iPad iPad Air Dead Pixels?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by naivetiu, Dec 28, 2013.

1. naivetiu macrumors newbie

I have gone to the Apple store twice and opened seven boxes in total, and each of the iPad Airs has had 1+ dead pixels. The first time I went one of the iPads had a shocking 5 broken pixels. The second time I went I opened two boxes and was not allowed to open any more, and thus I was forced to choose between an iPad with 4 broken pixels and an iPad with 2 broken pixels and a tiny scratch. A technician inspected the iPad and said that the broken pixel was dust under the screen, which it definitely was not. Besides, as if that would make it any better; it's still a defect. Anyway, I ended up chopsing the one with 2 dead pixels and left the store extremely disappointed in the customer service this time around as well as extremely stressed, and I was feeling like that for a couple of days afterwards. I still had not opened that iPad from its box and it had been sitting there because I didn't want to think about it and be stressed once again. Eventually I just opened it up and inspected it again and it was not THAT bad, but it's noticeable. Basically there is one dead pixel, and the other thing I thought was a dead pixel is probably just dust under the screen because it's only noticeable from specific angles. I could not find the scratch under the light in my apartment.

Anyway, I can do one of two things:

(1) Keep fighting this war and try to find one without a stuck pixel, and potentially stress myself out in the meantime. However, if I eventually find one without a dead pixel (which I'm starting to think is HIGHLY unlikely after opening 7 boxes) I will be very satisfied.

(2) Accept the fact that it has these defects and move on with my life. Forget about perfection and just slap on a matte screen protector that will blur everything out and disguise the defects from my eyes. Finally, I will be able to rest and over time forget that this ever happened. Hopefully.

I really don't want to hate my iPad, and I also don't want to hate my life. I'm in the middle of moving and I have boxes everywhere, and I'm also going to be starting the new semester of school again in January. I don't know if the hassle is worth it, but I also don't know if it's right for me to have a product that I paid a lot of money for that has a dead pixel. Then again, will it kill me to have one darn dead pixel? I feel like I have two people living inside of me that both want different things! Someone please give me some advice.

Thanks!

(If you'd like to see pictures of the pixel and the dust under the screen, let me know.)

(Also, do you think these things will affect the iPad's resale value?)

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Not everyone can be happy. I have owned over 20 Apple devices and never returned one.

You are stressing yourself big time. After opening 7 devices, even you are wondering if you will EVER be happy.

People like you add at least $100 to the cost of every phone Apple sells. They have done the best they can to satisfy you and at this point, if I was the store manager, I would ban you!:eek:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seems hard to believe that 7 iPads would have an issue. As a potential buyer perhaps that iPad was not a good choice for you. Seriously, if you're unhappy with so many of them I'm not sure any iPad would satisfy you.

FWIW, between my family (wife and kids) we've owned 6 iPads of various models and all of them have been perfect.

Also how could you see a dead pixel just by opening the box and looking at it - pixels are sooo small. Generally speaking there are websites with colored pages to help identify dead pixels but you need to go through the registration process to use the browser but you state you only opened up the box or am I missing anything.

4. naivetiu thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry Lucille that "people like me" affect lives of other people so negatively.

I actually felt quite embarrassed opening up so many but the first time I came the sales associate was totally cool with it and encouraged me to try to find one I was 100% satisfied with, even if that meant opening a lot of them. I Googled this problem and in a lot of forums people were saying to keep exchanging if there is a dead pixel, so that is what I was doing. I guess I am quite OCD like many other people on the internet. Other than these small problems, the iPad is great and returning it is not an option for me; I am simply wondering whether I should keep exchanging it.

maflynn, someone accidentally dropped a nail on my first iPad and I was checking afterwards to see if it made a scratch and I ended up finding the pixels by accident. They are actually visible when the screen is turned off because they appear as white dots, and when the screen is turned on and white, the pixels are black dots. I guess they are just holes in the screen so whatever light goes through gets distorted...? I'm not quite sure, but this made it quite easy to spot them in store. We did go through the setup for each iPad though, and each time the white dot ended up being a dead pixel.

I guess I just had higher expectations for Apple and was hoping that the dead pixels were just on some models, but it looks like their products are not as perfect as they are made to seem.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your input! :) Any other input would also be appreciated.

5. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Not really. Guess your not happy with other people being unhappy :)

It is classed that if a product has 99.9% functional pixels, it is good. But with even just one dead pixel; it can be taken back and replaced if the buyer is not happy. If the OP is not happy; he has every right to get it replaced until happy. He is only asking for no dead pixels, it's not like he is being unhappy for the sake of being unhappy so respect his high hope in Apple products rather than putting him down for it.

----------

I recommend retuning it for a refund then waiting a month to go back in hope of a different batch/go to another store. This is the best bet.

----------

I was using someones iPad Air a week ago and it had one dead pixel (black and was only visible on white). Another family member of mine has an iPad Air and it has no dead pixels. They were bought from different shops though.

6. naivetiu thread starter macrumors newbie

She* :p Heh

Thanks so much for your input! I'm thinking of just going to a different store somewhere else, because maybe it is just that one batch that is messed up. However if I go to the other store and there are *still* dead pixels, then I guess I will just deal with it. Are you sure your other family member's iPad has no pixels? Mine was very unnoticeable until I looked at my iPad from up close, and then once I saw it I could not unsee it haha. Anyway, thanks again for the help!

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Sorry about the "she" thing, I was pretty sleepy yesterday.

Anyway, if you got to another store and there is still dead pixels, I would still recommend waiting. You should not lower your expectations. Wait a few weeks, or try online.

The person who's iPad air I tried, the dead pixel was only noticeable a week ago yet I have used there iPad for the previous 3 weeks or so. When checking for dead pixels, using a black background, then a white background are your best bet. Then try red, green, yellow and blue. If you still see none your fine. What I don't what to think is the pixel wasn't there from the start, and it has burnt out over use; as this would be big trouble for apple.

So I would recommend going to another store (look to see if the alternative store has a display model) then when you get back to the car, check the iPad there. Use your phone as a wireless hotspot and set up you iPad with the basics then go online and go to this site for the different colours;

http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php
    (just type in dead pixel test in a search engine, I used Google)

Press the colour buttons at the bottom and it will take you to that colour. Rotate your iPad when in each colour to determine there is no dead pixels at the top border on Safari. If that iPad does have dead pixels and the display model didn't, then if you go and get it replaced, you still have a good chance that the replacement will be good. If not get a refund.

I recommend trying another apple store close to you. In the UK, there is a few PC worlds that have an mini Apple Store inside with Apple Geniuses and display models. There is also trying John Lewis if your in the UK as they give a 2 year warranty, and customer care is as good as Apples.

Really hope I have helped you; I know it seems very stressful, but you will only be 100% happy if you do this. I really hope you find a good one, never lower your expectations.

8. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Dead pixels on "I"devices are very rare, but I can't see any reason why Apple will not exchange it... They always do, with no questions asked :)

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I am not happy when I see the system abused and it ends up costing me and ALL of us more money when we buy Apple products.

To many people who feel they are "entitled":p

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Then what is the point in spending more money on an Apple product if you have to lower your expectations down to a level of "lower end" tablets. Apple appear to be having a lot of problems with their iPad screens right now with dead pixels, yellow tints...

I spend more on an Apple product to get a higher level of quality, and dead pixels is certainly not acceptable in the level of quality. I'm on the OP's side.

I do think you have a point on people replacing Apple products time after time for the most silly of reasons, but I know that this is not the case with the OP. People with good eye sight easily notice these dead pixels once noticed.

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It proves the point that spending more money does not always make the device better OR perfect!:p

12. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Very true! I have seen it quite a bit with Apple products lately. By any chance, does Samsung make the iPad screens? :p