iPad Air cracked glass

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rovex, Nov 10, 2013.

1. rovex macrumors 65816

Ok so the glass on my has a thin crack all the way across the screen. It didn't drop i must of whacked it against something and disappointed it didn't hold up better.

How do go about replacing it? What's the costing for doing it either through apple or better yet DIY. Digitizer's fine btw.

Thanks.

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

You'll have to take it to the Genius Bar for an out of warranty repair. It'll probably cost you around $229. That's a good deal considering the price you paid ($500+).

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

And check with your credit card company to see if you've got any accidental damage insurance. Did you get AC+?

Clint

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mine has also developed a thin crack that runs diagonally across the screen from the upper left to the lower left about five inches long. It runs completely up to the edge of the screen on both sides. Thing is I have not dropped it or bumped into anything. It just appeared all on its own. I'm wondering if there is a defect in the glass or something.

I have a Genius appointment this afternoon and will let you know what happens.

5. ScottW1, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

ScottW1 macrumors regular

Tough to replace yourself it due to all the adhesive (see the iFixit teardown for more info, and the iFixit web site has parts and repair instructions as well if you want to go that route, but not sure they have screens for the Air yet).

If you purchased AC+ along with your iPad, it will be $49 for a replacement unit. If you didn't purchase AC+, then an out-of-warranty replacement is $299. That's the "worst case" of what you are looking at. However....

Make a genius bar appointment, and explain the circumstances. They may decide there was some defect with the glass or assembly that caused it to crack, and offer to replace it free. That's unlikely, but may happen depending on how they view the damage.

The most likely outcome, given it's only a couple weeks old, is they will offer to let you purchase AC+ retroactively for $99 and then use one of the $49 accidental damage events available under AC+. That means you'll walk out with a replacement for $149, and you will have the remainder of AC+ (a two-year warranty, and one more $49 accidental damage event).

6. rovex thread starter macrumors 65816

It's even steeper than that where i am. Think i'll have to try something else.

I do indeed but there's an excess best to avoid it methinks.

No never tried AC.

I'll contact apple online tomorrow see where i go from there.

7. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

You do have credit card insurance to cover accidental damage? Why would you avoid using it, then?

Clint

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just got back from the Apple Store and they gave me a new iPad no problem at all. I explained how the crack just appeared and that I had not dropped it or anything. They looked it over and agreed there was no sign of any impact marks that would be there if I dropped it and did the paperwork then handed me a new replacement. She said she had seen this before on iPads.

Good experience all around. Hopefully yours goes the same way. :)

9. rritterson macrumors 6502

Back when the iPhone 4 came out, first run phones were spontaneously shattering. Some issue with the way the glass was laminated or held in place.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a tiny defect in the manufacturing. Typically, Apple Engineering recalls the first 100 to break of any new device, to study how it happened and work to avoid it in the next run.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Source?

11. Iceboie macrumors member

What if Apple didn't gave the OP a great replacement for $150 and demanded $300 for a out oof warranty option, is Square Trade for $100 a better deal? Note, I am not familiar with Square Trade but they advertised that they cover water damages for two years. I bought an iPad Air from Tmo to get the free 200mb data plan and I want know is the option right now.

12. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Check into Worth Avenue Group. They cover more (including theft) and at a better price.

http://www.worthavegroup.com/ipad

13. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Nothing stopping the OP from buying AC+ anyway and claiming right away.

I would personally do that to be on the safe side. If they swap it for free then great and if not then there is no question as to the cost of repair.

14. rritterson macrumors 6502

I can't find one handy, sorry. I've read two anecdotes--one from an iMac buyer and one from an iPhone buyer, both who were told Apple Engineering was going to recall the broken device for study. I forget the reason for the iMac problems, but the iPhone owner bought an iPhone 4, walked out of the store with it, and dropped it within 2 minutes of owning it, shattering the glass.

15. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Sounds like apples policies have changed a bit. When I lived in Fl. I brought my iPads back for exchange due to any hardware or software issue. I got 3 ipad3's from them . Refurbs of course. If you have a broken glass your less likely to get free replacement devices. I had a weird headphone outlet, changed it,
    I had backlight bleeding, changed it.

16. T4R06 macrumors 65816

you tell the truth... also pinpoint to them that there is no dent at all just the glass crack. they might replace this one for you

17. Kdes09 macrumors newbie

iPad air cracked screen

Apparently they must have done something with iPad air to not make it better but more fragile. Then I just got it at first I really was impress with how light it was, but today I'm very disappointed with this new iPad air: just today I was using it: just regular use, and all of the sudden right where you hold it on the top of the right corner with your thumb the glass just cracked and it created long cracks along the screen. It's really unacceptable that such an expensive device would crack from normal use. I didn't drop it, or did any kind of impact to it at all, plus I have padded cover on it and a screen protector from the very beginning. The iPad is just a little over a month old: I got one of the first ones came out. Before this one I owned the original iPad, then iPad 2nd and 3rd gen. And nether one had any problems. In fact my iPad 3 is closed to 2 years old: my father is still using it now. How they can make this new one so fragile? Not sure what would be my options: made an app. to Genius Bar tomorrow, I hope they would recognize the fault of the make of it, not that something I did to it, but we'll see and hopefully replace it under warranty.

18. Tamtastical72 macrumors newbie

Thumb cracked ipad air

So I had my thumb on my ipad air in the lower left hand corner. I was adjusting my blanket and held it up for a second. Brought it back down and my screen was spidered in the corner with a crack going up to the right corner. Contacted apple since it's a month old and they told me it would be $299 to fix since they don't cover negligence. I'm amazed it took so little to crack my screen. Very upset.

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    If you used a credit card for the purchase, check with that company to see if there's some sort of coverage.

20. DaBossIsHere macrumors regular

Did you do something about it? I have sort of the same problem now :/

Can you post a pic also to see if it is the same sort of damage my ipad has? As i think this a pretty common damage.

21. NJESUSandAngel macrumors newbie

iPad Air Cracked Glass / no drops

I have had the exact same situation. My ipad air cracked while cleaning the glass. Honestly, no drops or bumps. Really weird. Event Apple support and the Genius bar said they never seen anything like it, but charged me me $49 bucks with the apple care plus, to replace. I have owned every generation of the ipad, with the exception of the mini, and really believe there is a manufacturing issue.

22. karent329 macrumors newbie

Cracked glass

I recently purchased my iPad Air this past Saturday and noticed a crack in the lower left hand corner yesterday. I too did not drop or mishandle my iPad in anyway and its been in its proctective case since I bought it. I called the Sprint store where I purchased it and they basically said my only option was to submit a claim but I would have to pay the $150 deductible. In my opinion that was not an option as I did nothing to cause the crack. After reading post on this forum I decided to just go to the Apple store and see if they could assist me. I'm glad I did. I explained what happened to the tech he looked at the iPad and within less than a half an hour I was out of there with a new iPad at no cost to me. :)