All iPads iPad Air and Mini 2: stereo speakers or mono?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sensamic, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Ok, so I know there are two speakers on the bottom of both iPads, but I'm still not sure if they are true stereo or mono. Some manufacturers show two speakers on the outside but then it's just one.

Is it confirmed by any review like Anadtech or so that the speakers are stereo?

Thanks.

2. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Both iPad mini 1 and iPad mini 2 and iPad Air using stereo speakers. The iPhone appears to have stereo speaker, but it actually uses mono speaker.

3. emogu2 macrumors newbie

If I'm recalling correctly, the iPad has always had stereo speakers. Previous iterations only had one speaker grill, but they still had two speakers and two audio channels pumping through it.

There's an option under Accessibility to only use mono sound, and I believe it's been there since the first iPad. This implies that by default sound is stereo.

4. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

whatever they are it doesn't matter. Stereo is supposed to provide seperation of audio channels and with how close the iPads speakers are I highly doubt you could tell a difference between stereo and mono.

5. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Nope... iPad mini is he first one with stereo speaker, iPads before iPad mini and including iPad 4 were using mono speakers.

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

That's essentially my view on it, too. However, I recall someone suggesting that, ignoring stereo separation, the sound of a stereo signal properly routed to two speakers is better than putting both signals into one speaker. That sounds plausible, and could explain why Apple did this (they're not stupid). But it's hard to imagine being able to hear the difference.

7. mpantone, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

They are stereo.

The next time you have your hands on one (Apple retail store, etc.), just visit YouTube and search for "stereo audio test." Play one of the videos listed in the search results.

8. Zorlac macrumors newbie

This. Don't matter if there are separate speakers, there is literally no stereo image from the ipad.

9. SenorDD macrumors newbie

I just tried the stereo test on my iPad air and the only way I could tell which speaker each sound was coming from was by positioning it with my nose on the lighting cable port. The speakers are too close together to hear any separation any other way.