iPad Air GPS with no cell coverage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by glenthompson, Jun 1, 2015.

1. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Has anyone used their iPad as a GPS device when you're not in cell coverage like off shore in a boat on in the mountains/desert? Was just wondering how accurate it was? Does it have good position update time?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes very accurate as long as you have offline maps.

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

4. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

My other half uses his iPad to take pictures to geotag when he's out and about in Morocco. Although he bought the cellular version, he's never actually used that function as all he wanted was built in gps for this purpose.

5. glenthompson thread starter macrumors 68000

glenthompson

That is the problem. I was asking this for my son who is a helicopter pilot deployed in the Persian Gulf. He had his iPad set for auto-update and the Bad Elf GPS broke. With limited internet access he was looking for help getting it working. He use ForeFlight aviation software on it. While he has a local SIM card for his phone there's not much reception 100 miles off shore.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

There is still a chance it could work under 8.3, even while "broken". The 8.3 GPS bug affects all 30 pin devices. It also effects all older GPS devices, but not some of the latest ones (ap1 vs ap2 version.)

If it is a lightning powered iPad, the bad elf pro+ (be-2300) model will still work. Your son probably has the bad led pro (not +) (be-2200, which will not work.). Also, the Garmin Glo has a firmware update so it work as well. (You may need to update the firmware before you send it.).

If you look at that bad elf blog, they did a good job explaining the issue and which devices are working. I would also contact their support email, mention that your son has the older model, they
    gave me a very good discount on the new model.

Of course, the sporty's stratus would also work, give

7. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Sorry, hit the wrong button and not sure how to edit on the iPhone.

The stratus devices will also work, ads-b weather requires ground stations, but the GPS and attitude (stratus 2) functions will still work.