iPad iPad Air: Case or naked?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by SteelBlueTJ, Dec 30, 2013.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

Just wondering how many of you who have the iPad Air use it with a case or do you have it bare naked? The Air is so nice and light that putting a case on it makes it bulky. I bought the Targus Versavu which is a nice case, but add almost a whole pound of weight. I took it out of the case and wow...what a difference! I hesitate to keep it this way unprotected in the event of a drop or something. What do you think? Do you put yours in a case?

2. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I use mine naked, but I put it in a sleeve when I take it anywhere to protect it from scratches when it's in my bag.

3. mpantone, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

I've come to the conclusion that I dislike the bulk of full-body iPad cases, as they largely neutralize much of the enjoyment of using a slim, lightweight device. This dislike also extends to portfolio-style cases that protect the back of the iPad.

The only time I care for full-body protection is when the iPad leaves the house and gets shoved in a backpack, so I opt for a sleeve that can transport the iPad along with the Smart Cover. That way, the sleeve provides protection in transit, but when I get to my destination, I can use the iPad normally without a bulky case.

This is the leather sleeve from Etsy that I'm currently using for my iPad mini Retina:

[​IMG]

It is sized to accommodate the Smart Cover and is spacious enough where I can insert a couple sheets of paper for note-taking.

The merchant also makes this same case for full-sized iPads.

4. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

I use it naked.. But I rarely leave the house with it. If you take it a lot to places I'd buy a case for it.

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Naked with a Gelaskin sticker on the back and a SmartCover on the front. Spigen SGP screen protector on the glass itself.

Mine goes everywhere with me (in a padded backpack purse), but at home on the couch, it's so much nicer to just pop off the SmartCover and use in "naked" form. Did the same with both iPad 2 and iPad 3, and never had an issue. (I've always stuck a Gelaskin on the back to prevent scratches, however).

6. Zacster98 macrumors newbie

I use my Air with the smart case for most of the time, but I sometimes take it out to use. As I got the iPad in white, I want to protect the chrome finish and bevelled edges, as it seems to attract scratches from the other end of the universe!

7. Max(IT), Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'd like to use it naked, but I'm too worried about scratches and dents, since I'm going to sell it in a year to buy the new one, so I'm using an Apple Smart Case ... expensive like hell :mad:

8. Atrin1 macrumors regular

i just got my air yesterday and it feels so nice naked! i think i'm going to get the smart cover for it tho

9. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

i got rMini and i got Apples red cover..
    When in bed i like to strip her naked since it feels to fat with protection on it.

10. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I really liked using my iPad Air in its naked form but it still felt too slippery. I have the Invellop smart case whatever it's called and I just ordere the Moshi iVsor XT for the screen. I'm keeping an eye open for MagBak and waiting for an Air version.

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

White carbon fiber type skin on the back and Apple cover.

12. GreatMightySymp macrumors member

GreatMightySymp

Naked, but I have a smart cover for general protection around the house and a sleeve to put it in while traveling.

13. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Naked, sorta. Just a red smart cover just to protect the screen. I have nothing on my iPhone either. I suppose i like to live dangerously...:cool:

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Put a skinomi skin on mine and a Smart Cover so I can have a stand with me at all times. Did not use skin on screen though. Just the back.

15. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

16. coleblk macrumors regular

Air 64GB Cellular Space Gray with the black Apple Smart Case. I love it so far. Also AppleCare+!

17. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Naked. I think Applecare+ is the best case you can buy, really, and it allows you to use the iPad as it was intended :)

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No case. I use a screen protector and I use a smart cover. That's all I need.

If it scratched on the back, so be it.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use a Joy Factory Smartsuit for my rMini and Ghost armor to protect the screen
    CSE114_1.jpg

The case is great, it predates apple's smart case, its less money and I love the construction. In releasing the Smart case this year, Apple provided some different color selection I'd be more tempted to buy that but as it stands I'm happy with the smartsuite

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Here in Italy I paid for my Air Smart Case the same amount of money a cheap android tablet costs . Literally :eek:

21. Maziar macrumors 6502

I've searched a lot for a case but even the lightest of them(which the official smart cover/case) makes a difference in weight because the Air is so light that even such cases make a difference.
    I'm using mine naked and no scratches or anything so far.I'm planning to get a sleeve for it though

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You are right: with the Smart Case my Air is not as slim as it is naked, and it's a pity :(
    But I want to preserve it as new as I can, and I'm afraid of accidental drops.
    It could happen.

23. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I go with a case mainly to improve the grip a little. These devices are beautiful but a tad slippery . . .

24. karboN.6 macrumors regular

I would case it just incase hahaha :cool:

25. rasputinj macrumors regular

I always use a case, I have dropped a few iPads. I tend to purchase 3-4 cases before I find one that I like.