iPad Ipad Air crack

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Newgengaming, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Newgengaming macrumors newbie

I woke up this morning to find that my ipad air had a very tiny crack on the right side of the screen. Now the crack is not noticeable however the crack has caused. a line to go through the right side of the screen and it can't be only seen under a bright light and white screens. I contacted apple they said it would cost 256 GBP to fix. I don't know how this could've happened as the ipad was covered with a screen protector and case and was well looked after. Any solutions and how hard would it be to fix the screen

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No sure how it could have happened but 99.99% of the time Apple considers this accidental damage and thus not covered under the warranty. I think there are other places that can replace the glass for you, I'm not familiar with them - ask the google for any locations in your area.

I personally would bite the bullet and have apple do it, but that's just me.

I think the cases are designed not to be opened up by the consumer so the repair complexity would be rather high but check out ifixit and see for yourself.

3. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Get a Genius appointment and go to your local Apple store. Let them inspect the air and if there is no impact point e.g. it is a clean crack with no initial crush point etc then it could be a stress fracture. If this is the case they can replace it for free.

If they don't do it for free then check your home contents insurance as the excess charges will probably be less than the cost of Apple fixing it.

My iPad Air screen cracked a week after I got it (and on the same day that my cover arrived too late). It had banged on one side and blew the screen out. I took it to Apple and the Genius said to get Applecare +, which I did but it went through as standard Applecare so when I went to claim I wasn't covered. Fortunately the stars at Apple in Austin TX replaced it for free for me. Rule of thumb, always be polite and understanding regardless of the outcome, they may just surprise you.