iPad Air 2 vs Mini 4 Size/weight questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rotobadger, Jul 22, 2017.

1. rotobadger, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017

rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I just purchased a mint used iPad Air 2 64GB after doing my research on what I thought was the best deal for me. However, after using it for a couple of days, I am noticing I much prefer the size and weight of my wife's iPad Mini (1st gen). Now, I know it's a "personal preference" thing but I wanted to see if others here can comment on why they prefer the larger iPad over the mini from a size and weight perspective.

Maybe I'm not using it correctly? Maybe I'm missing the benefit of the Air 2 (other than processor superiority)?

I'm finding myself seriously considering grabbing a mini and selling the Air 2 but don't want to be hasty. Maybe give it some more time? I've only had the Air 2 for a week or so. I'm wondering I'd regret the trade off. Or not...

Thoughts are appreciated!

2. subjonas macrumors 65816

You're right, it's personal preference and use cases. Personally, I have no use for a mid size tablet. For casual ereading, web browsing, video viewing, and short productivity tasks, mini is the most ideal iPad for me. If I want to draw or spend more time for productivity or get immersed in a serious film/tv show, I use my 12.9. I suppose midsize is good for people who want one device and they don't feel it's too compromised.

Basically, the bigger the screen the more you can do on it; but the bigger the device, the bigger the barrier it is to use it, so you should only get bigger if you have a typical use case in which the benefit of the bigger screen outweighs the unnecessary bulk you have to deal with the times you don't need it.

3. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Thanks for the reply sujonas. I think you hit on one thing that I hadn't really thought about and that is creation vs consumption. I am probably going to use my iPad for consumption about 85 percent of the time. I'll use it with a Bluetooth keyboard for emails but, other than that, movies, games, web, youtube, etc.

It seems like proponents of larger screen often cite the same reasons: Drawing, reading comics and other types of creation.

I love the Air 2 it's just the mini feels so much better in-hand and more "flingable". Meaning it's easy to pick up, carry around, put down and handle without too much care.

Again, I appreciate the "get what feels right for you argument" and it makes a lot of sense.

4. Asp09 macrumors newbie

I agree with everything that has been said here. I have a Mini 2 and an Air 2; the only reason I bought the latter was for drawing (now I have the 12.9 for that, though). For everything else I prefer the Mini. It's perfect for casual browsing on the couch or in bed, and I like the fact that it is easy to type with the on screen keyboard in landscape mode when holding it (on the Air 2 I have to hold it in portrait mode to type, which is less comfortable). And yes, it literally is more "flingable"; the other day it flew out of my hand at the top of the staircase and bounced all the way down before crashing screen first onto a hard floor. Miraculously, there isn't even a scratch :)

5. PBMB macrumors regular

To put it in a pouch or a large jacket pocket and go out without needing a special bag for it, to use it on the road and during travel to see the weather conditions and get directions from the GPS (cellular model), to use it as a cheap phone while abroad (Skype) ... It is the perfect size for such applications.