iPad mini Ipad Air 2 to Mini 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Anna Leif, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Anna Leif macrumors member

Hello,

My 'dilemma' isn't iPad air 2 to pro, it's iPad air 2 to iPad mini 4.

I've been thinking of making a sideways step in the interests of portability and have been to the Apple Store and played around with mini 4. Impressive machine and oh, so light! However, I have concerns with text size. My main use of the iPad Air 2 (128gb cellular) is for research, using Evernote as a my go to notetaker, and word processing. Nothing as extended as a novel, I'm a poet so short bursts of writing and endless drafts are my territory. Ulysses is my current word processing darling on both Macbook and iPad.

Other iPad uses are reading novels, poetry books and magazines, watching films and plenty of Youtube, listening to music. I'm not a gamer so no worries there.

I'd like to read the views of other iPad users who have made the change from Air 2 to Mini 4. Any regrets, loving it, any potential issues concerning text size for the above uses?

Thank you.
    Anna

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

If the text size is bothering you now it's not getting any better. I've relegated my previous minis to younger family members as my 40+ year old eyesight isn't getting any better. You can always zoom but it's a nuisance. You can always buy from an Apple Store and try it out for 2 weeks before getting rid of your Air 2 which BTW is IMHO a much better iPad for reading text or magazines.

3. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Having owned both, the size and weight difference between an Air and a Mini are not that great. The biggest difference is that the 9.7 inch models, like the Air, are more square-ish, while the 7 inch Minis are more landscape-wide. In note taking, that may or may not make a difference to you.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I went from 9.7" to Mini 4 without much fuss.

My only issue is when using it at a distance, like on a stand walking on a treadmill.

5. Anna Leif thread starter macrumors member

Ah, and my 50+ year eyesight isn't improving either! I tried the zoom in store and it worked quite well, although I did wonder if it might become something of a chore zooming in and out. I think it might be okay when I'm wearing my reading glasses, but with the Air 2 I rarely bother with them, unless I'm doing something particularly demanding.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016 ---
    Rafterman, I found the size and weight difference to be quite significant. Perhaps it's from using only the Air 2 for a year or so? I was surprised by the lightness and potential portability of the Mini 4 (coat pocket, handbag etc) although I did find the speakers to be rather on the quiet side and wonder if this also could be from familiarity with the Air 2.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016 ---
    Thank you, asleep (what a lovely user name!) My use is generally handheld so distance would be a non issue for me.

6. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have both. The Mini is in my hand right now. I'm 66 and do not zoom to read, ever. I've had perfect eyesight for most of my life but now wear trifocals. NP.
    I took handwritten meeting notes before I retired last August and it served me well for that. Bottom line is the Mini4 can do anything, so it's just really up to if you want the portability. I can't live without it lol. But that's just me.

7. Anna Leif thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, Ron.

I think I might take magbarn's advice and trial one for a week or so. That should be enough to really let me know in regards to the question of text size.

Anna