Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Any idea on a fix or is the battery just dead? It's out of warranty so I fear Apple will charge me $100 for a new battery.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Check you location settings before you give up. I had a similar problem where all of a sudden my iPad Air had terrible standby time where it used to be really good. At first I thought my battery had just gotten old really quickly but then I found out that the Google News app was polling location constantly in the background (or something like that). By disabling background location services for that app I solved my battery issues.

I guess my point is it could be an app, so start there first.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Any idea on a fix or is the battery just dead? It's out of warranty so I fear Apple will charge me $100 for a new battery.
It dies in a minute and a half from fully charged?
If it is the battery, they might cover it under warranty anyway if it's really so bad. Worth a shot.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Standard troubleshooting: First, rule-out software/settings as the cause:
Settings > Battery - see if there's an app sucking up an unusual amount of battery. If so, force-quit that app, and see if the issue returns. If you don't find a particular app, restart and/or reset the iPad.
If you can't find a particular app/setting at fault, backup the phone and restore iOS.

Apple won't charge you for a new battery unless you need a new battery. They can run diagnostics to determine the condition of the battery (at either the store, or if you call AppleCare) - they won't charge for diagnostics.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
How is that even possible?
Standard troubleshooting: First, rule-out software/settings as the cause:
Settings > Battery - see if there's an app sucking up an unusual amount of battery. If so, force-quit that app, and see if the issue returns. If you don't find a particular app, restart and/or reset the iPad.
If you can't find a particular app/setting at fault, backup the phone and restore iOS.

Apple won't charge you for a new battery unless you need a new battery. They can run diagnostics to determine the condition of the battery (at either the store, or if you call AppleCare) - they won't charge for diagnostics.

I can't think of any app or setting that can fully drain an iPad battery in just over 15 minutes! That battery is for all intents and purposes not holding a charge. It needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
How is that even possible?

I can't think of any app or setting that can fully train an iPad battery in just over 15 minutes! That battery is for all intents and purposes not holding a charge. It needs to be replaced.

The odds are that you're right. I just have this thing about jumping to conclusions when there are simple things to check that don't cost $100.

Reactions: Montymitch

iMasterCheesus

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
Backup and try resetting it. If problem occurs when completely reset, (do not restore from backup) the battery is definitely the cause.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Did a full reset and restore. Still draining it dry in about 20-30 minutes of nothing but homescreen looking n

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Did a full reset and restore. Still draining it dry in about 20-30 minutes of nothing but homescreen looking n

How many battery cycles does the Air have?

If you have a high amount you might have worn out the battery.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If using 1% every 10 seconds you iPad would have to be getting hot! OR, you battery is very bad and has little capacity left. If it is not getting hot I would say your battery is kaput!

Batteries do not last forever so the choice is to replace the battery or whole device.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have never had an iPad long enough to wear the battery out completely--does Apple still do the thing where they just charge you for the battery replacement but essentially swap out the whole iPad? I know they used to do that with the original model in 2010.

riviera74

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
Fort Myers FL

Take it from somebody who has seen the same thing with notebooks: replace the battery because that battery is dying a slow painful death. How Apple will handle this is up in the air.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Going to take it on today to have them look it over. I've never seen a battery die so damn quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.