All iPads Ipad air 3 vs ipad pro 10.5 refurbished by apple

royce73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
I’m gonna upgrade my 6 gen ipad 9.7 next week and it’s hard to decide between ipad air 3 new or refurbished ipad pro 10.5 1 year warranty from apple...they are both 469$....
Any suggestions?

Seanm87

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
If they are the same price get the pro. Considering they just put an a10 in the new iPad I’d say it’s going to be supported for quite a while.

Reactions: royce73

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
10.5 Pro all the way. 4 speakers offers are drastically improved audio experience. Plus the bass on the 10.5 Pro is awesome.

Reactions: Bala0509

zkap

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2019
I had the same dilemma. Decided to upgrade to a more powerful iPad in anticipation of iPadOS and was choosing between the Air 3 and the Pro 10,5. Decided to get the Pro for three main reasons: 1. Extra gigabyte of RAM, 2. ProMotion, 3. Quad speakers.
The way I see it, the only thing the Air 3 has over the Pro 10,5 is the A12, as opposed to the A10X. But I think this difference isn't that big as both chips will perform great and you'll use the 4GB of RAM more than you'd use the capabilities of the A12.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
Air has BT 5 and faster LTE. The Air also has no camera bump (although that's because the Pro's camera is much better). Also, the Air can use Logitech Crayon, and I believe AppleCare+ is cheaper for the Air.

I got the Pro.

BTW, in addition to the various other obvious benefits of the Pro like quad speakers and ProMotion, even just having the flash on the Pro is a bonus. It makes for easier document scanning, and it comes in handy as a flashlight in the dark.

royce73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Yeah...that’s the risk...it is covered by 3 months warranty tough....

Siamchaim

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
London
I bought a iPad 4 years and years ago, refurbished from the Apple store. It came with a 12 month warranty, and the iPad literally died a few weeks after 12 months of purchase.

I took it back to the Apple store, and they refused to do anything for me, the repair bill was £180 which was more than the cost of buying a 2nd hand iPad at that time.

There is an EU law which states that if there is a manufacturing fault that the manufacturer has to make right the defect for up to 5 YEARS after purchase.

I mentioned that to the Apple rep and they refused to accept it, saying there is no evidence it is a manufacturing defect. The thing is, it's a completely sealed unit, no water damage or anything, how can it be anything other than manufacturing defect? They did some tests on it and said it had a logic board error. Something popped on the logic board.

Anyways. I dont trust Apple refurb products anymore, they were faulty products returned, fixed (inadequately in my experience) and resold to the poor buyer.

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
I’m gonna upgrade my 6 gen ipad 9.7 next week and it’s hard to decide between ipad air 3 new or refurbished ipad pro 10.5 1 year warranty from apple...they are both 469$....
Any suggestions?
Pro hands down. Promotion, 4 speakers, the A10X is still a beast, specially made for iPad instead of the Air chip that is used in last years iPhone.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
I literally had the same internal debate. I pulled the trigger on the Pro 10.5 and it arrived yesterday. It's a beast compared to my original air. I made the right choice. And as to the refurb issue - I got my daughter a refurb'd Air 2 two years ago and it's been a rock. I've gotten several devices from the refurb store with no issues.

royce73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
I literally had the same internal debate. I pulled the trigger on the Pro 10.5 and it arrived yesterday. It's a beast compared to my original air. I made the right choice. And as to the refurb issue - I got my daughter a refurb'd Air 2 two years ago and it's been a rock. I've gotten several devices from the refurb store with no issues.
Did u buy the pro refurb?

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I went with the air 3 for: a12, no camera bump, no known white spot issue. But the pro is a good choice too.

For all the comparison threads that have been done here, they’re like 95% the same device, and the 5% that’s different isn’t all that different. Can’t go wrong either way.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
I went with the air 3 for: a12, no camera bump, no known white spot issue. But the pro is a good choice too.

For all the comparison threads that have been done here, they’re like 95% the same device, and the 5% that’s different isn’t all that different. Can’t go wrong either way.
There is a thread here now on iPad Air 3 white spots. Only a few cases but the iPad Air 3 is still young.

royce73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Aaand changed my mind again...got the amazon renewed one...one for me one for my girl..it was 356$ no tax vs 469+ tax at apple...let’s see how they look ..worst case i have 90 days to return..

royce73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Got both ipads today ...they look and work like brand new..what a premium upgrade from the 9.7 6th gen...

Reactions: EugW

Aydy

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Got both ipads today ...they look and work like brand new..what a premium upgrade from the 9.7 6th gen...
Which model did you go with in the end?

Edit. Just spotted your earlier post for iPad Pro. Fwiw, I think you made the right decision. The 10.5 pro is a stellar choice.

Last edited:

royce73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Which model did you go with in the end?

Edit. Just spotted your earlier post for iPad Pro. Fwiw, I think you made the right decision. The 10.5 pro is a stellar choice.
Yep...i got the 10.5 pro..very very happy with it..
And... both of them still have apple care+ ...one for 5 more months the other one for almost a year...i guess i just got really lucky...😀

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
There is a thread here now on iPad Air 3 white spots. Only a few cases but the iPad Air 3 is still young.
Yes I know, that’s why I said “no KNOWN issue.” Issues may yet develop, which would perhaps change the calculus, from my perspective.