iPad iPad Air 2 versus iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pthurst, Oct 22, 2014.

1. pthurst macrumors newbie

Hello everyone :)

Just taken delivery of the new 128gb Air 2 (wifi only) and thought it would be interesting to compare it to my trusty old iPad 3. This may be handy for any old tech users who are wondering if its time to upgrade.

The vid is here:
    http://youtu.be/2g9TdUz_PRo?list=UUUyOKO6LkRUxGxI62EIAP6w

I'm also uploading a geekbench comparison vid as I type and will include the link in this thread.

Hope these vids are useful.

Paul

2. pthurst thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Thanks Paul, I own an iPad 3 and plan/ed/ on purchasing an Air 2 tomorrow morning when my local store gets them (Lakeside) however you put some real perspective on the fact the new iPad although faster is still an iPad! And it's the same thing all the top reviewers are saying... To be honest even though I really want the iPad Air 2, to me the limited nature of the os and the fact I already have an iPad 3 really is giving me second thoughts! Yes the iPad 3 is getting very slow and sluggish but like everyone is saying, it still does the same thing an Air 2 does, just slower...

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I am torn here. U use my iPad 3 for school and it does do what I need to, but not pleasantly. I get so frustrated becuase even app closing and opending animations lag. I can't even swift between screens without lag. I feel guilty for wanting to upgrade, but it's ridculous. Scrolling in Safari or PDFs and be jerky or solid white while it attempts to render the rest of the page.

I hate jerky UI, and nothing about this iPad is smooth anymore. :(

5. Toocool macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the video! I am selling my iPad 3 to get an Air 2.

One question, do you really see any difference in the display quality of the two devices? Has the screen improved? In the video Air 2 did look a little better, but not too sure.

6. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

It looked darker to me!? Maybe the brightness was turned down...

7. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

8. kweevuss macrumors member

This is so much faster. I know what it feels to have an actual working tablet again. (Previous iPad 3 owner)

9. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

Coming from an iPad 3, the air 2 is pretty amazing. I always liked my three and never had problems with it. Sure it ran a little slow, but it was great for what I used it for. The air 2 is so light as well. Only downside is the speakers make it vibrate, but no biggie.

10. negroswamy macrumors member

i have 64gb wifi ipad3 & it works great (current ios) for my student needs & for . gonna donate it when i get my used 128gb cellular (still applecare for 1 yr) ipad mini2 (-tax + discover cashback + giftcards etc). i plan to use that as a whole "educational archive machine" to store and access any info. i use goodnotes app daily & can save so many lectures/textbooks...

some say that an "ipad pro" is around the corner and possibly ipad mini4. either way, maybe this isnt the "splurge" ipad. but obviously theres always something around the corner.

coming to terms with going from 30 pin to lightning (i have iphone 4s) means a giant turnover in cases, chargers, speakers, alarms...

so i guess u gotta weigh the pros & cons but either way upgrade is inevitable and either way ipad 3 is a workhorse like above me said.

11. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Same boat as all of you, I have a iPad 3 sitting on iOS 6.1.3 and runs perfectly fine for my needs.

I went to see the iPad Air 2 today, I was in total shock how amazing that damn thing is and "almost" bought it on the spot LOL

If Black Friday in Canada happens again this year, with the $75 Apple or $100 from Target gift cards and I might treat myself to it, might as well since I got the IP6 :eek:

12. negroswamy macrumors member

how do u get ios 6.1.3? can u get it back if u sync it in somebody elses itunes that has it?

maybe if you restorewith their time machine backup?

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

14. E2EK1EL, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

I just never updated it, blocked the OTA update with my router all this time.

No you can't restore back to iOS 6.1.3 at this point, no matter what you do and Apple stop signing that IPSW years ago. :(

I still have 2 other iPad 3s on iOS 5.1.0 and iOS 6.1.3 still.

Attached Files:

15. pthurst thread starter macrumors newbie

A couple of hours in:

Lightning connector is far more convenient than the older iPad 3 one but its a bit tricky to find when not looking (I'm sure I'll get used to this)

Sound quality is better however it also vibrates through the case which will also take some getting used to.

iPad is obviously much lighter but as soon as its in a case, it doesn't make that much difference.

Battery life seems about the same as the 3. I am using Air 2 on full brightness and at this rate I'd be lucky to get 6 or 7 hours out of it. (Saddened to hear that this battery has less capacity that Air 1. Given the choice, it rather of had 1.6mm extra thickness and a better battery but Apple seem to be on a different wavelength when it comes to power...

iPad 3 seems unbearably slow when you go back to it after a bit of Air 2 usage.

All in all, after a few hours use, the update is very welcome. Arguably not worth £550 quid considering it isn't really doing anything the 3 can't but for serious ipadders out there, the refresh is very welcome!

Hope this is useful.

Paul