iPad Air 3 with stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by e270889o, Oct 16, 2015.

1. e270889o macrumors member

Do we know something about Air 3 having digitalizer for the slylus?
    What do you think?

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I haven't seen anything. My guess would be that the stylus/Apple Pencil will be exclusive to the iPad Pro.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'm on record as saying that the introduction of the Apple Pencil with the Air 3 depends upon the response to the iPad Pro. If sales of the iPad Pro are weak (or more specifically the Apple Pencil) then there is a greater likelihood of the Air 3 coming out with support for it.

4. newellj macrumors 601

It's very likely IMO that Apple will reserve stylus support for the iPP line. I could be wrong...

5. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Smart Keyboard & Apple Pencil is a definite possibility. I don't see why Apple would restrict Smart Keyboard & Apple Pencil to only a very niche market of the iPad Pro when they can sell more accessories with the more popular iPad Air 3 and iPad Mini even.

6. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

maybe the tech necessary inside the ipad pro for the pressure sensitivity to work is too expensive for the air ...

I think they won't give us pencil support until at least the 4th gen air. Which I absolutely would hate!
    Since years all I'm saying ALL the time about any ipad is: "they need to make it so that you can REALLY write on it like on paper, in order to take quick notes during meetings and stuff."

Now it seems to be here with the Pro, but this thing is just too big to carry around the office like a small notebook..

7. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

I don't think so. Pressure sensitivity is on the pencil itself not on the display. Plus 3D touch display already is Pressure sensitive.

8. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

In a year or two I wouldn't be surprised if every iDevice has Pencil support + 3D Touch support. It just might be a slow rollout.

9. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

My hope is the the air 3 will be a copy of the iPad pro in the size of 10"

10. newellj macrumors 601

My hunch is that Apple will reserve features like stylus support for the "Pro" line, sort of like you can only get 32GB RAM and a dGPU in the 15" rMBP. I could be totally wrong, though.

11. FallenLegend macrumors member

FallenLegend

I hope you're wrong. I want the pencil.

12. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

I second this, apart from the screen size difference the only things that distinguish the iPP and the iPA lines are its accessories. I think Apple would try to force people interested in the Pencil to go and buy an iPP instead of going for a cheaper iPA3. But I do think there might be a possibility of the smart connector coming to the iPA lines..
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---
    I actually am not too sure if 3D Touch would come to an iPad... for me it seems a bit unnecessary and adds bulk on the iPad for not much productive gain. On the small screen they are useful because the screen estate is fairly limited and you want innovative ways to intuitively display information. But on an iPad I feel that they'd be more like a gimmick. Kind of how the Pencil would be a bit useless on a iPhone.

13. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I don't use the 3D but that's me. also I don't think the pencil and 3D will go together.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think Apple wants more profits by selling a lot of Apple Pencils and Smart Keyboards for ALL iPads. Air 3 should get one too.

15. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I believe the Pro has a special digitizer built into the display that is required for the Pencil to work. Otherwise the pencil would already work on other iPads.

16. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Here we go again with that argument...

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am sorry what do you mean???

18. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

I thought the pros display only has higher input refresh rate for precision tracking and all the sensors were on the pencil it self?

19. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What other selling point besides a spec increase can they use besides Apple Pencil support to sell their new iPad Air 3? It's a cert they will add it. Pencil on a sketchbook sized 9.7 inch display. I can see the promo video in my head.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yes they need to

They need a selling point for the new next air as they know air 2 is still an amazing device

21. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

It isn't even safe *if* there will be an Air 3...

22. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Even if it isn't called the Air 3, the 10" iPads are still 40% of total iPad sales estimates, despite not getting a refresh, and the introduction of a third tier in the product line. The 10" iPad is sticking around, and while we don't know what it will be called, we may as well just call it the iPad Air 3 for simplicity's sake.

I honestly don't know what point you are trying to make as it relates the topic at hand.

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Apple probably makes a killing from those keyboards and pencils, I'd be shocked if they don't have it for the iPad Air 3

24. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Not excited about the IPA3, my IPA2 works wonders atm, especially coupled with my Logitech qode pro magnetic keyboard, like the flexibility of using landscape and portrait and love the backlit keys.

Ive been using keyboard/ipad since gen 1 days, and even back then wondered about an ipad/mba combo. Ie runs ios in tablet mode, and osx when keyboard attached, for me the IPP was a huge letdown and i abstained from upgrading. I have tried to replace my MBP with ipad and my productivity and workflow falls appreciably, even simple things are not as straight forward, and i miss the absence of finder. I have recently set up a qnap home server, and quite liking qsync. this works really well between my imac and rmbp, but is not so well suited for ios.
    Thus for FB, twitter and writing an occasional document on pages, the IPP may suffice. I quite like having all 3TB on my qnap server, with my home documents all synced under qsync.

25. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

Yeah the killing has to be so big they still have 5 weeks time to deliver...