Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I use my iPad Air 2 every day (I never turn it off so it sits overnight, asleep) but sometimes, when I have gone back to it the following night (after it has been asleep for about 10 hours or so), the screen throws up a message stating that, "Touch ID requires you to input your password when iPad has been asleep for 48 hours"....?!?!? o_O

My iPad has 100%, NOT been asleep for "48 hours" - its been around the 10 hour mark (I will use it around 11pm and then won't go back to it until around 8pm the following evening), but it still, sometimes, throws up that message?!?

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I have never seen that message, but have never let it sleep for 48 hours.. ever. I hear you so it may be a software glitch. Can you wipe it and start over with a fresh install? If not, try to back it up, then reinstall your stuff. That works for me to get rid of problems sometimes.
Good Luck!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I use my iPad Air 2 every day (I never turn it off so it sits overnight, asleep) but sometimes, when I have gone back to it the following night (after it has been asleep for about 10 hours or so), the screen throws up a message stating that, "Touch ID requires you to input your password when iPad has been asleep for 48 hours"....?!?!? o_O

My iPad has 100%, NOT been asleep for "48 hours" - its been around the 10 hour mark (I will use it around 11pm and then won't go back to it until around 8pm the following evening), but it still, sometimes, throws up that message?!?

Mine does the same thing. Never did till OS9 so it has to be a bug.

No need to worry

Reactions: Dino F

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Could be a software respring? I think if the OS resprings or crashes, it will require your passcode upon reboot.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

I've seen the same thing with less than 12hrs of sitting idle.

Reactions: Dino F

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm finding iOS 9 quirky myself. Not in this regard, but with other things, like freezing for a sec or two or not responding as quickly as the hardware in my devices is capable of. I am thinking about wiping my devices and starting over :eek:. Thats a scary thought, as I've got years of kit on my iPhone especially and would hate to do that.
First, before I do anything that drastic, I think I will back up my phone really good, apps and all, encrypted as well, to iTunes and then do a restore. That has fixed stuff in the past. Yup, I just talked myself into that - I think.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
What security measure? 48 when it's been 12 or 1? It's popping up all the time. Now, the respring theory may have more merit since it's hard to tell that actually happened.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

This has been a bug since the first iOS 9 betas, it also happened on the iPhones but I have not come across it yet on my iPhone since 9.1 came out.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Happened to my iPhone 6s on iOS 9.1 this morning, I was watching a YouTube video, locked the phone, came back a minute later, and I got the 48 hour Touch ID timeout message. Never saw it on 9.0.x. Very confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.