iPad iPad Air Cover: Balancing weight with function

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LadyCiel, Jan 26, 2014.

1. LadyCiel macrumors member

Hi everyone. I just got an iPad Air, and I've spent the past 24 hours searching and reading trying to find the right case. Nothing has jumped out as THE best option for the list of wants I've compiled. I'm hoping for some feedback/ideas from those of you with hands on experience and a broader knowledge of what's out there or possibly expected to arrive in the near future.

Must Haves:
    • Less than 250 grams. I've tested my tolerance by holding paper/magazines under my Air, and at about 250 grams it gets pretty darn noticeable and annoying.
    • Provides a modicum of drop protection (the corners of my 3rd gen are rounded after a couple short drops from the couch onto a thin area rug. It was in a Moshi folio case with a rubber-type frame to hold the ipad. Didn't do diddly to protect the aluminum.)
    • Front and back coverage
    • Multiple viewing angles - I prefer to have more flexibility and stability than given by the smart cover and copycats.
    • Auto on/off magnet

Really Wants:
    • Magnet holds front cover closed to back in book mode
    • Cover closes securely w/o wiggle that could trigger ipad to wake
    • Durable

Sure Would Be Nice:
    • Portrait stand option
    • More than a modicum of drop protection

Don't Give a Hoot:
    • Showing off that it's an ipad
    • Amazing color selection

When I first saw it I thought the Moshi VersaCover might be a good option, but the repeated complaints of cracking in a very short time has me really turned off at the moment. It'd be one thing if it was an issue of just getting a bad copy and having it replaced, but the reviews seem to suggest it's a bigger issue than that. Anyone care to argue that point? I've also seen a kid on youtube complaining that the narrow sections of the front cover at top and bottom start to flap away from the ipad when closed after a bit of use.

The Devicewear Ridge is appealing for how it stands and offers a typing angle w/o any of the inside cover touching the table to get dirty. However, it's on the upper end of the weight range I'd lke to consider. Can anyone say whether or not the front cover sticks to the back in book mode?

I saw that Speck is coming out with a Durafolio which offers military spec drop resistance in a folio case. Looks interesting, but I'd be amazed if the weight is particularly low. Also no word on an exact release date other than "Q1".

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I ended up with the Belkin Sheer Shield Matte + Smart Cover. I only use the cover when traveling so save some weight there. Love the silky feel of the Beklin rear case - not plasticky at all. But it is a bit overpriced IMHO @ $30. You can find it for less if you search. I got lucky @ found it at bestbuy.com one week for $15 -- fair value I think. It adds hardly no weight to the Air but almost completely protects the back and offers minimal drop protection for dings and such. More than I would have liked to have spent but you pay too with the knockoffs b/c they weigh a lot more.

FWIW I bought the Colorant brand polycarb rear case for my mini. $5 shipped on Amazon. They don't have an Air version there but maybe someone does. It looks and feels just like the Belkin.

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I agree. I've had a lot of cases and the Smart Cover and separate hard cover combination really is the best. The biggest reason is that any full case that tries to replicate the Smart Cover is going to fail. They either aren't as durable, slide around and inadvertently activate the sleep/wake function or they just simply don't look and feel as good. The Smart Cover is a must buy for me.

Then for back covers, I tend to like something that's a clear matte texture. So slightly transparent but fingerprint resistant. Caudabe makes a really good back cover and I've had the Caudabe Shell for both my older iPads and my ipad Air. At $15 it's a great buy. http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-air-accessories/products/the-shell-air

4. LadyCiel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys, but my issue is that I really prefer to have more stand viewing angles than the Smart Cover gives. I know the cover is the lightest option, and I love that it's removable, but as a stand I find it useless. A stand is half the reason I want a case.

Anybody have any other ideas?

----------

I will add that I travel a lot with the ipad, and I wouldn't find carrying a stand separate from the case to be practical.

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I use the belkin shield and Smart Cover too, great set up. I use a belkin flip stand in my office. The Smart Cover works better as a stand with the belkin shield on than without it for some reason. Magnets hold the cover back too.

Not easy finding what you want, I tried Apple smart case first and sent it back.

6. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

i-Blason back cover + Apple Smart Cover.

I've tried numerous options and I keep coming back to this for leisure and work ( commercial pilot ). Stands up well on a desk, on the counter while cooking, in bed watching movies, and also thin and light enough to fit my knee strap at work, yoke mount, or wind screen mount for my maps and checklists.

Edit- My knee strap

http://www.myclipforipad.com/board.php

7. LadyCiel thread starter macrumors member

Any ideas OTHER than some combination with the Smart Cover, Smart Cover knockoffs, or an external stand to get my original list of must haves?? I don't like the Smart Cover as a stand. I need a stand with more flexibility.

8. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Doesn't the i_blason have some sort of "cover anchor lock" that prevents you from easily removing the smart cover? That's the reason I didn't go with it. It seemed to defeat the purpose of having a smart cover in the 1st place. I got a Fintie hard shell back case on Amazon a few days ago for around 6 bucks and it's already bugging me. The plastic lip around the front of the ipad makes it very uncomfortable. It's not rounded enough and feels like it's digging in. I may have to just bite the bullet and go with the Belkin as well.

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yes, this stand, works great with belkin shield and smart cover.

http://www.belkin.com/us/F5L084-Belkin/p/P-F5L084/

10. LadyCiel thread starter macrumors member

I don't know whether to think you're trolling me or just need to work on your reading comprehension.

I've read every post I can find about air cases and have watched a million reviews on YouTube. My head is spinning with options and I simply wanted to know what others here would suggest based on my list of needs, listed very clearly when I started this thread. Despite saying, with good reasons, that I am looking for options other than a Smart Cover or a separate stand, the few people to reply have only pointed to exactly those items. It's comical. And seriously frustrating.

11. Kisey, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

Kisey macrumors 6502a

What about the rooCASE: http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Apple...0952579&sr=8-1&keywords=ipad+air+origami+case or Incipio Lgnd: http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-LGND-...952579&sr=8-13&keywords=ipad+air+origami+case?

You should list the cases you've seen and know you don't want/like so we don't waste our time recommending those products.

12. Robster3 macrumors 68000

So sorry thought you were after a stand, how about you do your own dirty work:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

13. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

There is a version without the lock but I personally haven't tried it.

Edit- Here is the version without the anchor.... http://amzn.to/1giMdOH