iPad iPad Air button failure

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tacopox, Nov 5, 2014.

1. tacopox macrumors newbie

Has anybody experienced the home button or any buttons failing?

I'm thinking about picking up a refurbished iPad Air but I'm worried about the durability of the buttons. I've had the iPhone 4 power button fail on me and was lucky it was still under apple care. I'll be keeping the iPad Air for a lot longer than I had the 4 and I don't want the buttons failing on me into my 3rd or 4th year of owning the Air.

2. ELBdelorean macrumors member

With a smart case I hardly ever use either button. Magnets to lock/unlock and gestures for everything the home button can do.

Honestly I don't think anyone can say for sure your buttons won't fail. I can only provide anecdotal evidence that it won't by telling you that none of the buttons on any of my Apple devices has failed.

3. tacopox thread starter macrumors newbie

is yours jailbroken?

4. ELBdelorean macrumors member

No. Why, did I say something that would suggest that?

5. tacopox thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you able to minimize to the home screen without pressing the home button?

I thought you couldn't get away with not using the home button as much without having the device jailbroken and activator installed

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No Air button failure for me from release day.

7. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Yes, 5-finger swipe to each other and you get the home screen.

8. cababah macrumors 68000

aka the "penta-pinch" :)

9. ELBdelorean macrumors member

In addition to that, you can swipe up with four fingers to show recent apps/show recent contacts, and swipe left or right with four fingers to switch between recent apps.

10. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

No button failures here on an Air. The home button does have a noticeably loud click when pressed but I think that is mostly caused by the otterbox defender case it is in. Previous ipad 3 in a otterbox also had a loud home button after about a year so probably a fault with the case.. extra force required to press it down while in the case causing some wearing? I dunno

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I don't end up keeping my iOS devices for long, but I've never had any issues. And with iPad like ELBdelorean said I barely use the home button compared to my iPhone. Swipe gestures are just faster and more convenient.

But there is a bug that disables them randomly in 8.1...so hopefully that gets fixed. That is pretty much the only time I use my home button now.