Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I ordered a cover that advertised that it had the lock function but it does not lock the iPad. It's not a big deal I guess but it makes the user experience much less smooth which is a shame. The case is great though and Iv'e had trouble finding a good one that protects the sides of the iPad and not just the corners so I might just keep this one I guess.

Did apple change the placement of the magnets on the Air in comparison with the Pro 11? My best guess is that this is an iPad Pro case and that the magnets are different but if that's the case then it's really frustrating. I use the magnetic wallet case for my iPhone XS but the case is for the X and the lock function doesn't work because the magnets changed a millimeter so it's too bad that the new iPad now also does not lock like it should with the case.

This is a picture of the case and the wallpaper is from the 2020 pro if I'm not incorrect.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
The microphone cutout placement also proves that it is a cover designed for the IPP and the Touch ID button is slightly covered by the case as well. I will try to return this and ordered another one which was designed specifically for the Air!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Personally, I use an iPad Pro 11 case on my iPad Air and it works fine. According to Apple, the magnets are virtually identical.

Pages from Accessory-Design-Guidelines 2022.jpg Pages from Accessory-Design-Guidelines 2022-2.jpg

Reactions: KaliYoni

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Personally, I use an iPad Pro 11 case on my iPad Air and it works fine. According to Apple, the magnets are virtually identical.

View attachment 2101285 View attachment 2101286
I also read that the Pro cases were supposed to fit the Air but the case I ordered definitively had issues with the fit, microphone cutouts etc plus the sleep wake function. Maybe the cover was just badly designed...

I ordered this one and hope that it will work: https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B09J2JJYSC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want a case that covers the sides of the iPad and has a built in pencil charger/holder so it was a bit difficult to find as most seem to be open on at least one side but hopefully this one will be good.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I also read that the Pro cases were supposed to fit the Air but the case I ordered definitively had issues with the fit, microphone cutouts etc plus the sleep wake function. Maybe the cover was just badly designed...

I ordered this one and hope that it will work: https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B09J2JJYSC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want a case that covers the sides of the iPad and has a built in pencil charger/holder so it was a bit difficult to find as most seem to be open on at least one side but hopefully this one will be good.

I had to snip out a larger opening for the Air's power button but the rest of the case fit fine including sleep/wake. But I chose a case with not much side coverage, so it's not comparable.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Update: The second case that I ordered (from Amazon) works like a charm and was clearly designed for this particular iPad and not for the pro. The microphone cut out out and the sleep wake button cut both line up perfectly and all of the sides of the iPad are protected, which is what I’ve been looking for, so I’m very happy! Oh and the sleep wake magnet function works!

Reactions: JPack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.