iPad iPad Air case similar to Apple's original iPad case?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by acosmichippo, Nov 23, 2013.

1. acosmichippo macrumors regular

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but it's very a difficult one to google or search on the forum. So I apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

Anyway, in case you aren't familiar with Apple's original iPad case, it looks like this:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipad-case/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I really like about it is the clip on the back that holds the folded back cover very tightly. You can pick up the iPad, move it around, hand it to someone else, whatever, and the cover will remain folded back in the stand position until you take it out.

I currently have an apple smart case for my iPad air, and while it is better in some ways, I am just not a fan of the magnetic three-section cover design. It flops around and undoes itself from the stand position way too easily for my tastes.

So does anyone know of similar cases to this for the iPad air? I've found the Vaja libretto (too expensive), and the roocase ultraslim folio (too cheap looking)... so I'm wondering if there's something in-between.

Thanks!

2. farme macrumors member

There's a german company called Kavaj, that has a leather case in that style:
    Kavaj Berlin

3. acosmichippo thread starter macrumors regular

4. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I ordered that case and should be receiving it any day now - hopefully today, and will give a quick honest review. Ive seen very mixed reviews for the case at this point with it not being a good fit as the issue.

5. acosmichippo thread starter macrumors regular

cool, thanks. I've already ordered it myself.

The only downside I can see from their site is that it looks a tad bulkier than the smart case. But I can deal with that.

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Supposedly the weight is really light. I really hope I get the case in the mail today. What's interesting is that I ordered it through preorder and it was shipped out Wednesday. Then Thursday it was available with 2 day shipping through
    Prime.

7. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

I just posted the same question yesterday. I love the original case but don't really want it in leather. Part of the reason I love the original is how thin and lightweight it is, I really don't want to add any bulk to my air....and I don't want to spend that much either. :/

8. acosmichippo thread starter macrumors regular

same here. Ideally i'd prefer thin and light, but this will do for me. I just wish more case manufacturers would do the original one-fold cover design instead of just mimicking whatever apple does.

9. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

I would also love one for my new mini. So far no luck.

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I received my Kavaj Berlin case which is the same design but in leather. While it isn't as slim as the original Apple poly case, it really doesn't add too much heft. I think it's definitely lighter than any hard back case out there.

11. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I'm not a fan of leather and I really loved the feel of the original case - soft but grippy. The whole thing was light but protective. I really wish Apple would offer it again, or someone would do a non-leather knock-off.

12. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I agree that it was a great design that kept the slim form factor the best. My only gripe was that it was a bugger to keep clean - had to constantly wipe it down.

Another non-leather brand of the same design is the Chinao cases. They come in both leather and synthetic and are sold on eBay but I haven't seen any for the iPad air - at least not yet.