Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleman3000

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
What is everyone getting for their new Air?

I got a Smart Keyboard Folio and I'm looking for a low profile case to use as well.

inbloomgc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
California
Anyone get their cases and the auto sleep/wake function responds with it? I got a 3rd-party case (Fintie) on amazon advertised for the Air4 with auto sleep/wake but I noticed it doesn't work.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
What is everyone getting for their new Air?

I got a Smart Keyboard Folio and I'm looking for a low profile case to use as well.

How do you like the Smart Keyboard folio? I am using the Logitech folio touch, and while I like it it’s a bit clunky. It’s nice cause of the backlit keyboard though.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Anyone get their cases and the auto sleep/wake function responds with it? I got a 3rd-party case (Fintie) on amazon advertised for the Air4 with auto sleep/wake but I noticed it doesn't work.
Yep, got a case from Amazon that’s advertised as having the auto sleep/wake feature but doesn’t seem to work.

Can‘t find any settings for it either.

inbloomgc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
California
Yep, got a case from Amazon that’s advertised as having the auto sleep/wake feature but doesn’t seem to work.

Can‘t find any settings for it either.

Yeah, is there an auto lock/unlock setting in Display & Brightness in iPadOS 14? B/c it's not there on my Air 4 settings, which is up to date.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I prefer the blue or green smart folios to the ‘Rose Gold’ orange (I wish Apple made a plum iPad Air folio too), but if I get a folio, it probably won’t be the orange.

Ordered another padded sleeve for the Air.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I'm curious how different colour iPad Air's look with Apple's magic keyboard. Obviously the space grey will match, but not sure how the others will look.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I'm searching for the best option for a case that holds the Pencil in places as well. I've seen some that wrap around it and others with a dedicated slot for it. I have to act fast though, my iPad is due to arrive Monday... Ideally I'll order today.

icebeng

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Are there any nice clear cases available?
I really don't want to cover up the nice new colours with a opaque case, but I'm clumsy and my iPad will need the protection.
I'm wondering if Otterbox will release a clear version later on.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I ordered an off brand keyboard trackpad case. The Logitech is kind of pricy but did have F row keys but no numbers on the F keys. The Magic Keyboard Case doesn’t have F keys.

I’m going to try this one:

IVSO Touch - for New iPad Air 4 2020 10.9 inch Case with Keyboard, Trackpad Keyboard Case for iPad Pro 11 2018/2020, iPad Air 4th Gen Keyboard Case with Touchpad/Apple Pencil Holder(Backlit-Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H536WRX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_z2yOFbMW0KQY1

I need the F keys as I want to use it as a secondary remote laptop but I do development so I use F keys all the time in debug.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I ordered an off brand keyboard trackpad case. The Logitech is kind of pricy but did have F row keys but no numbers on the F keys. The Magic Keyboard Case doesn’t have F keys.

I’m going to try this one:

IVSO Touch - for New iPad Air 4 2020 10.9 inch Case with Keyboard, Trackpad Keyboard Case for iPad Pro 11 2018/2020, iPad Air 4th Gen Keyboard Case with Touchpad/Apple Pencil Holder(Backlit-Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H536WRX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_z2yOFbMW0KQY1

I need the F keys as I want to use it as a secondary remote laptop but I do development so I use F keys all the time in debug.
For me, I wish didn't have a kickstand but rather a triangle base as I need to prop it on my lap.
But otherwise, it looks like a decent option.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
iPad folio cases now come covering the front and back!? it used to be magnet that covers the screen only. What people are opinions on this form of cover? yay or nay?

The price is ludicrous at $80!!

LeMo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2020
I think you confuse it with the SmartCover. Having had this on a Mini3 for the last 6 years, I agree that this option is presently missing for my Air4 - which means I am running with it naked...

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
iPad folio cases now come covering the front and back!? it used to be magnet that covers the screen only. What people are opinions on this form of cover? yay or nay?

The price is ludicrous at $80!!
I have the Folio case for my IPP 11” (which is the same thing as the folio for the new iPad aside from the camera cutout). While it’s alrite, I have to say, it needlessly adds weight to the device. I feel this as I am constantly using my iPad in portrait mode and often holding it in one hand. I am guessing the extra weight is due to the magnets on the rear side of the folio. I’d much rather the folio was a ultra thin case with edges. That would have provided at least some minimal side protection plus, more importantly, it would have reduced the weight. But then again, this is Apple with their somewhat misguided sense of form over function.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I have the Folio case for my IPP 11” (which is the same thing as the folio for the new iPad aside from the camera cutout). While it’s alrite, I have to say, it needlessly adds weight to the device. I feel this as I am constantly using my iPad in portrait mode and often holding it in one hand. I am guessing the extra weight is due to the magnets on the rear side of the folio. I’d much rather the folio was a ultra thin case with edges. That would have provided at least some minimal side protection plus, more importantly, it would have reduced the weight. But then again, this is Apple with their somewhat misguided sense of form over function.

I don't need to cover the back and don't care for it, the screen is where it is. I liked the old magnetic flap style. Every gram of weight counts when the device is handheld and portable.

Reactions: tymeframe

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I think you confuse it with the SmartCover. Having had this on a Mini3 for the last 6 years, I agree that this option is presently missing for my Air4 - which means I am running with it naked...
yea...smart cover, are these now discontinued?!

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I returned my smart folio, and ordered the ZuguCase, also have one on my 12.9 iPad Pro. Almost the same price, but the Zugu is so much better, only comes in black right now. Got it today.

Those that don’t like extra weight on their iPads wouldn’t like this one.

Last edited:

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I have upgraded my mom to new iPad Air and got her UAG Metropolis case (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/uag-ap...opolis-black-bm-black/6432747.p?skuId=6432747 ). Unfortunately is going to be returned. It is obvious that they just reworked their case for iPad Pro by cutting space for power button. Whole top is flimsy. I am definitely not recommending UAG Metropolis for new iPad Air. I have ordered Zugu Case ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LF2PYV7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I use that case on my iPad Mini and it is outstanding case. Based on my experience with it I hope it will be grat on new Air as well. I just wish that apple would still make leather cases. My mom had it on her old iPad Mini and it was build like a tank.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I'm returning the ESR Rebound Pencil case. Ive decided for the way I use it, a simple TPU case and screen protector is a better way to go. Went with the ESR Matte White and some iCarez matte screen protectors. Also shopping around for a magnetic pencil holder.

My (Amazon) review of the Rebound:

The fit is good. iPad Air 2020 fits nicely and is easy to get in and out. Buttons are accessible and functional. It wakes when you open and sleeps when you close. There is a spot for an Apple Pencil or similar stylus and it appears charging won't be an issue. To sum it up, it is fully functional as described.

I don't like it though. The cover is just a little too big and when closed, it protrudes the edge by a little. There is also a lot of play in the cover so the stress points seem likely to tear sooner rather than later--just a feeling, I can't back that up. Although the gray is pretty close to how it looks in the pictures, it seems way more blah in person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.