iPad iPad Air 2 vs. iPad Pro 9.7"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Matt Stanley, May 1, 2016.

1. Matt Stanley macrumors newbie

Matt Stanley

Hello everyone!
    I have been looking into getting an iPad for work recently and wanted to know your opinion on which model is better for the price. My work does not consist of anything that includes editing or film, which from what I have heard would be the main reasons to choose the Pro model. So I was wondering if there are any other reasons I should choose that over the air? Thanks

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Other than the obvious two of pencil support and Apple Smart Keyboard option, It has a much faster processor, true tone display, and a much improved camera on both sides.

In my opinion, it's well worth it to go ahead and spend a little extra for the 9.7 pro, even if you don't use the pencil or keyboard.

If you are willing to buy refurbished or open box, there are deals to be had which all but erase the price difference in the two.

3. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Better for the price is very subjective. If you have no intention of purchasing the Apple Pencil or the keyboard, and will never have any interest in those accessories then you will get everything you need from the Air 2.

I came from the Air 2. I told myself when the 12.9 released that if they make a 9.7 that works with the Apple Pencil, I am in. They did and I bought it. I am not an artist either, I specifically use the pencil for notes. I love that this version completely replaced pen and paper for me. Had I not had that intention, or if the Apple Pencil was not going to be compatible, I would had kept my Air 2.

4. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

As a rule, I don't buy last years tech. Its really not that big of a price difference.

5. ericwn macrumors 6502a

It might be best if you consider your workflow on this upcoming iPad of yours. Based on that it will be more clear if the Pro version makes any sense.
    I also recommend to check out the different screen sizes in a store next to one another.

6. ACG12 macrumors 6502

I'm going to compare the two models above base on these iPads since 16gb and 32gb aren't enough storge imo. $250 price difference is alot of money considering the Air 2 is still very fast and can handle anything you can throw at it on the app store. The Air 2 will be the next iPad 2, I'd still buy a new one with confidence.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

One thing to consider is how long you plan to keep this iPad. If you want to keep it for more than two years, then I'd advise going for the Pro, because it'd be more future-proof.

8. Serban Suspended

Since both of them have 2 gb ram, both have same future proof

9. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

There are factors other than ram. It's still slightly faster, and productivity software may end up targeting pencilled devices primarily.

Apple can seem pretty arbitrary when it comes to limiting support based on CPU type too. There may come a time (eventually!) when they roll out updates to A9 CPUs and up. Though I'd think everyone would be due an upgrade by then anyway.