IPad Air batter drains 1% every 10 seconds

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GizmoDVD, Jun 2, 2016.

1. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Any idea on a fix or is the battery just dead? It's out of warranty so I fear Apple will charge me $100 for a new battery.

2. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Check you location settings before you give up. I had a similar problem where all of a sudden my iPad Air had terrible standby time where it used to be really good. At first I thought my battery had just gotten old really quickly but then I found out that the Google News app was polling location constantly in the background (or something like that). By disabling background location services for that app I solved my battery issues.

I guess my point is it could be an app, so start there first.

3. aoaaron macrumors 6502

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It dies in a minute and a half from fully charged?
    If it is the battery, they might cover it under warranty anyway if it's really so bad. Worth a shot.

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Standard troubleshooting: First, rule-out software/settings as the cause:
    Settings > Battery - see if there's an app sucking up an unusual amount of battery. If so, force-quit that app, and see if the issue returns. If you don't find a particular app, restart and/or reset the iPad.
    If you can't find a particular app/setting at fault, backup the phone and restore iOS.

Apple won't charge you for a new battery unless you need a new battery. They can run diagnostics to determine the condition of the battery (at either the store, or if you call AppleCare) - they won't charge for diagnostics.

6. joeblow7777, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016

joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

How is that even possible?
    I can't think of any app or setting that can fully drain an iPad battery in just over 15 minutes! That battery is for all intents and purposes not holding a charge. It needs to be replaced.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The odds are that you're right. I just have this thing about jumping to conclusions when there are simple things to check that don't cost $100.

8. iMasterCheesus macrumors newbie

iMasterCheesus

Backup and try resetting it. If problem occurs when completely reset, (do not restore from backup) the battery is definitely the cause.

9. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65816

Did a full reset and restore. Still draining it dry in about 20-30 minutes of nothing but homescreen looking n

10. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

How many battery cycles does the Air have?

If you have a high amount you might have worn out the battery.

11. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I'd suggest getting Battery Life and seeing what it reports... It is free...

Battery Life: check internal battery statistics by Robert Tkotzyk
    https://appsto.re/us/zeBBab.i

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If it has a low cycle count and it's not holding a charge, Apple may cut you a break even if it's out of warranty.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If using 1% every 10 seconds you iPad would have to be getting hot! OR, you battery is very bad and has little capacity left. If it is not getting hot I would say your battery is kaput!

Batteries do not last forever so the choice is to replace the battery or whole device.

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have never had an iPad long enough to wear the battery out completely--does Apple still do the thing where they just charge you for the battery replacement but essentially swap out the whole iPad? I know they used to do that with the original model in 2010.

15. riviera74 macrumors member

Take it from somebody who has seen the same thing with notebooks: replace the battery because that battery is dying a slow painful death. How Apple will handle this is up in the air.

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Uninstall the Kill My Battery app. Problem solved.

17. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65816

Going to take it on today to have them look it over. I've never seen a battery die so damn quickly.