highlight the advantage(s) of TrueTone and improved speakers.

He's probably referring to the "sweet spot" in terms of "upgrade longevity", in the way many users were able to stick with the iPad 2 for years because it had a "sweet spot" in functionality.

Specifically, 4GB is presumably more likely to support future versions of iOS, simply because more features in iOS usually means more memory needed.

Of course, whether or not this is a justified line of reasoning is another. I just enjoy my iPad and don't care about the details.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Dude, are you fully reading what I'm saying? I never said anything WRT limitations, rathes that the lack of a RAM upgrade doesn't make the IPP9.7 an appealing upgrade.

If it had received 3GB or 4GB it would be more futureproof, and a very appealing upgrade.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Dude, are you fully reading what I'm saying? I never said anything WRT limitations, rathes that the lack of a RAM upgrade doesn't make the IPP9.7 an appealing upgrade.

If it had received 3GB or 4GB it would be more futureproof, and a very appealing upgrade.

Dude, I was fully reading what you said. You just said "less appealing". You never mentioned less appealing for your current use, or potential(?) future applications.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

RAM isn't going to "futureproof" your iPad. It's more likely that some other bit of hardware (screen technology, processor, wireless technology, something we haven't even thought of yet) is more likely to date your iPad before the lack of RAM becomes a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.