iPad Air Apps Crashing

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zerka, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Zerka macrumors member

So sometimes when I open up my iPad and get to work the apps themselves crash or the whole iPad will restart by itself. Is this caused by a lack of memory? That's the only thing I can think of

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not necessarily. What apps crash? More details.....

3. Zerka thread starter macrumors member

Usually it's the first app I open, which is Safari more often than not, but not always. I've experienced this with my old iPad 3 as well. After waking it up after say 30 or more minutes and trying to use an app it just restarts itself. It's all apps. I don''t think I can remember a time where I've woken my iPad in the morning and not have this happen. If it counts for anything, I don't kill/clear my apps

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

That's odd. Are you running the latest OS which is 8.1.1? It's probably not simply being out of memory. But, can you verify that you don't have a lot of services or features turned On that you may not need? These will chip away at available RAM and could eventually cause problems.

Still.... That just doesn't sound right.

5. Zerka thread starter macrumors member

I updated to 8.1.1 a few days ago but the problem still persists. This is a school-issued iPad so it is running under a custom profile. Other than that this iPad is running the bare minimum. The features running are the ones that came stock with the iPad out of the box. Very few apps as well, and the apps that are on here don't run in the background or refresh regularly. It's not like a typical reset either in that it black screens with the Apple logo but that only lasts about 3-5 seconds and then the iPad is back up and running.

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Doesn't sound good. Can or will the school work with you to have Apple take a look at it? Maybe some diagnostics or whatever? I'm wondering if there a hardware problem.....?

7. Zerka thread starter macrumors member

I could probably take it to the tech center on campus, but let's just say they aren't very bright...and we aren't allowed to get "third party" work done to the iPads, even if the third party is Apple themselves. I hope it isn't a hardware problem, as we literally received these out of the box about 9 months ago and, well, I don't want this escalate later on and the I have to pay for a faulty iPad. Other students have this problem as well, usually while browsing Safari or using simple apps like Pages (which is also true for me, not just when I wake the iPad up). Who knows what kind of issue it is. It's not a particularly troubling problem, but it's a bit inconvenient at times.

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Nine months is still within the one year warranty period and they should have a Warranty on them. If that's the case, Apple should be able to help. Not sure if it's different for educational devices but it shouldn't be.

If other students are experiencing this then that says there might be a custom configuration the ipads were setup with. Or something.