iPad iPad Air Exchange at Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HoosBruce, Nov 3, 2013.

1. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I am probably going to exchange my 16GB Air for a 32GB today at Best Buy and had a few questions about it before I do:

1. Does AppleCare+ simply transfer over to my new device, or will they have to cancel the original one and redo it?

2. Can I pay the remaining difference in price ($120 or so) with cash?

3. Should this whole process be pretty simple and hassle free?

Just making sure I have all my ducks in a row before I go over there. Thanks!

2. BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

Can't answer your question exactly but I exchanged my iPad air for an identical spec because of a blemish in the glass. I only had to provide my drivers license and did not have to do a credit & re-purchase or anything. So I wouldn't be surprised if you are able just payed the difference and have apple care transfered to the new device.

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have heard a long time ago that apple care doesn't transfer. They refund it and you have to buy it again for the new one. This was probably 4 years ago that I head that so maybe it's different now. I would at least check with Apple 1st because you don't want to find out the hard way it doesn't transfer.

4. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

Definitely won't automatically transfer as it's tied to the serial number. If you were exchanging it in an Apple Store they'd obviously sort all of this for you but as it's Best Buy I'm not sure what will happen - I'd assume either you or they would have to contact Apple to arrange the transfer or refund/repurchase etc.

5. zone23 macrumors 68000

I want to do the same thing IF it ever becomes available. I think I have at least 30 days because I'm a reward zone elite but not sure. Think I will call today and find out. Already ordered a replacement Zagg.

6. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would think the AppleCare wouldn't be a problem since best buy now has the rights to sell that...we shall see

7. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

Including AppleCare+? I bought AppleCare+ yesterday at the local Apple Store (should have just done it on Friday when I bought the Air but I procrastinated) and, as per the terms and conditions on the website, they checked over the iPad to ensure all was well with it first. Are Best Buy now empowered by Apple to do this? Possibly I suppose but frankly I'd be surprised if Apple trusted third party retailers to check out devices properly, if at all.

8. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are authorized to sell the AppleCare+, but I don't think you go through them for repairs or anything. I believe you would treat it as if it were any other iOS device.

9. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Made the exchange from the 16 to the 32 tonight and it went great. They just simply cancelled the prior AppleCare+ and added another coverage to the new device.