iPad iPad Air: Avoid Apple Smart Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Krazy Bill, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

It won't stand up in landscape - your iPad will eventually fall over. I'm starting to see that this is so common there must be a defect in the case design. And going from the 4 fold design to 3 isn't the problem since the Smart Cover seems to do fine.

2. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

How odd. My Air's Apple Smart Case stands up fine in landscape with no problems. I watched a few hours of video that way on a flight.

3. weespeed macrumors 6502

Mine falls when I move it back. It's also a pain to get it set right the first time.

I agree the Smart Cover is better. Never had an issue with it on my iPad 2.

4. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

It feels great and protects good but it sucks as a stand.

5. Krazy Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I took it back. Got a Belkin clear plastic shell just for the rear. Works well with the plain smart cover. Less overall weight as we'll.

Try typing or pecking on it for awhile. The tri-fold cover will slip and the whole thing collapses.

6. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

Ahh, I see. I only use it for watching videos, not typing.

7. Naramis macrumors member

8. robertpatryk macrumors member

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Which way are you all folding it? Fold it so the microfiber is on the outside and the fold/stand is very stable. Fold it so the microfiber is to the inside, and it's unstable.

10. meistervu macrumors 65816

Could this be the case.

Mine is very stable, until I sat with my legs up so that the iPad was on an incline, then it would flop down.

Love my SmartCase by the way. The fit and finish is superb, and the added bulk and weight is minimal. I find the iPad is much more of a pleasure to hold due to the soft leather compared to cold aluminum and sharp edges of the bare iPad. I am glad I decided to check it out for myself rather than listening to the bad reviews.

I hated the old SmartCase which had a really sloppy fit and sharp edges. This new one is nothing like the old one.

11. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I can't make it fall. I've tried since reading your post. My works fine on any surface or position. It's a great accessory so far.

12. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Actually the combo of the Belkin back shell and the smart cover weigh more than the smart case alone. I have both and weighed them. However, the combo is thinner (but less protective) than the smart case alone. I rarely use mine as a stand so it's not an issue. I use smart cover inside the house, and smart case traveling.

13. meistervu macrumors 65816

After another couch session, this is my definitive assessment. Depending on what I am wearing, the bottom edge of this case has the tendency to slide down toward me while the folded triangle sticks, causing the triangle to rotate thus resulting in a flop.

The reason there are varying opinions on this flop issue is that there are variables: finishes of the leather resulting in different coefficient of static friction, what the user wears, body shape, sitting angle, etc.

For me, using brown leather case, the flop happens when I sit on a couch with my legs up so the iPad is on an incline. But it is a non problem because since I am on a incline, there is no need for the supporting triangle.

It is truly a great accessory: minimal, functional, elegant. Forget what the pundit say - if what I describe interests you, you should try it for yourself. I normally don't like cases because they add weight, are ugly, cumbersome. This on the other hand complement the design of the iPad, like a beautiful frame for a photo.

14. Krazy Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

All kind of moot if the Apple smart case won't stand up. :D

And those of you that don't seem to have any problems with the smart case in landscape mode... You mean to tell me it never falls over? I wonder if the texture of the leather is different depending on the color. Mine was black.

15. Capt T macrumors 6502a

No problems with mine, I have the brown case. I type all the time, and it is very sturdy. Put it upright in landscape mode and knocked it around some and it stays standing.

I fold mine with the microfiber facing out.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Got some of these to tape to the back of my Smart Case. Taped one in the center of the Apple logo to hold the iPad in a standing position, and one at the very edge of the Smart Case to snap the cover to the back when folded completely back. Other positions might also be useful to hold the iPad at different angles. Yeah, the back looks messy with the metal pieces stuck on, but works very well! :D

17. Krazy Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Careful. You'll castrate yourself if you use it in your lap. :D

18. erea macrumors newbie

erea