iPad iPad Air 2 - Worthed for waiting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Isamilis, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I am considering to buy the new iPad Air to replace my 4 years old iPad 2. I live in Indonesia, which usually get iPad sold here around 2 months after lunch. Do you think it's worth for waiting Air 2? I am not sure, what 'new' features will be in Air 2 that made me sorry if I buy now, except 64gb with the price of current 32gb.

Any advice and share are most welcome!

Many thanks!

2. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

Hopefully there is a keynote of the new iPad sometime in the next month or so. So if I was you, I would wait until the announcement of the new feature etc and base your purchase on the announcement.

3. matttye macrumors 601

If you buy after the Air 2 announcement then the Air should have come down in price, so whether you get the new Air or the current Air it's still worth waiting.

'Tis what I'm doing. Plus I find all Apple devices without exception run iOS best if they are the current generation devices.

4. Bromio macrumors 6502

At this moment, it is worth.

However, I should have bought my iPad Air three months ago...

5. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Yeah, what is a couple more months I guess unless you need one now, money is thought and are planning on getting the base model (which I've now seen as low as $379). It all comes down to what it is going to have. I think pretty much these are given now:

* TouchID
    * At least A8 processor, updated GPU etc.

If that is all it is then it will be a big disappointment at least to me.

I've bought every model of the iPad except the "4" and always passed down my current version to different family members. If that is all it is that won't be enough for me to get an Air 2 and pass my 128gb LTE Air down to replace someone else's iPad 2.

Things that could sway me to upgrade:
    * 2gb or more RAM
    * NFC (Apple Pay)
    * Higher resolution
    * Better screen (more scratch and shatter resistant)

6. Nee412 macrumors 6502

I have a first generation iPad mini at the moment, but now I've got an iPhone 6+ on order I feel I want a bigger screen for my iPad. I'm waiting to see what happens with the iPad Air 2 though.

Like others have said even if it isn't a big enough upgrade, the current Air will go down in price when the Air 2 is released.

7. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I'm sorry but why on earth would you want Apple Pay on an iPad? That has to be the most inconvenient thing to do in the world.

8. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

"The most inconvenient thing to do in the world" ..?
    The best wallet is the wallet you have with you.

9. Isamilis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the sharing. I actually need the iPad now, could not stand for my current iPad 2 as the screen is too sharp to my eyes, I couldn't comfortably reading book too long. To be honest, I don't really care on Touch ID, NFC etc. I need iPad for reading my college text book and papers. Also do some recording during the class, that's why bigger is better for me.

10. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Not sure why iPad Air 2 launch is being dull. There is a lot of areas to improve on. It can get thinner and lighter, or significantly improve CPU/GPU, more RAM.

I currently have iPad 3, and Apple is not convincing me to upgrade at all with the iPad Air they currently have and no news of the upcoming one.

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Like you, I have the original iPad Mini. I was hoping that a big upgrade would appear but so far it looks like an slightly upgraded iPad Air will be announced in October. I am ready for a larger screen too so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

----------

If I had an iPad 2, I'd definitely get this next iPad being announced in October. It will be a HUGE upgrade for you.

12. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I want NFC which at first will just be Apple Pay. I want to be able to use my iPad if needed but also be able to manage my accounts that are then synced to my iPhone(s).

Then of course there are going to be lots of other uses for NFC in the future when Apple opens up the API's next year.

I'm not saying it is a deal breaker, but it is one of the things that would help sway me to upgrading.

13. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Given what you need it for get an Air now. If what you say is true re the delay for Indonesia then the new machine is nearly 3 months away.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I'm not sure I would care about NFC in an iPad, but I would certainly like the dedicated encrypted payment chip in it. And indeed in all Apple products from now on.

There is more to Apple Pay than NFC.

15. addictzz macrumors 6502

I agree with almost all of these except NFC. As much as I would love to see NFC in iPad, I don't think I am gonna tapping my iPad through the scanner. So I don't think it's a necessary upgrade.

Screen-wise I hope Apple make it more rigid somehow. The current iPad Air feels a bit flimsy with hollow-feel on the screen.