iPad Air gestures intermittent since iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Daysight, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Daysight macrumors regular

Since upgrading my iPad Air to iOS 8 the multitasking gestures intermittently do not work. Need to use the home button instead of finger swipe. Workaround I got from other forums seems to be to pull down notification panel then swipe it back up to restore gestures. Annoying - I have come to rely on those gestures.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep - very iffy on mine too. Glad it's not just me.

3. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

Another workaround is to turn on and off multitasking gestures. Which is a bit harder. I wonder why iOS is so buggy. These aren't even new features.

4. MacrumoursUser macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

Same here. One day I can close an app with4/5 finger gesture and the next good luck trying. This especially annoying in safari where I go to tab overview when really wanted to close an app.

5. cgriffis753 macrumors regular

cgriffis753

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I had the same but I have yet to see it under 8.02. I'm not sure though if the extended use of the Widgets in Notification Centre is keeping things working if that was considered a temp fix.

7. friednoodles macrumors 6502

For the record, this bug appears to be impacting all iPad models.

The multitasking gestures randomly stop working. It can be fixed by swiping up the Control Center and swiping it back down - the gestures will then start working again (until the next time they randomly stop...)

It'd be interesting to hear from someone running iOS 8.1 beta 1 to see if the bug still exists there.

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'd like to know if it's fixed in 8.1 as well, it's very annoying.

9. chunology macrumors 6502

I found the iOS gestures to be intermittent on every version of iOS on my iPad Air.

10. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Yep, intermittently multitouch gestures fail on my iPad Air, forcing me to resort to using the archaic Home Button. :p

11. saudor macrumors 6502

nope. not fixed in B1 and B2.

12. robohunter macrumors member

Likewise. Gestures have intermittently failed for me on my iPad Air on every version of iOS 8 (I'm currently running 8.1 Beta 2).

As for the workaround, the quickest way I've found to restore gestures is to use my thumb to swipe up control center just a tiny bit and then down again in a single motion. You don't need to "fully" bring up control center.

Hopefully Thursday's event will bring the GM of 8.1 and finally a fix for this.

13. iOZZY macrumors member

:eek: gestures still not working properly in ios 8.1 Five finger close often ceases to work regardless of the gestures being set to on in settings.

14. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

A quick fix would be to swipe the Notification Center down and up

15. saudor macrumors 6502

And control center