All iPads iPad Air as a reader?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jekjones1558, Oct 26, 2013.

1. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I do not own a Kindle or Nook nor do I want to own either. I prefer to have all my stuff on one device, especially for travel. I currently own an iPad 3 and my only problem is that it is a bit heavy to hold for extended reading times. Would I notice the difference in weight while reading on the iPad Air versus the retina iPad Mini? I think I prefer the Air in other regards.

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I'd think the difference going from the 3 to the Air will be a much more noticeable difference versus the Air compared to the Mini Retina, if you get what I'm saying. The main concern I see myself is the smaller bezel on the Air which might lead to having to hold it in a slightly different manner.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

For me the difference in weight between a Nook Color (422g) and Nexus 7 2012 (340g) was definitely noticeable particularly for single-handed operation. After 10 minutes, my wrist would already ache from holding the Nook Color. Even going from Nexus 7 to iPad mini (308g) helps reduce wrist fatigue. :eek:

The weight reduction from iPad 4 (652g) to iPad Air (469g) may seem more dramatic than from Air to rMini (331g). However, if I wanted a device for single-handed reading, the iPad Air wouldn't even be on my radar. :rolleyes:

By the way, looking at percentages, it's a 28% weight reduction from iPad 4 to iPad Air and 29% weight reduction from Air to rMini. :)

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Sorry to tell you the Kindle Paperwhite runs circles around any iPad in terms of readability and portability. I own both because of it. When I want to do serious reading, its Paperwhite all the way. For everything, and I mean everything else, its iPad. eInk is just that much better and easier on the eyes.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Unfortunately, true (at least for me). :eek: I don't like the Kindle, though. Using a Sony PRS-350 and Kobo Aura HD instead. :)

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I hear the Kobo is very nice. A dedicated reader is going to give you a much nicer reading experience. I find the iPad too bright. The iPad mini is a very nice size and weight. It will be interesting to see how the retina screen fares, but I am thinking the brightness issue will remain, as as sharp as it promises to look, a dedicated eink reader will still be a better reading choice.

7. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

IPad brightness is adjustable. The Kindle app even has its own brightness setting, without even leaving the app. Even with this, do you still find the Kindle device a better reading experience?

8. Warcake macrumors regular

the ipad air is .4 lbs lighter than the ipad 4 and .3 lbs heavier than the ipad mini 2 retina. so yeah, the weight difference compared to the mini 2 aint that much at all, and should be conducive to extended one hand use.

9. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Personally I find the Kindle without question the better reading experience. While the brightness does play a part against a typical tablet, reading E ink is just something everyone should try at least once to really appreciate. There is absolutely no eye strain with it.

With that said, I'm not trying to imply that it makes my eyes hurt when I read on a tablet but I can't read for nearly as long before they really start to feel tired.

I don't think I'll ever see a tablet come close to giving the same experience because it'll never be the same tech no matter how they tweak it.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oh yes, absolutely. Now realize this is very subjective. But I feel my eyes get tired a lot sooner reading the iPad screen. When I read a book, it's usually for an hour or more. I find the eink screen a lot softer on my eyes. This is a lot more evident at night when reading with the iPad lights up the room even on a low brightness settin (high enough though for me to see) vs the Kindle, which puts out a lot less light but is very readable.

11. DanTSX macrumors regular

newer kindle.

eink > any apple screen when it comes to reading text.

No substitute. Especially when used outside in the sun.

And battery life is insane.

12. isephmusic macrumors 6502

e ink is the best available reading method thats not plain paper. you can literally hold it in direct sunlight as u see many ladies at the beach and pool do , and still read. ipad cant compare because its not meant to. thats why amazon took off. they got that market, apple has the integration of home and mobile users. thats why you see everyone on an ipad on trains and subways. 2 different needs

13. rui no onna, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

My iPad is almost always on minimum brightness. I'd say the frontlight on e-ink readers is still easier and of course, there's no need to turn on the frontlight if you've got good lighting. For me, it's not so much eyestrain but I get less migraines with e-ink than LCD based devices.

14. jekjones1558 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for addressing my original question. I do NOT wish to carry 2 devices and my eyes are not not bothered by the iPad so I am deciding between the Air and Retina Mini.

15. leenak macrumors 68020

I would say Air since it will be lighter than your current iPad. I have an iPad 2 and a Kindle paperwhite. I carry both but for some things, I carry only the kindle. The iPad isn't optimized for reading so you lose a few things such as the e-ink and the super long battery life (I can go a week easily without charging my kindle). But the trade off, as you noted, is that you only carry 1 device.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

For me, anything above 400g is still too heavy for single-handed reading so the iPad Air is out. I think my limit of acceptability is around 350g.

However, you're really the only one who can decide what your tolerances are. If I were you, I'd get the Air on release. If it's light enough, keep it. If not, return it and get the rMini.

17. caesarp, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

caesarp macrumors 6502a

In a multi purpose device there are always compromises. I use my ipad 3 for e reading ( via kindle app) and look forward to buying the ipad air for the major weight reduction. Compared to the 3 the air will feel like a feather.

If you intend to carry your device everywhere with you all the time I would buy a mini. If you intend to use your device mainly at home, buy the ipad. Simple. Mini much easier to carry around. I use my ipad mainly at home and also during travel. Larger screen for movies during travel is way nicer than mini for sure.

On the other hand, if you are already used to the size of an ipad screen you will not want to go smaller no matter what.

Another thing to consider is the type of reading you do. I tend to read mostly non fiction. So the books I read may have lots of photos and maps. I also like to google topics for more information while reading a non fiction book. A larger screen for photos, maps and google results is essential. If you mainly read fiction this is not as much an issue.

18. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

The way you hold either one can have more impact on wrist/arm fatigue than the actual weight. The mini is small enough that I can hold it in portrait mode with one hand (thumb on one side and fingers on the other). But that puts my wrist at an awkward angle. With a folio cover on it, though, I can hold it by the folded up cover on one side for much longer.

19. Naramis macrumors member

Kindle is unbeatable for novels and such, of course. I've had one for years and enjoyed it.

But for me, I also read textbooks and PDF articles that simply don't work well (if at all) on Kindle. So I either have to compromise and read everything on an iPad, or carry 2 devices.. personally I'm leaning towards only carrying the Mini retina.

20. Bokes macrumors 6502

I have a nook HD. Super light and blows away the iPad as a book reader.
    I understand wanting everything on one device.
    I tried and the iPad just stinks as a book reader.

Yet oddly enough-
    As for magazines and comic books- it's iPad air all the way.
    I can't wait.
    Size matters when reading.
    My kid has a mini and I hate all the pinch and zoom to read small text.
    IMO- The mini is good for games in the hands of a 5 year old when you're traveling. Little else.
    Also I believe the new mini will be heavier than the 1st gen.

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I tried the iPad mini in store and what I've noticed is it isn't the screen size that poses a problem with legibility, it's the lack of resolution. I compared text on the mini with the same size text on the iPad 4 and iPhone 5. The text on the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 were perfectly legible but the mini wasn't. Granted, I have excellent near vision. For someone who needs reading glasses, the iPad Air is likely a better option.

New mini is 23g heavier than the first gen mini but it's still 138g lighter than the iPad Air. That's around the weight of an iPhone 4. Definitely noticeable. Does it matter? That really depends on the person using it.

22. iWeekend macrumors regular

For those that have an e-ink reader,

• how does it fair against the ipad for surfing the net? Basic stuff like reading macrumours, googling.
    • Are there any ad blockers out for them?

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Answers in green.

24. ucfgrad11 macrumors member

I've read books on my iPhone on plane rides and it didn't seem to be a problem but I'm a 25 year old so perhaps my eyes can take it haha. But I think if you wanted to do one handed reading for e-books go for the mini. It seems to be the same size as my Kindle 3.

25. old-wiz macrumors G3

I tried playing with the Kindle and Nook variants at Staples, and it was painfully slow and confusing, perhaps because I was used to the iPad. The screen is nice, but too small for me. Kindle would be fine if I didn't have an iPad I guess.