iPad iPad Air 2 WIFI Woes...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GBNova, Jan 29, 2015.

1. GBNova macrumors member

So I’ve got a iPad 4 gen and a iPhone 4S both running iOS 8.1 and they are rock solid on WIFI. I just got a iPad Air 2 and already had a iPhone 6 that both lose connection to my network regularly. Like they seriously spend half the time disconnected as connected.

Now I know it is well documented on the net that there are problems with WIFI and iOS 8.x, but there hasn’t been much discussion on here lately and I know a lot of ppl have iPad Air 2s. I guess I’m going to have to get a new router but seriously why can’t Apple figure out this problem? Since my old devices work on WIFI and iOS 8.x, it’s obviously a hardware problem with the new network chips in the iPhone 6 and Air 2 and certain (most?) older routers, or could be a software problem in how iOS 8.x talks to the new chip.

It just seems to me there should be more discussion on it in here if there were still a lot of people having problems.

2. matraco macrumors regular

Does the air2 disconnects with strong signals?

Im having that problem with the not so strong signals, while my mini2 works better with these. However with a good signal it is working fine. Both the air2 and mini2 in ios 8.1.3.

3. GBNova thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm right next to my router. I guess I'm going to have to take it back and get the original Air. I'm not spending $200 more for a AC router just to make this thing work when all my other stuff works fine. It won't stay connected for more than a couple min. I already paid a $200 premium to choose the Air 2 over the Air 1.

4. matraco macrumors regular

If it disconnects so often with a strong signal you probably have a faulty air2. Have you tried with another router? Im using a mimo capable 2.4 ghz radio.

5. GBNova thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to try a friends router tomorrow, but again my iPhone 4S and iPad 4 work fine on 8.1 and my router.

This is the second Air 2 I've had and this one seems much worse even though I don't think it's faulty any more than any other Air 2 with my particular router. My iPhone 6 doesn't work with my router either.

It's a D Link DIR-615 N router so it should work fine.

6. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Wow, that router is pretty old. The specs say it does 802.11N(draft). The fact that it doesn't work with the IP6 or IPA2 makes the router suspect. Your prerogative to use any router you like though.

7. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

8.1 had problems. It would take a while for 5Ghz ac network to show up in WiFi settings. But since 8.1.2 and 8.1.3, my 5Ghz network is detected instantly.

2.4Ghz never had a problem to begin with.

8. GBNova thread starter macrumors member

Tried it with my parents Linksys W54 G router and the same results. I took it back this morning. I think I'll probably pick up the original Air or maybe a Mini 2 and wait till the next generation or until A7 chip and 1GB of ram is too slow.

----------

I was running 8.1.3

9. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

I have had similar problems with early iPads and MBA.

The solution was easy: assign them a static IP in your house's network. Problem solved, never dropped the connection again.

10. The-Pro macrumors 65816

assign it through the router or inside the ipads settings?

11. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

On the iPad setting.

Click the wifi in the setting's menu, click the CIRCLE-I button for you home network. That gives you a menu, normally you are in the DHCP tab (router randomly assigns IP addresses). Click to the STATIC tab, and enter the same settings that were shown in the DHCP tab. If you do this for all your devices it keeps them from butting heads when trying to link.

I also set up my router so it assigns fixed addresses (makes it easier to access your network printers, makes some network games easier to set-up, etc).

12. The-Pro macrumors 65816

nice thanks, ill give it a try