Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I could've said _for me_ but I figured that was implied. a 128GB _for me_ would be a waste of money because I can't imagine even getting to the 50+GB available on my new iPad. And since I got Applecare, even with an EPP discount, 128GB would've took me in the $1k+ range, at which point, I'd probably just buy an 11" MBA. (not counting the $150 keyboard case I've ordered)

Maybe so but an 11" MBA is not the same as having a 128GB iPad. It weighs more, its bigger, it doesn't have instant on and the battery doesn't last as long amongst other things. Certainly travelling and commuting with an iPad is far more practical then a laptop.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Maybe so but an 11" MBA is not the same as having a 128GB iPad. It weighs more, its bigger, it doesn't have instant on and the battery doesn't last as long amongst other things. Certainly travelling and commuting with an iPad is far more practical then a laptop.

True but it is also a mental barrier for me, I'm ok with an iPad as long as it is less than $1k :) I also rather have cellular than extra storage even though my chances of using cellular are low.

djvidi

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
Id take storage over LTE. You can always find a wifi hotspot in most cases or tether to your phone if needed but you can't do much about storage

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
My gut is that that isn't the comparison I'd be making. I understand you're trying to normalize price, but either you need/want cellular data or you don't. The storage quantity is a distinct question IMHO.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I found out that I couldn't tether because my AT&T plan is a now discontinued unlimited plan. So, I opted for the 128 and boy am I glad I did. My 64 had like 3GB free and now I have freedom to add more movies and such.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
no idea what people do with their ipads that means they need 128gb of storage.

Just need to be a little more organised about keeping apps and things that you never use.

It's like loading up 50 TV series at once or something just in case you get stuck on a desert island for a month.

I rip/encode all of my blu ray disks into digital copies that generally range from 8-12GB so when traveling, adding just a few movies chews up my available storage pretty quickly.

I could probably get by with 64GB but the cost/GB goes down as the storage goes up. Adding an additional 48GB (16 to 64GB) costs $200 while another 64GB costs $100. For me personally, $100 isn't that much, especially over the cost of a year or two and the added convenience is worth it. Can load all apps, music, and a bunch of video without micromanaging the storage. Of course, YMMV.

Also, I always used to get the LTE models but this year opted for an AT&T LTE hotspot (Unite) for $100 from Amazon--just popped in my old iPad SIM with my grandfathered unlimited data plan :)D) and now no longer need to pay the cellular premium.

jackofharts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
This. An extra £100 for cellular seemed like the right move...in the que...while choosing a ticket.

Reason 1:Hoping the UK are going to bring out some competitive data plans in next year, like sharing data.

Reason 2: I don't upgrade every year and when I do it's a big treat, so it's nice to have the bells and whistles.

Reason 3: No need to rush into a monthly data plan, but if I start travelling more with work etc... Option is there.

128 4G grey

Edit: I also hate draining my phone by tethering

Go big or go home.

I had 15 minutes to decide while waiting in line yesterday at Apple store. I went from Silver 64GB LTE to 128GB Space Grey LTE.

80% of my library in iTunes are in HD. I have Movies that are 8GB. This was the reason why.

As for LTE, IMO Wi-Fi is so 90's I can't bother looking or tethering.

foobi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Ofc 64GB LTE (4G)
Store your stupid pictures in iCloud/drive/dropbox etc and not in the iPad.

Stream music via spotify or something else.
Download tv and movies that you really need for the trip and change after time.

Caithsith

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
For me it was a no brainer to choose with cellular. Just in case my need meet the mobile internet.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I flirted with 128, but went with 64.
My reasoning was even with 128 I'm still not going to be able to fit ALL my music, films, photos, apps, books, etc.
I'm still going to have to pick and choose media.
As it is with 64 - I fit a full season of TV show, several movies, a few select home videos, photos and a bunch of graphic novels. I also downloaded all my latest podcasts and magazines.
I still have space.

Until Apple offers 2TB of cloud storage, I'll always have to manage media.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Which one would serve your day to day needs? I'm interested here in a general consensus. More memory or more connectivity. I also enjoy hearing others opinions on which they think suits them.

Should I get a car or a truck?

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
128GB LTE for me. Never thought I'd fill my 64GB iPad 2 until I started loading my kids movies on it. Then I started buying kids movies on iTunes at 3-4GB per movie. Now I have 10 or so movies that I can't load. I also feel that I'll be keeping this iPad for at least 2-3 years like my iPad 2 so I'm future proofing it as much as possible. Who knows how large a 4K movie file will be. The final reason is that the LTE gives me a chance to test out the coverage of all the carriers. I use Verizon right now but will switch immediately if either ATT or TMOBILE Coverage is good in my area. Would love to get back on the unlimited data train so I'm rooting for TMOBILE.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
no idea what people do with their ipads that means they need 128gb of storage.

Just need to be a little more organised about keeping apps and things that you never use.

It's like loading up 50 TV series at once or something just in case you get stuck on a desert island for a month.

My gut is telling me, if you get stuck on a desert island, your iPad content will be the least of your worries. :eek:

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Honestly, who cares? What's the worst that can happen if you buy the wrong one? Oh nooooz! God forbid you may have to return it and just get a new one or maybe just sell it at close to full value and go grab a different one.

I never understood people that take forever to make a simple decision when the cost of making a mistake is nil. There's no contract locking you up with iPads so exchanging them is as easy and exchanging a shirt.

Not to mention the shelf life of most iPads is about 2-3 years so if whatever you get today no longer suits you in 2-3 years, chances are you'll be willingly picking up a new one by then anyway.

jackofharts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Should I get a car or a truck?

I would go with the truck, car is so mainstream and it's nice to be able to go off road when you need to. Also you never can be to careful when it comes to the weather.

This was a serious question right...

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
If you can tether, just go for the bigger storage.

That was my dilemma, but I can't tether so I opted for the TMobile version with less storage. 200mb goes a long way when all I want is to sync iCloud docs, calendars, notes, reminders, and shooting text-emails. Not paying for the data I use pretty much pays itself off compared to an ATT or Verizon iPad.

Curious though, does the UK have any "200mb free" deal here like in the US?

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
64 GB with LTE as tethering will kill your iPhone's battery.

True.
This is why I have a juice case for my iPhone.
Whenever the phone battery runs low, I flip the switch and no worries.
Always more than enough time between sockets.
Excellent solution and much cheaper than paying a monthly charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.