iPad iPad Air arrived - am I stuck if I open it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Coomb, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Coomb macrumors member

I purchased it via Staples (with tax and everything it came to a total of $520 CDN) and it just arrived at my neighbour's house (I'm up north housesitting). Staples has a 14 day return policy but I realized they're not Apple. If I open it up and decide the Air isn't for me, that the rMini might be better, can I not return it?

I played with both in the store but really couldn't make up my mind about size, and the cables that tethered them to the table made the weight tricky to assess.

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Not to worry, Staples has a very good return policy. You even have until January 11th to return the iPad.

From Staples Website: "If you're not 100% satisfied with your Staples® purchase, you can return it for any reason.

Your purchase must be returned in salable condition with the original packaging, including Universal Product Code (UPC), manuals, parts and your receipt or packing slip.

Holiday Returns Policy: Any electronic or furniture product, which usually falls within the 14-day return policy, purchased between Sunday, November 24, 2013 and Tuesday, December 24, 2013, may be returned until Saturday, January 11, 2014 - or as the regular policy allows (whichever is later). This applies to all electronic and furniture products within Staples' regularly posted 14-day returns policy. All electronic and furniture purchases made on or after Wednesday, December 25, 2013 will observe our existing return policy. All other terms and conditions of our returns policy apply."

3. Coomb thread starter macrumors member

Interesting! Could that just be the American site though? Ours says:

"Return/Refund Policy
    If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, return it within 30 days (computers, laptops, tablets and eReaders within 14 days) in saleable condition in its original packaging (including UPC code, manual, parts and your receipt or packing slip) for a full refund or replacement. The tender will be made to the same tender as the purchase. Debit and credit card refunds will only be processed to the same card number used for the original purchase. Items purchased by cheque and returned within 14 days of purchase may be returned for a store credit only. For computer returns, store management may require a 24-hour inspection period prior to processing the refund."

I can't seem to find the holiday return policy. :/

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Don't open it until you decide. Make up your mind first and then keep it or return it.

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

OK, from the Staples Canada website: "if you're not 100% satisfied with your Staples purchase, you can return it for any reason.

Your purchase must be returned in saleable condition with the original packaging, including Universal Product Code (UPC), manuals, parts and your receipt or packing slip. Any personal information should be removed from the item before returning it to the store.

Holiday Returns Made Easy
    For your convenience, any gift item purchased between November 1 and December 24 qualify for our extended holiday return policy. Computer and/or laptop purchases can be exchanged or returned until January 3, 2014 or for 14 days from the date of purchase, whichever is longer. All other purchases can be exchanged or returned until January 5, 2014 or for 30 days from the date of purchase, whichever is longer. All other return conditions still apply. Ask for complete details at Customer Service."

6. Coomb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much, no idea why I couldn't find it. :) Can I ask where it is? I just went to Customer Service at the bottom and clicked on Returns.

Yeah I'm scared to open it. It's basically $46 more than the rMini which isn't bad. My number one option was the refurb iPad 4 but I missed out on that one. I'm sure there'll be more in the new year but I've been waiting for an iPad since they first started coming out, haha.

7. Atrin1 macrumors regular

I just ordered a 1st gen mini from staples and didn't realize their return policy. Sweet!

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

http://www.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/help-centre/#returns_policy

You might as well open it and try it out. Most retailers tend to open electronics even if they are sealed when you return them. Obviously some have been scammed with bogus sealed returns.

9. v0lume4, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I feel your pain brother. What's worse is other retailers' tennis-ball sized anti-theft things attached to the back of their iPads.

10. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I have both and dislike the cumbersome Air. While it's not thick or heavy it still has bulk that becomes annoying the longer you use it.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Cumbersome? That's a good one. :p

12. Coomb thread starter macrumors member

Good point. It's really the best opportunity to see if it's a fit. Sadly I'm being spoiled with the best iPad out there so it might be tough to get a 4 after. :p

I'm a miss. :D But down with being a brother too haha. Yes, those devices are definitely in the way! I couldn't really assess the weight at all between the Air and the 2 (all that was on display).

I am worried about that being the case. But I'm also worried about the rMini being too small. So. I had to pick haha.

Haha. He may just mean awkward, but I'm still an iPad virgin thus can't offer much insight!

13. Coomb thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm using it. :D The Air that is. A thing of beauty. Mind you this is my first iPad so any of them would impress me.

So this is weird, likely, but does anyone find it maybe too light? I have it propped up against my legs in landscape (leaning against a pillow) and can't help thinking that the extra side bezel might help me type a little easier, not having to lower my hands as much. A little bit more weight might help stabilize it. I was flirting with the 4 before, and since the displays are the same, would it really be a massive change to switch?

14. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

u meant from air to the 4?

15. Coomb thread starter macrumors member

Yep! I'm enjoying the screen size and am typing fairly well on it. But yes, I'm looking at moving from the Air to the 4 as $520 is quite steep, and if I'm only sacrificing size and a bit of speed to save $100 or so that might be okay. It doesn't actually need to be super portable, just easier to haul around than a MBP.

16. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

speed isnt really a problem IMO, ipad 4 runs everything just fine. i would rather use an ipad 4 with ios 6 then air with ios7 anyday

17. Coomb thread starter macrumors member

I have to ask, what's everyone's beef with the iOS 7? Is it just aesthetics?

I'm definitely thinking about it. So long as the battery life and the display are the same, I won't mind waiting a few more seconds for things to load. (meanwhile watch me bond with this darn lovely thing)

18. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Battery on the Air is way better than the 4, charges quicker too. No way i would get a iPad 4 for only $100 cheaper than a Air.

19. Coomb thread starter macrumors member

Oh wow, I didn't know that! I am impressed with the battery. Ran it through the Walking Dead game, read some PDF's, email, Pinterest, World of Goo, and it's still at 97%.