Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
I know that when you take the iPad to the Apple Store, they give you a new iPad but when you mail it to Apple Care, will they give me a new iPad or just repair the screen?
The reason I ask is because the status online shows as "repair in progress".

I have an iPad Air Wifi-Sprint Cellular.

Thanks

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I know that when you take the iPad to the Apple Store, they give you a new iPad but when you mail it to Apple Care, will they give me a new iPad or just repair the screen?
The reason I ask is because the status online shows as "repair in progress".

I have an iPad Air Wifi-Sprint Cellular.

Thanks

In-store screen repair are being done at Apple Stores as well, so it's not always a brand new iPad you get. Apple made changes within the last few years to allow Apple Stores to perform more procedures quickly, including replacing the screens and batteries.

It all depends on the damage, nobody here will know. You just have to wait and find out. Usually, the serial number will differ if the iPad was replaced.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Officially, there's no way to know whether you'd get yours back following the repair, or if you'd get a replacement, until you see the serial number - it's up to the repair staff.

In any case, it's not likely you'd get a new iPad in replacement. You'd typically get a remanufactured unit (Apple does more than a simple refurbishment - new display, new shell, plus whatever else might have been needed). The chances of it being new are a bit higher since the Air is a new model, but you'll have no way of knowing for sure - they don't ship repairs in retail packaging.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
then u wouldnt have to ask ur question

Lol my question was very simple and clear. I asked what are the procedures taken when you mail your iPad in. I wouldn't have asked (obviously) if I could have gone to a store.
I hate when annoying people deviate from the question.

To those with helpful answers, thank you so much for taking your time to help me out.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I cracked my iPad mini with retina screen last week, and went to the Apple Store. They told me with my AppleCare, that they'd be ordering a new iPad mini with retina. When I received it, I again asked if it was refurbished or new, and I was assured that it was new.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
If they don't repair the screen then I'd be willing to bet it will be a new iPad, simply because the Air hasn't been out long enough to really have a supply of refurbished units. Unless the store has their own supply from their own repairs, that is.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
I'm going to assume that "repair in progress" is the generic term they give to anything sent in. It could well be a replacement unit. Did you damage anything aside from the screen?

Well it was shutting off randomly which I advised them. The iPad was 4 days old and the screen just cracked. I never dropped it and had a case on it. Maybe in my bag (I'm not sure). I've owned many iPads, iPhones, iPods and I have never broken a screen before. I had to pay $305 plus tax which I find to be extremely outrageously expansive. The iPad was $590 ($100 off with a contract) and I had to pay $305 to repair it.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Well it was shutting off randomly which I advised them. The iPad was 4 days old and the screen just cracked. I never dropped it and had a case on it. Maybe in my bag (I'm not sure). I've owned many iPads, iPhones, iPods and I have never broken a screen before. I had to pay $305 plus tax which I find to be extremely outrageously expansive. The iPad was $590 ($100 off with a contract) and I had to pay $305 to repair it.

Did you happen to purchase it with a Visa credit card or American Express? If so, it was covered for 90 days of accidental damage by the card company.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
If you sent it to the repair center you will almost certainly get a refurbished iPad. There is a small possibility you could get a new one, but I'd serious doubt it. And there would be no way to know anyway, whatever they send you back will be in a refurb box.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Apple generally just swap the units out. You will get a replacement unit as it's quicker to process.

My broken air was collected on the weds evening, received at 11am Thursday by Apple, replacement shipped Thursday evening and with me on the Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.