All iPads ipad air as ereader

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sasha.danielle, Apr 23, 2015.

1. sasha.danielle macrumors regular

What is everybody else's experience with the Air 2 as a reader? I just bought one and it feels to me a bit uncomfortable or unwieldy for reading for any considerable period of time. I used to have an iPad 2 and thought the same thing then but was hoping the reduced weight might help, bit now I think it might just be the size of the machine I'm thinking about returning it for a mini. The problem is I just ordered a beautiful custom leather case for it for about a hundred bucks and I don't really want to have wasted the money.

The iPad itself is on a payment plan with my carrier so in not really worried about the cost of the device.

Am I just being too finicky? Would I have a significantly improved experience with a Mini 2 or 3?

I'm doing my Masters and using it mostly for reading and some light editing in Pages, so my needs are otherwise not heavy.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I think using the iPad Air 2 as an e-reader works best when you have some sort of stand to prop the device up. When I got my iPad Air 2 I began using my iPad mini as my main e-reader - much easier to hold for longer periods of time.

3. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's what I found too. I wonder what I can recoup on the case... *sigh*

4. RichardMZhlubb macrumors member

E-ink Kindles are far better options as e-book readers. I realize that some people don't like having multiple devices, but I find that it's just much easier on my eyes reading on a Kindle. I'll read books on my iPhone or iPad Kindle apps for short periods, but I couldn't imagine using them for the bulk of my reading.

5. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a Mini would suit your needs better. Get a refurb Mini 2. You can get a 128 GB wifi Mini 2 on the refurb store now. There's no reason to get a Mini 3 since Touch ID is the only added feature.

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Indeed, e-ink readers are designed specifically for that purpose.. and they read just as well in the dark as they do in direct sunlight. I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I bought for reading outside, an iPad just isn't the best device for that purpose because of the type of display used.

7. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

The Canadian store unfortunately has no iPad refurbs at all.

8. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good point. Maybe I should just augment with an actual ereader. The new kindle voyage looks spectacular (if pricey).

----------

Can I load my kindle with all my non-amazon non-drm epubs from a Mac?

9. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

The Kindle Voyage may be a bit pricey, but it has an incredible screen. I have a friend who owns one, it's so much easier on the eyes than my Kindle paperwhite.

10. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. Ok cool. I study literature anyway, so I think I can justify this purchase (although I could probably justify any tech purchase really...).

11. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

PS You guys are so great for my budget! :p

Thanks for the help guys.

12. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Also check swappa.com you can get a great deal on a Mini 2 there.

13. RichardMZhlubb macrumors member

This surprises me. I have a Voyage and, while I love it, I don't find it to be enough of an upgrade from my second generation Paperwhite to justify the price. I tell anyone who asks to save some money and buy the Paperwhite.

14. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

So I just went to Staples and tried out the mini and I think I find it much more usable. Even when I'm teaching I think it will be much more convenient to hold as I'm waking around the classroom.

15. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Yep, the iPad mini is a great device. I use my iPad Air 2 for web surfing and videos, my iPad mini 2 for reading ebooks and documents, and my iPhone 6 for communications. I don't see anything wrong with owning all three devices.

If money is a factor, you might think about a refurb iPad mini from Apple, they're as good as new and include a warranty: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini_2

16. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

Apple doesn't make iPad refurbished models available in Canada, it seems. I think I'll keep the Air and augment with a smaller device, either a kindle or a cheaper mini (I don't really want to invest in an anyway long outdated device). I like the kindle because it's nice as a dedicated reading device but it's also nice to have all my notes and highlights in the same ecosystem.

17. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

You make some good points.. the Kindle is also much cheaper. If I remember correctly, you can email documents to yourself and open them directly on the Kindle.

18. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. The more I think about it the more this makes sense. A mini would be redundant (though certainly nice to have) in all aspects but as a reading device and as such it definitely is a trade off.

19. haleigh macrumors member

I used my iPad and didn't really like reading books on it. I bought a Kindle Paperwhite (I got it for a steal at $40) and I have to say, there is no way I'm reading on my iPad again. Really no comparison.

20. GalFriday macrumors member

Nope. Not compatible. You'd have to either get Kindle compatible versions or use a program like Calibre to convert them.