Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
not a big iPad user ,but given the sales with Best Buy, I need to get one for airplane entertainment, reading etc. nothing heavy, no keyboard. I have hard that the newer 10 Gen basic iPad is decent but has an issue with glare and therefore should consider the iPad Air? Any insight would be appreciated!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If it is same or highly similar price, I would pick iPad Air. 10th gen is positioned as a "budget" (cough) iPad by Apple so the feature set it misses could become pain points later.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Depends on price. Last year I was able to pick up iPad Air 4s for less than the 10th Gen and that was a no brainer. This year I've seen the 10th Gen discounted as low as $350 while I haven't seen any Air 4s (was hoping someone would have gotten a supply from Apple at that $350 price again) and the lowest I've seen the Air 5s is $499.

Reactions: Student of Life

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I think the low budget iPads feel cheap in build, compared to the Air, so I would never pick it. I would always be afraid to break it, and that is not a good experience.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I think the low budget iPads feel cheap in build, compared to the Air, so I would never pick it. I would always be afraid to break it, and that is not a good experience.

Interesting. I find the glass seems thicker and the overall heftiness of base iPads more solid and heavier. I always thought the point of Air versions was super thin and light weight. My preference has always been base iPads for these reasons. They seem to have fewer display anomalies too.

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalcuriosity

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
yes the 10thGen iPad was 340 and the 5th Gen air was $499 a bit of difference...

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Interesting. I find the glass seems thicker and the overall heftiness of base iPads more solid and heavier. I always thought the point of Air versions was super thin and light weight. My preference has always been base iPads for these reasons. They seem to have fewer display anomalies too.
I should add this based on the gen. 9 model, as I haven't held the gen. 10 yet. I just assume they seem alike. I never had that kind of thought with up to gen. 4 (Never interacted with models in between).

Air 2 is my favorite design so far, due to soft edges, lightness and thinness.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I went for a refurbished Air, because i don't want to pay full price so close to them being replaced. And i prefer fully laminated screens, which is why it had to be the Air.

Will probably replace with the bigger Air, if it really gets released. I think the bigger screen would be great when using it for sheet music and that is what i bought the iPad for. But the iPad Pro 12.9 is just too expensive... you can buy two iPad Airs for that price..

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I should add this based on the gen. 9 model, as I haven't held the gen. 10 yet. I just assume they seem alike. I never had that kind of thought with up to gen. 4 (Never interacted with models in between).

Air 2 is my favorite design so far, due to soft edges, lightness and thinness.

Yes, true. Lightness and thinness is very nice. I struggle between the solidity of base iPads vs comfort of Air models.

blj3303

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2023
not a big iPad user ,but given the sales with Best Buy, I need to get one for airplane entertainment, reading etc. nothing heavy, no keyboard. I have hard that the newer 10 Gen basic iPad is decent but has an issue with glare and therefore should consider the iPad Air? Any insight would be appreciated!
Which one did you choose.

Same boat here. I have a 6th gen iPad for the same stuff and it's showing its age and considered both the 10th generation iPad and the 5th generation Air. I opted for the 10th gen because after factoring in the sale price and trade-in, it's only going to cost $250. I have my MBP for heavy lifting, which is why I opted for the base iPad model. My new iPad is on back order, so haven't been able to gauge how much I like it.

Reactions: kp98077

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
The M1 is the key difference. That, along with 8 GB RAM will ensure that the Air has a lot more longevity.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

MackDaddy1962

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2023
Ohio, USA
I'm kind of in the same boat. I recently upgraded my trusty iPad 5th gen for a 9th gen 64GB. At $229 on Amazon it was a steal. It's exponentially faster and thus far has been flawless. It's just a streaming, surfing device while I'm in the living room for the most part (but could certainly be put to use elsewhere no doubt.) Already loaded up with IOS 17.1.2 (one of the reasons to upgrade, the 5th gens are done with OS updates.) Truthfully, it's really fast for what it is. I've got an iPhone 15 Pro Max and the iPad 9th gen is no slouch.

But, the allure of the larger laminated drop dead gorgeous screen, 8GB of RAM, quad speakers, Stupid fast processor, WiFi6, etc of the 5th gen Air has got me wanting it. All I need is WiFi and 64GB.

Right now $499 on Amazon (and most other places too.) If, for some blessed reason it drops to $449 anytime soon I'm nailing one. Amazon return policy even for iPad's is great, so I won't take a hit on the 9th gen unit.

At $449 the Air 5th gen is worth the squeeze for me at least. Heck, I'm almost 1/2 tempted today at $499. Truly can't justify it at $500, but $450 I'll take the dive no doubt and never look back.

Decisions, decisions..

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I'm kind of in the same boat. I recently upgraded my trusty iPad 5th gen for a 9th gen 64GB. At $229 on Amazon it was a steal. It's exponentially faster and thus far has been flawless. It's just a streaming, surfing device while I'm in the living room for the most part (but could certainly be put to use elsewhere no doubt.) Already loaded up with IOS 17.1.2 (one of the reasons to upgrade, the 5th gens are done with OS updates.) Truthfully, it's really fast for what it is. I've got an iPhone 15 Pro Max and the iPad 9th gen is no slouch.

But, the allure of the larger laminated drop dead gorgeous screen, 8GB of RAM, quad speakers, Stupid fast processor, WiFi6, etc of the 5th gen Air has got me wanting it. All I need is WiFi and 64GB.

Right now $499 on Amazon (and most other places too.) If, for some blessed reason it drops to $449 anytime soon I'm nailing one. Amazon return policy even for iPad's is great, so I won't take a hit on the 9th gen unit.

At $449 the Air 5th gen is worth the squeeze for me at least. Heck, I'm almost 1/2 tempted today at $499. Truly can't justify it at $500, but $450 I'll take the dive no doubt and never look back.

Decisions, decisions..
Seems odd that $50 difference is such a big sticking point for you, if you want one that much, just get it! The m1 iPads are definitely no slouches. Still love my m1 11" pro, feels just as fast and smooth a couple years later now. I just wish I had more use for it now that I have a MacBook

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington

Decisions, decisions..
I bought a 9th gen on sale as well as an Air 5 on sale here with the long return windows that are in place for the holidays. I am in the same boat where I wanted the great "steal" of a price on the 9th, but also as a bit of a tech enthusiast, I was so interested in the M1 and the 8GB RAM on the Air, so I wanted to try both out and see which draws me in more.

I love the Air, it's a fantastic device. I keep thinking about how future-proof it is with the ridiculously high ceiling the processor and RAM give you.... but with that in mind, all I really do with these are surf the web, scroll Reddit and Facebook, and create 5-8 minute movies (from multiple video clips from my phone taken on hikes, to post on Youtube) that I create in iMovie.

None of this pushes either device in the least. I did side by side tests browsing random websites, and opening the common apps I use. Between the two, apps and sites load either at identical speeds or in a few cases, just a milisecond or two slower on the 9th gen.

And the heaviest thing I do, creating those movies? Surprisingly the process is buttery smooth on both devices, with the heaviest part being the export of the final product. When creating the same exact movie on each device- when the Air was complete, the 9th gen was almost done as well- at somewhere around 80% complete at that moment, taking just a few more seconds to complete.

This is amazing to me how close the 9th gen is in speed on all of this, given the fact that clearly the A13 chip is not quite up there with the M1 (though Geekbench 6 on each shows the A13 at almost 1800 for single core CPU, and the Air at 2250- so the gap is truly not that wide). And the RAM difference, I thought would somehow cause issues- but nothing I was able to see- both were smooth as can be, even when doing split screen with two apps open and scrolling quickly up and down in those apps (Safari and either Facebook or Reddit).

So, I have a 9th gen I paid $250 for, and an Air I paid $499 for.... the Air is great, I like the idea of the extra overhead but at the moment it is not making a real world difference. The only noticeable difference is the slightly larger screen, and the speakers that are truly great on the Air (miles ahead of the sound I get out of the 9th gen).

But, I cannot decide if the Air is really worth double what I paid for the 9th gen. I can afford sticking with the Air, no problem- but the part of me that likes a bargain fears I may be better off sticking with the 9th gen.... but then I fear regretting returning the Air if I do that, given how nice it feels knowing I have that added horsepower. lol

Reactions: MackDaddy1962

MackDaddy1962

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2023
Ohio, USA
I read some of your posts @jm31828 and I feel the same as you. The 9th gen was an absolute steal at $229, and I've yet to see anything that makes me say this one just won't work, it's that good. But the slightly larger / better display, USB-C, and quad speakers with as you say far superior audio are a real draw for me on the Air. Plus as you say, again the "future proof" of the M1 & 8GB of RAM on the Air is really sweet. I'm a retired Data Center IT guy so yeah, I'm still a techie too. Even at 61.. Lol! I really shouldn't balk at the $500 price tag on the Air, that's a decent deal in itself.

Funny, the 9th Gen's at $229 didn't last long at all. They all got swooped up quick at that price. That tells you something right there too. Thus far I'm really enjoying it. Again, coming from a 5th gen it's like Porsche vs Honda.

Reactions: jm31828

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I read some of your posts @jm31828 and I feel the same as you. The 9th gen was an absolute steal at $229, and I've yet to see anything that makes me say this one just won't work, it's that good. But the slightly larger / better display, USB-C, and quad speakers with as you say far superior audio are a real draw for me on the Air. Plus as you say, again the "future proof" of the M1 & 8GB of RAM on the Air is really sweet. I'm a retired Data Center IT guy so yeah, I'm still a techie too. Even at 61.. Lol! I really shouldn't balk at the $500 price tag on the Air, that's a decent deal in itself.

Funny, the 9th Gen's at $229 didn't last long at all. They all got swooped up quick at that price. That tells you something right there too. Thus far I'm really enjoying it. Again, coming from a 5th gen it's like Porsche vs Honda.

Ah, a fellow IT guy- that explains that excitement over the higher ceiling CPU and RAM-wise. :)

$229 is downright amazing for the 9th gen- I thought I got a steal at $249 when I bought mine, never imagining it could drop any further.

It makes me wonder what Apple will do, considering the seemingly astronomical sales numbers on the 9th gen that have kept it on the market now 2 years after release-- that means millions of people out there have new iPads with only 3GB RAM.... I wonder if Apple will keep restrictions in place for quite some time around how resource intensive apps and even the OS can be?

Agreed, the $500 price tag on the Air is great- and it seems silly to be sitting here waffling on this, but part of me relishes being able to get something good for an amazing price, almost as much as I enjoy having high end tech specs. :)

Last edited:

MackDaddy1962

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2023
Ohio, USA
Agreed, the $500 price tag on the Air is great- and it seems silly to be sitting here waffling on this, but part of me relishes being able to get something good for an amazing price, almost as much as I enjoy having high end tech specs. :)
Bingo. I'm in a position (thankfully) I can afford either one, but being retired on a fixed income I look for stupendous buys when I can. The 9th Gen is certainly one of those. I'm going to hold off until Xmas or thereabouts and see what happens. I have a small group of great friends that we do a gift exchange. I always ask for Amazon gift cards. So... if I do decide to go Air I'll get it with some of my friends love! Ha!!

Reactions: Devyn89 and jm31828

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Bingo. I'm in a position (thankfully) I can afford either one, but being retired on a fixed income I look for stupendous buys when I can. The 9th Gen is certainly one of those. I'm going to hold off until Xmas or thereabouts and see what happens. I have a small group of great friends that we do a gift exchange. I always ask for Amazon gift cards. So... if I do decide to go Air I'll get it with some of my friends love! Ha!!
haha Great plan! :)

• Haha
Reactions: MackDaddy1962

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I’d get the Air 5 for sure unless price is the biggest concern. Gives you better future proofing (hopefully - no guarantees there). The Air definitely is fast and has better screen though.

Kargo

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
I was in a similar position to the OP as my 7th gen iPad is now starting to show its age, not to mention it’s been surviving on a very cheap third party display which doesn’t respond to the pencil in most areas. I’ve picked up a new 256GB model of the Air 5 for $629 - just seemed like a very good price to me, even with the new model on the horizon. I’m hoping to get at least 3 years out of it.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
It really boils down to whether you want USB-C or can suffer through Lightning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.