iPad iPad Air - First impressions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GregD, Nov 2, 2013.

1. GregD macrumors member

I'll try not to make this into a rant.. I went into the London Covent Garden store yesterday to try out the iPad Air with the intention of upgrading. I can honestly say I felt no amazement or urge to buy. The most underwhelming Apple product in years.

While this could be because I have an iPad2, I expected Apple to have produced something new that felt really light but it is still heavy, quite big and bulky.

If anything the iPad mini feels better in the hand and a more sound purchase, a shame there is no touch ID.

Anyone purchased an iPad Air as an upgrade from iPad2?

2. Z3man macrumors 6502a

The mini would feel better in the hand, it is a lot smaller and lighter.

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Pics or didn't happen.

The retina display alone makes it worth upgrading.

4. OSMac macrumors 65816

It amazes me anyone using a 2 would want to continue doing so after seeing any of the retina iPads. The difference in text rendering is incredible?

5. HKPDW macrumors member

I agree, it's an improvement over previous iterations however, I feel it's still too heavy and bulky.

I'm looking forward to the next mini.

6. daveb99 macrumors member

Heavy, big and bulky? It's a 9.7 inch full size iPad, not a Mini. It's probably the slimmest and lightest one out there for its size too. Sounds like you're a 7 or 8 inch tablet person to me, so surely any larger one would seem too big for your needs.

7. GregD thread starter macrumors member

The retina screen is of course amazing, my point is a retina mini seems more appealing than a retina iPad Air right now.

If I didn't already own an iPad2 maybe it would be a different story.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

Some of us care entirely about screen size and not so much about anything else. Air is great for some people.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Coming from an iPad 1 the Air is quite the upgrade.

10. baconroll macrumors member

I've yet to pick up my 32gb Air from Argos yet - going later. But when I was in town this morning, PC world (loads of stock left there) had an Air and an iPad 2 side by side. I disagree with the OP. The difference in size and weight is substantial, well to me anyway. I could pick up the Air with one hand and it didn't feel heavy at all and it was so slim and very fast for the brief time I used it. In fact, when I picked up the mini next to it I didn't notice hardly any difference in weight. I had a mini and the form factor is great, but having the larger screen for me is preferable and now they've slimmed down the Air I don't think you would have a problem carrying it out. Each person has different needs though and I'm sure you'll be pleased with your retina mini - I might get both lol.

11. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I think the size is fantastic. I don't see a point in a tablet smaller than this because it still won't be pocketable and I have my iPhone for on the go purposes. The Air is light enough to be comfortable to use while still maintaining a nice beautiful large retina display.

12. leenak macrumors 68020

I upgraded from the 2 and I'm glad I did. I liked my 2 but I love the retina screen. Could I have waited another year? Sure but so far so good.

13. iDave macrumors 6502a

I tried a Ford F-150 and it didn't drive like a Honda Civic. Damn, sorry for the rant. :confused:

14. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Same here.

Perfect upgrade path - iPad 1 to iPad 5 (Air)

15. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

I can understand the mini (especially retina) being more attractive to some.

Example: Kids enjoy a 5"-7" tablet more as it fits their hand and their general scale.

I'm pleased that Apple has stuck with the 9.7" screen. For me it's purpose is two fold as it's a portable handheld tablet and/or a small laptop you can sit at a desk with.

Making it lighter and thinner is why I bought an Air.

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Really? How weak are you?

Shocker the mini is lighter than the full size iPad air

17. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

I love the size of the mini but often found it too hard to read compared to the regular iPads. The Air has incorporated the feel of the mini so I can enjoy the feel I had with the mini but I can see now!!!!

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Sorry that would be the iPad 4. Oooh new connector! Anyway, I think you will greatly enjoy it over your iPad 2 because of the screen.

19. isephmusic macrumors 6502

I get where your coming from I too feel it still heavy and not do much wow like how the note 10.1 did but then i realized it's not plastic, the screen is so nice and this things battery last forever so I bought and still am unsure if a mini retina will be better

20. scupking macrumors 6502a

I don't think the air is heavy but I wonder why apple can't shrink the top and bottom bezel a little. Other then that I can't see a ten inch tablet getting any better then the airs design!

21. CC117 macrumors 6502

CC117

I upgraded from iPad 4 and after using it for 24hrs I think it's a massive improvement from the last gen never mind iPad 2!

I love the smaller size and it is much lighter and easier to hold.

All in all, I love it :D

22. FAsnakes macrumors regular

I upgraded from an iPad2.. The upgrade is huge & so far I'm loving the iPad air!

23. GregD thread starter macrumors member

To be fair I didn't have my iPad2 so couldn't do a side by side test but from using it every day it didn't feel too different whereas the mini did.

24. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Probably a combination of giving the user a place to hold the tablet in landscape without holding the screen and the space needed for the camera and the bottom button almost wouldn't fit with a thinner bevel. I'm still not sure why they don't have a software home button like certain other devices. Still, no complaints, I love my Air.

25. Mikekan macrumors regular

For me being less heavy is a reason alone to upgrade. I believe it is the best table in the market right now.