IPad Air 2 users -Will you upgrade to next years Ipad ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Math889, Nov 14, 2016.

?

Will you upgrade from IPad Air 2?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2016.
  1. Yes

14.6%
  2. No

51.2%
  3. Maybe

34.1%
  1. Math889 macrumors 65816

2. sparksd macrumors 65816

Not me. My 128GB LTE Air 2 does everything I want very well; I don't need a new one and it's too much money to justify going with the latest and greatest.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

How can anyone make an informed decision before anyone even knows what the next iPad will offer? For all we know it could be a fantastic leap or it could basically be the same as the current model with a slightly faster processor and a new colour. The fact that people will make up their mind to buy something, sight unseen, is how companies like Apple get away with phoning it in some years.

4. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I will probably be tempted if they introduce a new design with an edge to edge type display. But unless they give the smaller Pro 4gb of ram there is no reason to upgrade and ideally I will probably wait for the 2018 iPad as the Air 2 more than serves my needs fine and it would not be worth spending 600+ on a new model when the Air 2 has yet to even begin to decay in its performance.

5. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Nope - the Air 2 currently meets all my needs and should be good for at least another 2-3 iOS upgrade cycles. Although I'm sure I'd certainly be tempted to upgrade my iPhone next year. The iPad cycle can last much much longer.

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I'm another one to say no, unless a significant design change. The Air 2 is pretty much perfect for me.

7. Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok .So I am the only one here ....
    upgrading Pro 2 12.9

8. ericwn macrumors 68000

As there is no info on specs the question can only be answered by folks who don't care about the features of that upcoming product. Personally I'll wait to see what the new device brings to the table.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You do realize that your question to Air2 owners (whether they will upgrade) falls outside your intent in getting the Pro 12.9", right?!

And I really think you need to stop asking so many questions like this. You can of course, but with nothing but rumor so far, what is the real point?

10. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I mean there are people like him that just want the next iPad regardless of what happens as it will obviously be better. For me unless some anomaly caused my Air 2 to become obscenely slow all of a sudden or my battery just starts to fail I will have no need or care to upgrade to a new iPad as the Air 2 more than meets my needs. Same reason the New MacBook Pro is out yet I'm perfectly satisfied with my 2012 MacBook Pro i5 with 16gb ram and SSD. Sure the new ones are really good in every way but mine more than serves my needs still so there is no good reason to go drop 1500$ on a new MacBook or drop 600$ on a new iPad

11. djnigelchung macrumors member

Still hanging onto my iPad Air,
    It does everything I want it to, no significant lag.. Great device to me.
    In no rush to upgrade

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Pretty much this. It would have to have an extremely compelling feature or fantastic design for me to upgrade.

13. Razeus macrumors 603

Being that the iPad has always been a consumption machine for me and that an iPad Air 3 will be just a new CPU, my answer is no.

I now Cook is doing his damnedest to get me to believe the iPad can replace my Dell XPS 15, but I'm just not seeing it.

14. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Can't see a reason to upgrade. Better camera? Never use it. Better cpu/gpu? Already fast enough for me. Better speakers? I use Bluetooth speaker or headphones. Apple Pay support (nfc)? Not supported by banks in norway for many years to come.

New screen with 3Dtouch and pen support, 4K and truetone would maybe make me consider an upgrade.

15. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

2018 maybe on 128gb got 20gb left so when that runs out il upgrade. No issues with speed as well

16. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The iPad Air 3 is more than just a new CPU, and it's called iPad Pro.

17. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

If I am still alive I will probably want the anniversary iPhone, I currently have the 6S Plus. If my Air 2 still meets my needs I will keep it.

18. craig1024 macrumors regular

Definitely not, my iPad Air 2 is still very fast and gets great battery life, it serves my needs perfectly, iPads are too expensive to buy a new one whenever I feel like it, besides none of the pro's features appeal to me.

19. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

20. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I will only if it's a significant upgrade.
    This is probably what I'd need to upgrade from the Air 2.

21. Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just want an 12.9 inch IPad . True tone ,A10X , quad core . iPad Pro 2. Gold , rose gold or space gray ???

22. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

The air 2 is pretty amazing so whatever next iPad will have to blow my socks off. If not, im content to hold on to the air2 until the end.

23. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

No compelling reason here to upgrade no matter what features they add. I expect to get another couple of years out of the Air 2. Husband's original gen Air will likely need upgrading first, but even that's doing fine on 10.1.1.

I'm more likely to upgrade from the 6s+ to whatever they bring out as an anniversary phone next year, but even then, it'll have to be a pretty damn big upgrade to do so. The 7 didn't impress me at all.

24. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

I decided to skip the 9.7 iPad Pro as it just wasn't enough of an update for me to bite, plus it went up $150 for the model I typically get. I've had every other iPad except the iPad 4, so not upgrading after even a longer release between updates was kinda a big deal. I typically get the new model and hand down my previous to family.

I have zero interest in the 12.9, played with a friends for a week and found it too cumbersome for how I use it.

We will see what the next "10 inch" model brings. Although with Apple's recent track record of actually taking away features from products and raising prices I'm not as excited for new things as I used to be.

25. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

I just bought a MBP so iPad upgrades will have to wait. Next year if anything would be an iPhone purchase, year after iPad. Damn, Apple has me buying a new product every year. What a brilliant ecosystem, even though now I feel like a fool.