iPad iPad Air Dings Out Of Box

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ERIC8585, Dec 26, 2013.

1. ERIC8585 macrumors member

Why do I always get an Apple device with scratches/dings on it new out of the box? My iPhone 4 had one, my iPhone 5 had a couple and now my iPad Air has these two on the front and one on the corner. What the hell? Is there any use in returning this for a replacement?

[​IMG]

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

The quality control is pretty bad, especially with the first batches. I had issues with the iPhone 5 around release date last year (i.e. vibrate button stuck, dings out of the box). If that's gonna bother you, I'd exchange or return asap.

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I got two for gifts at Christmas. One perfect but withs screen issues, and one with a slimier mark to yours. But only one on the edge to wards the rear, so can't be seen with a case. I could return or exchange but will wait till later on. As I dare say I will case more damage to it my self.

4. FAsnakes macrumors regular

No clue, that's some bad luck.. I've never had a defective product, scratched, dinged or otherwise.

Replacement shouldn't be an issue - especially if you're within the 15 day return window.

5. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Unfortunately this happens from time to time it cannot be helped. It's definitely unlucky! :(

Apple's manufacturing defects have definitely risen in recent years with surface scratches and dents being one of the biggest issues. We must however remember our demand for these products has increased significantly and manufacturing has already exceeded capacity in most cases.

Fortunately Apple has a fantastic policy to cover these issues and is very accepting of these defects. Pop into an Apple Store or phone AppleCare (If ordered online) you'll get a new one in no-time.

Good luck next time! :)

6. Florals macrumors member

I feel your pain. :( My iPhone 5 had a scratch on the back casing when it arrived, and my rMini had a small chip on the top left corner of the back casing. I wasn't all that bothered about the iPhone as I knew it would end up getting a few scratches with general use, but I was slightly miffed about the iPad. I would say, if you really think it's going to bother you, take it back. You've spent a lot of money on this product and you deserve to be entirely happy with it.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd take it back. Oddly enough, I received a replacement ipad 3 a month ago that had strange marks on the plastic strip that appears on the LTE model. However, I kept it since it works fine and I'll probably upgrade next year anyway.

8. ERIC8585 thread starter macrumors member

My main concern about returning it is getting one that has worse problems than the one I have now. For example, my ipad 2 and ipad 3 had significant light bleed and this iPad Air I got doesn't have much.

I should probably just buy another one and return which ever one is worse after I have time to look at it at home.

9. knguye11 macrumors newbie

knguye11

I'm assuming this is brand new iPad and it's not a factory refurbished. If brand new, it's unacceptable. If not troublesome, exchange for another one.

10. ERIC8585 thread starter macrumors member

Yes brand new.

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I, too, had a couple of very tiny marks that came with my Air. This is the first device of 10 Apple devices that my husband and I have purchased over the last 6 years that came with visual defects albeit small. I considered bringing it back but bought it at Best Buy and just know that their return policy is not all that customer friendly. My Air also has no screen issues as a lot others were complaining of. I ended up with a white carbon fiber type skin on the back so now at least I don't look at the marks.

12. ERIC8585 thread starter macrumors member

Mine are on the top edge and aren't covered by the ipad case. They're shiny so it's irritating. Think I'll just buy another one and return the worse of the two.

13. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Mine came scratched out the box too.

[​IMG]

Got a replacement and it was perfect.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That bites :(

Mine was perfect out of the box - my only suggestion is to bring it back to apple and explain the situation.

15. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

16. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Is it into the aluminum or on top of it? I've had some glue residue on a couple devices that I removed with my fingernail.

17. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I exchanged my first iPad Air due to yellowing on the left side of the screen. Got my replacement and immediately noticed a chip in the chamfered edge near the top of the screen. Not terribly bad but it's become the first thing I look for in a new or replacement device after going several rounds with scratched up iPhone 5. Ultimately though the screen on this unit was night and day better than the first iPad Air I had. Given all the things I had read about people getting screens with yellowing or uneven backlighting, I decided I could easily live with one small nick rather than risk getting another replacement with a worse screen.

If it really bothers you, by all means return it. But I would think twice about it if your unit has a good screen that you are happy with. There are definitely some less-than-great iPad Air screens out there.

18. ERIC8585 thread starter macrumors member

That's why I was thinking of buying another one and returning the worse of the two.

----------

That's worse than mine.

19. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Mine had a small ding on the bottom chamfered edge - straight out of the box. But since the screen was perfect, I'm just dealing with it. Didn't want play the exchange roulette that some on the forums here seem to like to do.

20. blarivee, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

blarivee macrumors 6502

Case dings seems prevalent with Apple. Last year my iPad had the same dings out of the box, right at the edge where the case meets the glass. I ordered another one and that had even more dings. In the rush to meet demand, they churn out sub par products.