iPad iPad Air Charging Time?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sambobsessed, Nov 4, 2013.

1. sambobsessed, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

sambobsessed macrumors member

For anyone who has bought the iPad Air - how long does it take you to charge it?

It's taken me an hour for 10%... something must not be right here. :-(

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Are you actually using it whilst its charging or is it in sleep mode.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

No longer than 3.5 to 4 hours from 32% to 100% battery here. Be sure to use the larger wall wart, not a Mini or iPhone wall wart.

4. sambobsessed thread starter macrumors member

Using it but still that's quite long right? :O

----------

Ooops I'm using the charger from my 5S should it make a difference?

5. enjoimorenow macrumors newbie

no, you're using the device, which is draining the battery, while you are trying to charge it. I mean, honestly, how can you expect a device to charge rapidly while you are simultaneously draining the battery? If you want it to charge quickly, don't use it. If you want to use it, don't complain that it takes longer to charge.

Also, the charger does make a difference. iPhone chargers are 5w, iPad used to be 12w, now are back down to 10w on the new models I believe.

6. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Yes, definitely, that is your issue right there.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think the little chargers are 1A and the new one for the iPad is 2.4A (12 W). Yes, that would make a difference in charge speed.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

1) Using the device while it's charging will absolutely effect the charging time, especially if you're doing intensive tasks such as playing a game or watching video.

2) It will make a large difference, yes. It will charge much slower using the 5s charger than if you use the correct iPad charger that came with the iPad.

9. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Can we use the iPad wall charger to charge a iPhone 5s?

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes you can.

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Yes. As a matter of fact you will see you 5S charge a bit faster as well using an iPad charger. The bigger the charger, the faster the devices can suck up energy.

12. bwsteg macrumors 6502

So it will have no negative effects on my 5s battery? I was under the assumption that higher wattage chargers could affect electronics that normally use lesser wattage.

13. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

In this case, your assumptions are wrong. Apple makes their products work together without detrimental effects.

It is the circuitry built into the Lithium Polymer battery that controls charging rate, along with the thermal control circuitry built into the iPad (stuffing ions into a Lithium Polymer solution generates heat). The wall wart tells the iPad how much energy it can feed and the iPad decides how much to use to charge it.

In the case of iPad Air, you have a wall wart capable of outputting 12W, and a battery capable of holding 32.4 Watt hours. This means your 12W wall wart supplying power non stop for 2.7 hours would fully charge your iPad, IF your iPad can handle the thermal increase of charging at this high rate. If the iPad is already heating up due to CPU and screen use, then the charging rate has to be reduced in order to stay inside the designed thermal envelope.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, it won't.

For Apple and most other device makers, the device will only take as much power as it can handle, OR the max power the charger can deliver, whichever is lower.

Unless you're using a cheap knockoff charger, the charger won't force the device to take more power than it can handle.

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

This.

Think of it as stuffing food in your mouth. You can only chew so much at a time even though you have a bucket full of KFC in front of you.