Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new iPad Airs arrive almost a year and a half after the previous models, offering almost 20 changes and upgrades.

2022-iPad-Air-vs-2024-iPad-Air-Feature.jpg

The 2022 iPad Air was a minor upgrade that added features such as the M1 chip and a 12MP Ultra Wide front-facing camera with Center Stage. The 2024 refresh is more substantial, headlining with a larger size option for the first time, bringing it in line with devices like the iPad Pro, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro, which are available in two sizes.

The ‌2022 iPad Air models have now been discontinued by Apple, but they may still be found refurbished and with third-party resellers for lower prices. As such, some customers may be weighing up whether to buy the 2022 ‌iPad Air or the new 2024 models.

The iPad Airs from 2022 and 2024 share most of their key features, so should you consider buying or sticking with the older model to save money? This breakdown also serves as a way to clearly see all the differences that the new ‌iPad Air brings to the table.

iPad Air (2022)iPad Air (2024)
10.9-inch display11- or 13-inch display
M1 chip (5nm, N5)M2 chip (5nm enhanced, N5P)
3.2GHz CPU clock speed3.49GHz CPU clock speed
8-core GPU10-core GPU
68.25GB/s memory bandwidth100GB/s memory bandwidth
Neural Engine40% faster Neural Engine
Media engine for hardware-accelerated H.264 and HEVCMedia engine for hardware-accelerated H.264, HEVC, ProRes, and ProRes RAW
Video decode engineHigher-bandwidth video decode engine
ProRes encode and decode engine
Image signal processor (ISP)"New" image signal processor (ISP)
Smart HDR 3Smart HDR 4
12MP Ultra Wide front-facing cameraLandscape 12MP Ultra Wide front-facing camera
Wi-Fi 6 connectivityWi-Fi 6E connectivity
Physical SIM card sloteSIM only
Apple Pencil hover
Supports Apple Pencil (USB-C) and Apple Pencil (2nd generation)Supports Apple Pencil (USB-C) and Apple Pencil Pro
Supports Magic Keyboard for iPad and Smart Keyboard FolioSupports Magic Keyboard for iPad
64GB or 256GB storage 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB storage
Available in Space Gray, Starlight, Pink, Purple, and BlueAvailable in Space Gray, Starlight, Purple, and Blue

The most important part of the new iPad Air is the larger display size option, which provides a way for customers who don't need features like ProMotion and a LiDAR scanner to obtain a bigger screen that's better for productivity and content consumption at a lower price point. Beyond this larger new model, the M2 chip, Apple Pencil hover and Apple Pencil Pro support, and landscape front-facing camera are valuable improvements. That being said, it is certainly not essential to upgrade from the previous model to the new iPad Air. Unless you have an entry-level iPad or an iPad Air from before 2020, or explicitly want a 13-inch model, it is likely not worth upgrading.

Article Link: iPad Air 2022 vs. iPad Air 2024 Buyer's Guide: 19 Differences Compared

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Arguably the most important part of this update is the increased base storage. Otherwise all the chip upgrades remain hampered by iPad os.
Being excited about an additional 64GB of internal storage is one of the most pathetic parts of being in the Apple ecosystem.

The 2020 iPad Air should have offered these new storage tiers.

Apple has got us bad!

Oh, well, at least it's there now and for future refreshes. And no price increase despite the better storage tiers, just like we saw when iPhones 13 jumped to 128GB.

I also did not expect Apple to ditch 2nd Gen. Pencil and give the Air Pencil Pro compatibility.

But considering all the new tech that's making wireless charging and the landscape-oriented front-facing camera possible, it does make sense that 2nd Gen. Pencil couldn't work with this generation.

I'm impressed overall with the new line-up. They made iPad Air great again.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Would the last iPad Pro with M2 support the Pencil Pro like the new iPad Air M2…
If so, ı would buy the last gen IPP instead of the new iPad Air
Only the iPads announced today work with Pencil Pro.

There's all new wireless charging module in these new models, to have both the camera and inductive charging sit on top of each other. So it actually checks out, sort of.

Pencil Pro only works with M4 Pro and M2 Air.

Reactions: Jovijoker and sos47

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I REALLY want to know the battery DRAIN on the new Magic Keyboards for the new iPad Pros. The existing ones being the only supported keyboard option for the new Airs does not have me as excited for the "13-inch" iPad Air as I had hoped I'd be.

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
I feel they could have at least added Pro Motion or even Mini LED as a more substantial upgrade, still just a vanilla 60hz LCD. That way it would still be the “one step behind” the Pro’s it used to be.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Is this the end of physical sim cellular? Had heard they’d removed the sim slot on the iPhone in the US, but they’re yet to do away with physical slots in the UK.

Edit: Looking on the Apple Store app, yes. Only iPads not updated today still take sim cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovijoker

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Also this was discussed in an earlier article today.
Apple's comparison page confirms that cellular configurations of the new iPad Pro models are limited to sub-6GHz bands for 5G. mmWave 5G was supported on the previous two iPad Pro generations, but in the U.S. only and never elsewhere.

Apple has yet to explain why it removed mmWave support from the iPad Pro. mmWave is a set of 5G frequencies that can provide very fast speeds at short distances, which is ideal for dense urban areas. By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas.
Obviously if this is a concern then use the recent mmWave capable iPhone Pro hotspot that supports that.

defean

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2017
I just ordered a base iPad Air (2024) as a family device. I assumed that the Apple Pencil (2nd gen) I use with my iPad Pro (2018) can be used with the Air. After I read this comparison and checked the Apple website, the 2nd gen Apple Pencil is not listed as a compatible device for the new Air!

For now I will stick with my order. I understand, that the new iPads have a different inductive charging connector. So I would be fine if the 2nd gen Pencill can't charge but I would be still able to use the Pencil. But likely I won't be even able to pair my old Pencil with the new iPad Air. If that's the case I'll either cancel my order or send the Air back.

I am not buying another Pro Pencil just for the Air. This is really disappointing!

If there's any info out there if and to what level the older Pencil is compatible with the Air, please share, thank you!

Reactions: Jovijoker and Huck

Totorotarrot

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
Omg new one is not supporting the old pencil?? Also I like the folio keyboard cuz it’s more water proof and I mainly let my kid uses it at restaurants. Having a cheaper keyboard that I wipe with alcohol and replace every year is much better than that crazy expensive keyboard.

roblognick

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Just purchased on a 13” Air with the new Apple Pencil Pro. Was thinking about the iPad Pro M4 but it’s so expensive and to get the best version with the highest spec chip you need to buy 1TB or higher for some reason.

Now I need to get the Logitech Combo keyboard because and the Magic Keyboard is horrid. But the delivery date is currently the end of the month for the 13” model.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
How does it compare to the 4th gen iPad Pro? Would the 13 inch be a good upgrade still. With Apple Pencil pro being compatible I'm wondering if the Air is basically better than the M1 Pro, besides the screen quality.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Smart Folio Keyboard isn't listed as compatible on the new model but I don't see a reason for it not to be.
Seems like an odd omission if only because Apple stopped selling that case recently.
Thinking about taking mine to the Apple Store next week after launch to see if they are or aren't.

egdiroh

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
I just ordered a base iPad Air (2024) as a family device. I assumed that the Apple Pencil (2nd gen) I use with my iPad Pro (2018) can be used with the Air. After I read this comparison and checked the Apple website, the 2nd gen Apple Pencil is not listed as a compatible device for the new Air!

For now I will stick with my order. I understand, that the new iPads have a different inductive charging connector. So I would be fine if the 2nd gen Pencill can't charge but I would be still able to use the Pencil. But likely I won't be even able to pair my old Pencil with the new iPad Air. If that's the case I'll either cancel my order or send the Air back.

I am not buying another Pro Pencil just for the Air. This is really disappointing!

If there's any info out there if and to what level the older Pencil is compatible with the Air, please share, thank you!
The old magnetic pencil will not work at all with this device. The USB-C $79 pencil will though, it will also work with many older devices.

This is based on what they have documented, many years of experience with these, and what makes sense from an engineering perspective. I do not have any insider information.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL

Guess the “environmental impact” schtick they did with Mother Nature was all BS.

The FineWoven cases degrade faster so you have to buy new ones more often, meaning the old ones get thrown away… and now you’ll have to buy a new Apple Pencil for a new iPad because the old one won’t work.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Ordered the 11" Air to upgrade from my 3rd Generation Air. We will see if it's that much of an improvement. Even though the 3rd generation was released in March of 2019 it feels like forever ago.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Ordered the 11" Air to upgrade from my 3rd Generation Air. We will see if it's that much of an improvement. Even though the 3rd generation was released in March of 2019 it feels like forever ago.
Same spot as you moving on from a gen 3 air. Although going to give the 13" a go. Always wanted to try a larger iPad but the cost of the 12.9" pro was and still too cost prohibitive for me. Plus, the feature set of the pro models is way beyond my needs and my use of an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.