Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auroraars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an ipad for uni this year. It'll be used for notetaking, revising and drawing.

I was inclined to get the air 3 at first but upon further research, I found out that a few people have issues with bright/white spots.

ipad pros are out of the question for me as they're too expensive, even refurbished ones.

should I get the air 3 nonetheless? or wait for the rumored air 4 though uni would've commenced for at least 1 - 2 months by then.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an ipad for uni this year. It'll be used for notetaking, revising and drawing.

I was inclined to get the air 3 at first but upon further research, I found out that a few people have issues with bright/white spots.

ipad pros are out of the question for me as they're too expensive, even refurbished ones.

should I get the air 3 nonetheless? or wait for the rumored air 4 though uni would've commenced for about 1 - 2 months by then.
the air 4 won't be there before the second half of the year, maybe even the end of the year... if you can wait, it would be a much better device... but the wait might be long... by then you could also have an A12 basic ipad for $329...

Reactions: rui no onna

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Air 3 is a really great device at a good price, and as per the guy above, unlikely that the SOC will be updated soon. It's a good buy right now.

Reactions: auroraars

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
If I wanted a bigger iPad, I’d have to go with the Air also. I wouldn’t pay Pro prices for the A12Z model even if money was no object. The Pro line will surely get the A13 before the Air/Mini, so I also think an Air 4 in the near future would be unlikely. It would also drive sales away from the 10.2 (as an upgrade to the Air line would then get 3 processor generations forward rather than 2) and the 10.2 only came out late last year.

The Air is now appearing as a refurb on the Apple Store and the saving would make me more inclined to buy in spite of the bright spot risk (it seems much lower on the Air than on the 2017 Pro mercifully.)

Reactions: auroraars

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

should I get the air 3 nonetheless? or wait for the rumored air 4 though uni would've commenced for at least 1 - 2 months by then.

For your intended use case the basic iPad is likely more than enough.
Besides I recommend to regard these things as tools. Any current iPad can be used with the pencil for drawing, writing etc. If you’re keen on a tool, buy it when you need it.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Welcome to MacRumors!

Which country are you in? I’d suggest waiting for the Back-To-School promotion on the iPad Air 3 if that promotion is available in your country.

In the US of A, the promotion should start in about 6 weeks or so, and the iPad Air 3 will likely be included as a qualifying purchase. Last year the iPad Air 3 purchased in this promotion would get you free wireless Beats headphones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.