iPad air battery issues

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by treehorn, Nov 3, 2013.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Got a new iPad air on Friday to replace a first generation iPad. And I'm finding the battery life on this one to be worse than my original iPad...and my partners new iPad. Started at 93% this morning and already down to 32%. No videos. Light surfing (2-3 hours) and reading on the subway (90 minutes). An hour playing plants vs zombies 2 (now that I can). Yesterday was the same thing. Battery is not lasting. Is anybody else having problems?

2. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

I've had the opposite experience doing about the same things as you have except I haven't played any games. Got mine Nov. 1 & it hasn't yet run down all the way. It's currently around 56%.

Someone in another thread suggests trying this:
    If that doesn't help, I'd take it back for a swap.

3. zdman macrumors newbie

I seem to be noticing the iPad Air battery going quickly too. I have not done any official measurements yet, but woke up on Saturday to a fully charged iPad Air, did a little surfing and put it down. Checked again about an hour later and was already down to 93%. I guess I need to do some comparisons with my old iPad 2 and see if there is a difference.

4. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

I've been monitoring today. Seems to be when display is used vs. doing things like streaming audio when display not used.

Started at 8am with 100%

at 11am was down to 85% after an hour of Facebook, Mail and Safari (nothing else running in the background).

at 12:15 was down to 72% after 45 minutes of reading IBook and streaming IRadio to speaker via blutooth

At 1pm it only went down to 71% playing Iradio (no blutooth) in background with display turned off

This seems very quick to me (my original 1st ten iPad didn't drain as fast), especially given the supposedly great battery life.

I'm going to drain it and see if that 'calibrates' the battery as suggested

5. monk fish macrumors member

Just for a comparison mine is now on 4% usage is 12 hours 13 minutes

6. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

By usage you mean 12 hours of video playing? screen on and surfing, game playing, etc?

Mine is going down around 1% an hour with nothing running in the background and the screen off. In comparison, my original IPad, which hasn't been touched since Friday afternoon, has an 85% charge left and doesn't seem to have lost any power while inactive…

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

8. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

Roughly 40%.

Being on Facebook for an hour took it from 47 to 33%

----------

In Comparison...partners iPad was charged two days ago. He's been using it regularly in the same manner and is at 59% (been playing a game for the past hour or so)

9. bobright macrumors 601

It's probably faulty I and a couple other owners in the family have gotten amazing battery life. I have locations and notifications all set to on, way better than my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 fwiw.

----------

That doesn't seem normal:eek: :(

10. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I would take it back then, as that seems like a battery issue....may take awhile at the store for them to check it out.

11. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

I'm hoping that since I documented hours, percentages and usage they'll just give me a replacement (otherwise I'll return it for a refund and buy another at some other time…like five minutes afterwards)

12. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

As an FYI followup…swapped it out without having to resort to 'genius bar' as it was only a few days old. And even though the sales person scoffed a bit and said that losing 15% in two hours was to be expected as the battery only lasts for 10 hours, he gave me a new one without hassle (did point out that my first gen IPad lost 5% of battery life on the 1 hour subway ride - and that the Air lost 20% on the same ride the day before…)

And funny thing…I've used the new IPad on the subway for two hours today, plus checked emails, played a wee bit of simpsons…and am only down to 95%...