iPad Air Battery Care

cjmartin93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Apple suggests that an iPad battery should be FULLY DISCHARGED once a month. What does it mean? Using your iPad until it goes to 0% and die. Or use it only until it goes to 5%? Because I've heard that Li batteries should never reach 0% charge. Thanks in advance.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple suggests that an iPad battery should be FULLY DISCHARGED once a month. What does it mean? Using your iPad until it goes to 0% and die. Or use it only until it goes to 5%? Because I've heard that Li batteries should never reach 0% charge. Thanks in advance.
From the link above:
For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
"completely running it down" means exactly that... completely. Let it drain until your iPad shuts off. Even when your iPad shuts off and the battery indicator shows 0%, there is still some residual charge left, to avoid problems with the battery.

cjmartin93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
What do you mean by enough power? I have a dual port powerbank. 11800mah. 1A and 2A ports.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Fully means 100% discharged so take it until it is empty and shuts itself off.

Li batteries can certainly be drained out. Just don't leave them that way for ages and ages.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Of course our ipad air batteries were made to fully charge. However it is good over time to charge your battery to 75 , 80%. For all those times it will receive a 100% charge is fine of course.
I always play catch up with my charging.
It's better to put a 30% charge on it every day to bring it up to full ( which in my case is 80% ) instead of a full drain and a full charge each time it's needed.
I hope I can find the source of the info. It was a reliable source I remember.
Another thing which I feel we all know is controlling heat in any way it relates to the device. The ipad 3 had the big issue with heat yet I never felt any heat on my palm when checking. I'm thinking maybe because I used these tips.
Hope to find the source. Last seen it around 15 months ago.

cjmartin93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I just drained my battery to 0% (from 100%) and charged it immediately when it turned off. I'm gonna do this once a month. Thank you guys for all your help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.