All iPads iPad air for writing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Klae17, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Should I get the iPad air for writing? It would be a joy to play games and read also. I have a Bluetooth keyboard for it already. The only thing is if I needed research on a topic I rather not swith to safari just to look something up and go back to the word processing app. It breaks the flow because there is no mouse or trackpad. What would you get?

2. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I just use GoogleDocs, either in Chrome (if I need tabs for research) or in the iOS GoogleDocs app. This way my stuff is also accessible from my other devices without having to sync anything through Dropbox/etc.

I went through several Bluetooth keyboards and then settled for Logitech's UltraThin model for the iPad Air 2. Not cheap, but it "feels" good and works the best for me. It also removes the need for a separate stand.

The next step up would be a Macbook Air or the new Macbook.

3. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I use mine for writing all the time.
    For longer writing projects, I have an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard that I connect to the iPad using a Wingstand- kind of a cool device.
    As for a word processor App, I just started using Ulysses. It's a bit pricey, but I like it because it works seamlessly with DropBox, and it has an annotation and notes feature that allows me to see research, notes, whatever on the same screen that I'm typing on, but to the side of the actual document I'm creating. It's not quite like having multiscreen view, but it's as close as I've seen in an app. I'm too new at using it to give you more, but so far, I really like it.
    Hope that helps!

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

There's no way around switching screens if you need to look something up on the web. But outside of that, an iPad plus a keyboard makes an excellent writing tool. I have a Mini and use it for fiction writing most days...though I'm still waiting for Scrivener to bring out their iOS app.

5. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I write with ipads ... Yes, plural, which gets around the multitasking deficiency. I have ZAGG keys pro on an ipad4, Logitech ultra thin on iPad Air, both are good, though the Zagg is best, robust and backlit.

but, as Apple change the dimensions of ipads each year, and I don't wish to start a keyboard case museum, I have purchased a Logiech Keys To Go (red) which works with everything, is thin and light, and water or coffee spill proof.

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Agreed.
    What I HAVE been able to do with Ulysses is open a webpage, copy the content to an attachment in the app, and view that attachment on the same screen as the one I'm writing on- adjacent to my main content. I can do that with text, keywords, and images.
    It's a hack, but the best one I've found thus far. As I mentioned, I'm still early in the learning curve with Ulysses, so perhaps there is something more elegant that more closely emulates a multi-screen look.
    Does anyone know whether Apple prohibits developers from creating apps that have more or true multiscreen functionality?

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Right now, yes. There's no API in iOS that allows for a split screen function at the moment. A few jailbreak devs had been working around this by tweaking the Reachability function and putting a second app in the blank space that occurs when the screen drops down, but the last time I tried the tweaks they'd come up with, the whole thing was still way too buggy to be useful for any sort of writing + research purposes.

One hope is that this function will be present in the iPad Pro, if they ever follow through on that rumor. I use a Mini now, but if they brought out a Pro with that ability, it'd be an excellent writing tool!

8. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I sometimes write longer pieces with a keyboard and an iPad. I use NoteSuite because it has a companion app on OS X and shares files on iCloud.

You could probably take the keyboard to an Apple Store and try it out. You could also get an iPad and use it for a week or so and take it back for a full refund if you don't like it.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I can do some fairly lengthy docs or typing using just the touch screen keyboard. But, for serious writing, like a book or something you'd have to use something else. A separate keyboard probably helps a lot.

12. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I was thinking of getting Ulysses... but I'm also torn between Editorial as well. I wonder do you have both to compare the two. I've seen plenty of reviews with praise for the app. But it being that amount... I would assume it should be good.

13. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I may actually try both and return the one I like less. Over here in Europe, we can return apps within 14 days, no questions asked. I feel a bit sheepish about doing that, but since I wouldn't keep the app, I think that's all right. No other way of trying before buying.

14. Mliii, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Wish I could help you, but I don't have Editorial.
    I'm liking Ulysses more and more as I get into it, though.
    If you DO get both, please let us know what you think of the two. That would really help out going forward.
    Oh, and someone posted that another App (can't recall the name) has a Mac companion. So does Ulysses. I haven't used it yet, so can't comment, but it's good to know that it's there and is supposed to have seamless integration between the iPad version and the Mac version.

15. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

My motto is always the second or third best tool for the task at hand. Good luck!

16. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

hey writers ... What do you use

FYI ... There is a lot of info about writing software/hardware/processes in this thread, in the MacBook Air forum:

Hey Writers ... What do you use?

Sorry, don't know how put it here as a link. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

17. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

When replying, you only need to highlight the text that you want to become a link, and then click on the world globe icon with the link. It'll prompt you for the target URL.

It'll look like this: Hey writers ... What do you use?

18. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Thanks!

19. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Whenever I'm writing, a site/pdf/etc is on one side and the actual document I'm writing is on the other. An ipad would be better for creative writing, when there aren't any sources to refer to. I would find it very difficult to write with just an ipad. I'd recommend a laptop instead.

20. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

It depends on your budget and needs. You certainly can write on an iPad with a simple app like IA Writer or with Pages, external keyboard or keyboard case, air printer and saving to Cloud or Dropbox etc.

Ipads are much cheaper than laptops, even the 128gb version, and great battery life and portability.

When I write on an iPad, I don't touch the screen that much, I don't worry about typos and so on ... Because I have computers and do the more detailed work in Scrivener. And yes, that makes life easier at that stage and I'll probably always have a computer as well.

If you can't afford both, then you need to consider your needs and make a choice ... They are very different tools. But I would not now be without an iPad, or two, I use them more than anything.

21. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

You definitly can write on an iPad, and the bluetooth keybords make it an absolute pleasure. Pages is such a powerful app for writing, enjoy

22. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

I think you need a laptop. An ipad just doesn't cut it for regular multitasking. Also, I wouldn't call Pages ipad app a powerful app. I think it's adequate for some purposes.

23. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

I absolutely love my iPad Air 2 for many many reasons, but if I was a serious writer, and it was my money, I'd probably just get a $200 Chromebook like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-11...hite/8610161.p?id=1219351773817&skuId=8610161

along with an app like this:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/calmly-writer/adhdlhedoenicbbncfckobjedmboleig?hl=en

My Dad has that same computer and I think it's pretty amazing, especially for the price. Super light and seemed plenty fast for day to day work.

That being said, I'm amazed at how fast and mistake free I can type on the touchscreen of my iPad Air 2, though I understand you couldn't write a novel that way.

24. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

25. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Why not? Plenty of novels have been written by people using a typewriter and two fingers!