Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Community Wide Red Alert

At first I thought it was just one retailer Apple is no doubt drying up the supply chain, and helping clear retailer on hand stock (so they can order more iPad Air 3's) if they have not already. Apple is clearly staggering their retail partners and when they drop to $399 a $100 discount. typically done, a few months before a new iPad is announced.

http://wheniskeynote.com/

Probably a new iPad Air 3 to be the high light of the event. Which will be Holiday 2016 Focused with new iPods (for gifts) and Beats Headphones which every kid coast to coast will be drooling for.

iPad Air 3 (Specs I hope)
New Name iPad Air Pro
A9X CPU
DDR4 RAM (uses less power)
USB Type C Port (faster charging)
3D Force Touch
Better Speakers

Apple will not add Stylus Apple pencil support it will keep that iPad Pro Exclusive for "Pros" artists etc

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm dismayed though by the assertion that the battery may shrink, yet again. C'mon Apple?!

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
THERE WILL BE NO MORE KEYNOTE THIS YEAR AND NO IPAD AIR 3 EITHER. 2016.

Or.... maybe not...

http://www.cultofmac.com/388900/apple-may-launch-ipad-air-3-this-year-after-all/

BUT PROBABLY NOT.

If the iPad Air 3 LACKS an A9X CPU or 3D Force Touch Apple can really go "F" themselves I will be beyond pissed.
thats all I care about.

As far as the Battery Shrinking That actually makes me Happy because in a way it confirms DDR4 memory which uses less power and a smaller battery making room for the Haptic Feedback Engine which causes 3D Force Touch same as the 6s which had to shrink its battery.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Apple had better take care of the chassis and screen vibration problem or I'm OUT. It's a dead horse but I'm going to keep beating it. If they do handle, I am so IN.

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Community Wide Red Alert

Set condition Red. Aye, captain!

72yivr.gif

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I think the Air 3 will arrive this November, or around March 2016. I'm still very happy with my Air, and I will keep it until I upgrade to the Air 3. I would love to see the Air 3 have the same rounded design as the iPhone 6, and have a higher screen resolution.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I want an Air 3 that doesn't change the design as it is the perfect balance of weight, thinness, and power, I also really like the Smart Covers. I would love the Air 3 to be able to continue to use them. I also think having it designed like the iPhone 6 will make it harder to pick up and hold, it's already super thin and hard to hold, lol.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I think the Air 3 will arrive this November, or around March 2016. I'm still very happy with my Air, and I will keep it until I upgrade to the Air 3. I would love to see the Air 3 have the same rounded design as the iPhone 6, and have a higher screen resolution.

If it were going to arrive at the same time as the iPad Pro I would think they would have at least added a line mentioning its existence, like the iPad mini 4....

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Launching a new iPad Air right now might steal sales from the iPad Pro. However, I definitely think a new iPad Air is on the way. I think Apple will announce it at their usual March event along with updated Mac hardware and a new Apple Watch (which hopefully has a thinner design, better battery life and cheaper starting price). The iPad Pro with its large size and large price will no doubt appeal to a smaller audience than the standard iPad and iPad mini but Apple should still give it a few months on the market before introducing another product which may lower its potential sales (just like the original iPad mini killed the sales of the iPad 4).

When Apple does release the iPad Air 3 (or iPad 7 or maybe they'll just call it iPad) I'd almost be willing to bet that it will be a smaller and slightly scaled back version of the iPad Pro. So in other words, it should have:

1. Apple Pencil Support (This is a big deal. Opening up the Apple Pencil to more hardware will increase sales and recuperate development cost). Wouldn't it be nice if the iPad Air 3 actually came with an Apple Pencil instead of it being sold separately?

2. A9 chip. I think they will keep the A9X exclusive to the the Pro model.

3. 2-3GB of RAM. Again, I think they will save the top specs like 4GB of RAM for the iPad Pro.

4. Very Important: Kill off the 16GB models and replace them with 32GB.

5. Possibly 3D touch

Reactions: vanzantapple

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
There is NO WAY that Apple will put 4GB of RAM in the iPA3.
I very much doubt the 4K screen.
A new iPad this year? nope.
Before July next year??? That's a bigger question.

If a new iPad Air came out today I'd be happy to be wrong.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Launching a new iPad Air right now might steal sales from the iPad Pro. However, I definitely think a new iPad Air is on the way. I think Apple will announce it at their usual March event along with updated Mac hardware and a new Apple Watch (which hopefully has a thinner design, better battery life and cheaper starting price). The iPad Pro with its large size and large price will no doubt appeal to a smaller audience than the standard iPad and iPad mini but Apple should still give it a few months on the market before introducing another product which may lower its potential sales (just like the original iPad mini killed the sales of the iPad 4).

When Apple does release the iPad Air 3 (or iPad 7 or maybe they'll just call it iPad) I'd almost be willing to bet that it will be a smaller and slightly scaled back version of the iPad Pro. So in other words, it should have:

1. Apple Pencil Support (This is a big deal. Opening up the Apple Pencil to more hardware will increase sales and recuperate development cost). Wouldn't it be nice if the iPad Air 3 actually came with an Apple Pencil instead of it being sold separately?

2. A9 chip. I think they will keep the A9X exclusive to the the Pro model.

3. 2-3GB of RAM. Again, I think they will save the top specs like 4GB of RAM for the iPad Pro.

4. Very Important: Kill off the 16GB models and replace them with 32GB.

5. Possibly 3D touch

I highly doubt an iPad Air 3 this year for 2 Reasons But you have some good points

What happens to the iPad Air 2? they can't just sell it at $399 thats the price of the Mini 4
and secondly, What is there to upgrade Its got the best display I have seen, and its the fastest tablet I've used.

Ok so what if they do make an iPad Air 3 ? My guess is No Pencil/Stylus Support that will be iPad Pro Exclusive

#1. A9X CPU (A9 chips are for Phone models)
#2. DDR4 RAM uses less power a no brainer
#3. USB Type C port (high doubt it)
#4. 3D Force Touch Haptic Feedback, Peek and Pop are a bif part of iOS 9 going forward if its missing 3D Force Touch its Obsolete the day it launches.
#5. Base Model is 32GB at $499
#6. Probably Thinner using 7000 series Aluminum

They Will Sell More than EVER in their History, But Apple Pencil support, they will keep that 100% on the iPad Pro if not you can just get a iPad Air 3 and get work done.

Also might get renamed iPad Air Pro

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I highly doubt an iPad Air 3 this year for 2 Reasons But you have some good points

What happens to the iPad Air 2? they can't just sell it at $399 thats the price of the Mini 4
and secondly, What is there to upgrade Its got the best display I have seen, and its the fastest tablet I've used.

Ok so what if they do make an iPad Air 3 ? My guess is No Pencil/Stylus Support that will be iPad Pro Exclusive

#4. 3D Force Touch Haptic Feedback, Peek and Pop are a bif part of iOS 9 going forward if its missing 3D Force Touch its Obsolete the day it launches.

They Will Sell More than EVER in their History, But Apple Pencil support, they will keep that 100% on the iPad Pro if not you can just get a iPad Air 3 and get work done.

If u would just say iPad Air 3 will have its CPU updated to A9 and chassis vibration gone later on this October, I might just believe your story.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007

They use DRAM, it's better. Also, no 3D Touch if not on iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.