iPad iPad Air complete battery drain overnight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jtmav, Nov 7, 2014.

1. jtmav macrumors member

Not every night but I would say once a week the battery completely drains overnight in sleep mode. It is usually 60-90% full every night as I charge it in my office every day. It has happened with both IOS 7.0+ and I have updated to 8.1 the problem occurred last night. Any ideas?
    Thanks for any help
    JTMav

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Hard to believe, even if you have something running in the background. Have you looked at what apps are using power?

Settings-General-Usage-Battery Usage

It will show the offending app.

Come back and let us know. It is possible, but rare, that you have a defective device.

3. jtmav thread starter macrumors member

Home & Lock Screen 88%
    Safari 2%
    iBooks 2%

etc.
    There is nothing showing more than 1-2%
    JTMav

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

That's very odd. Try a full reset and let us know your results.

5. jtmav thread starter macrumors member

I have done a reset after each episode and still the problem comes back. I guess I need to contact Apple, ugh.

JTMav

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Charge it to full (100%) to reset the battery use meter. Then lewt it "sleep" for a few hours and let us know these figures agaion plus how much is remaining after a few hours of sleeping.

Is you backlight turning off when sleeping?

7. jtmav thread starter macrumors member

Will do and yes the backlight is turning off when sleeping
    Thanks
    JTMav

8. jtmav thread starter macrumors member

So I did a chat with Apple support, did an online diagnostic and found no issue with the battery. Recommended a factory restore because of some software issues detected in the diagnostic report. I guess I will try that tonight and see if it occurs again. Fairly boilerplate but maybe it will be resolved. Let you know if it isn't resolved by this action.
    Thanks for your help, best forum around
    JTMav

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Good Luck and have a great weekend!:)

10. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I just recently picked up an Air 1 and noticed yesterday that I couldn't get the spinning wheel next to wifi to go away when on home screen. Didn't show within apps, but anytime back to home screen it was there spinning.

I killed all apps which made no difference. Ultimately the only that stopped it was a reboot. iPad is running 7.1.2.

11. Fontane macrumors regular

I just posted a thread with the same exact issue and then found your thread. I hope we can fix this. Way too much money for these devices to have this kind of issue.

I'm going to monitor mine tonight. Please report back if you find a fix and I will too. Cheers.

12. batman75 macrumors 6502

Take it out of the case and see if it does the same thing? Some poorly designed cases interfere with the lock/unlock feature causing the screen to turn on and off through the night. Or the case may be installed incorrectly and may be catching one of the sensors or buttons. Also make sure your home button is clean. Finally check for any water damage.

If none of that works then reinstall iOS (setup as a new device).

13. jtmav thread starter macrumors member

I did a fresh back up and restore this morning. Will see if it solves the problem.
    I am using an apple case and it seems to fit properly. I will update one way or another in a week or if the problem reoccurres.
    JTMav