iPad iPad Air Case for iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TheDeviceUser, Oct 19, 2014.

1. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I've preordered my iPad Air 2 which is due to arrive in the next few days. I of course want a case to protect it. However, there seems to be a severe lack of iPad Air 2 specific cases on the market. Therefore, do we think iPad Air cases work with the iPad Air 2 despite the fact it's 1.4mm thinner.

I really like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kolay-Clear...d=1413787839&sr=8-1&keywords=ipad+air+2+kolay

as this gives my the ability to use the case with a smart cover which i can easily remove. Will this work?

What do people think about the quality of the Apple Smart Case? I like it, but it is expensive!

2. Spikefan macrumors member

I like that also, but every time i find one i like and look carefully I find it is for the ipad 2 not the ipad air 2. Will take some investigating early on to find one which will display the back.... whats the point of having gold and then covering it. The search continues ....

3. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly, the smart case leaves only the home button touch id ring, and areas around dock which are gold visible. My concern about iPad Air cases not fitting the 2 is that Apple has designed a new Smart Case for it, which tends me to thinking most other case manufacturers will need to as well.

4. addictzz macrumors 6502

Moshi has Versacover with rear clear plastic case for iPad Air. Just wait for them to come up with iPad Air 2 version.

5. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's the Apple Smart Case like? Does it hold up for a long time and how light is it?

6. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually took the plunge and bought an Apple Smart case in midnight blue. Very expensive at £65, buy if I feel its bad quality (Like iPad 2,3.4 smart case) then I may return it and get a Smart Cover.

I think you can't use original iPad Air cases with the Air 2 as the thickness is signifcant.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have always used Aplle smart case and have one arriving today for my 2. They work quite well.

8. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are they well protected if you drop them? Wouldn't want it to smash of damage. Never dropped an iPad before but there's always a first time! Also what are the edges like, the iPad 2/3/4 smart case had very sharp edges, are these more rounded?

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

IMO, Apple branded cases are terrible values and don't feel particularly good to me. Hunting on Amazon will net you so many other choices which are better and cheaper. Try the brand Fintie. We've used them for a while now on various iPads and they are great cases and cost very little.

That's just one example of many choices. I'd shop around a bit before going with an apple case.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you want drop protection then Otterbox is your best bet. I do not drop my stuff, at least not in years, and do not wish to add that much bulk. In the owrst case if I did damage my iPad I would get it repaired or replaced and move on.

To each his own. I have found the Apple smart cases to provide the exact coverage I want with the minumum of bulk added. If money is the most important factor I admit there are cheaper cases.

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

My thoughts exactly. I am using a thin Black profile cover back cover on my iPad Air, but don't want to use it on my Gold iPad Air 2 as it would take away from the overall good look of it.

12. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

IPad Air 1 screen protectors work with the iPad Air 2. Cases on the other hand may be loose. I order the poetic graph grip for the IPad Air 2 in black. Coming early next month. I will be using the GraphGrip for the iPad Air in my iPad Air 2 as a temporary solution.

13. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

The Air 2 has different camera and volume button positioning, as well as lacking a mute switch and being thinner. The secondary microphone has also been relocated adjacent to the camera lens.

The majority of 3rd party cases that have large, crude cutouts for the switches and bottom might be ok in a pinch, but overall, an Air 1 case will not be a good fit.

A precisely cut case like the Smart Case would be even worse.

The screen dimensions are very similar, if not identical, which is why protectors and the Smart Cover are ok.