iPad iPad Air graphics flickering on some apps/games

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kidwei, Nov 1, 2013.

1. kidwei macrumors regular

Posted about "Device 6" earlier, but I'm seeing similar issues with "Candy Crush Saga" (I know, don't judge me). Seeing elements on the screen flickering and glitching. I think it may be just happening in more graphically intensive applications. Has anyone experienced this on their new Air? Or is it possible I've got one with a busted GPU? Sigh.

I was waffling on whether to exchange this one because one side of the screen is really yellow compared to the other. But now I'm definitely bringing it back. Fingers crossed for stock tomorrow.

2. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Bring it back. Never encountered flickering on a game.

3. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Add Revel, and GTA China Town Wars to the list

4. kidwei thread starter macrumors regular

5. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

This sounds more like a per app basis. I think this would fall on the developers updating their apps?

7. kidwei thread starter macrumors regular

Not clear if this is a hardware or software issue. Anyone not seeing this on their Air? Seems mainly an issue with games, which are tapping into the GPU's rendering.. possibly only for 3d rendering?

8. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

It could be software related on Apple's front too! App updates or an iOS update should rectify this :D

9. kidwei thread starter macrumors regular

Difficult to say for sure. Would be nice if other folks with Airs could test out the apps cited in this thread for issues. Candy Crush Saga is a free, small download. So it'd make for a good test case. Are you willing to give it a shot?

10. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I really hope it's software related, because besides these graphic issues, my ipad is flawless.

11. kidwei thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm going to swap mine out tomorrow since it has a pretty badly uneven screen. So I will let you know if the new one has the same issue.

12. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Ok

13. Sensamic macrumors 68030

14. phxflyboy macrumors newbie

Glad it's not just me. I noticed this "flickering" last night on the app Aw Craps!, one of the first games I tried. Haven't seen it on any others yet but haven't tried many. I have a 64GB iPad Air WIFI only. I uninstalled the app, reinstalled, no change. I've emailed the developer but haven't heard back yet.

phxflyboy

15. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Well, I bought another ipad today, just got home from Best Buy, and the same thing happens. Can confirm that the problem is not hardware related. Going back now to return the ipad.

16. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I'm actually a huge fan of CC!! I just got done playing it in my car, and I didn't notice any issues. Mine didn't flicker at all :/

I have a 64 GB Space Gray Wifi only iPad Air.

17. WilliamG macrumors 604

How long does it take to see if it does it in Candy Crush Saga? I'm happy to download the game to test with my Air, but have absolutely zero interest in playing it. :D

18. kidwei thread starter macrumors regular

I just came home with a replacement iPad and it does not suffer from this glitching. This may very well be a hardware issue after all.

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Or a software issue. Did it work just fine before? Did you power your device off completely and restart it after the restore from backup?

20. WilliamG, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

WilliamG macrumors 604

On level 7 of Candy Crush... must...stop...playing...

No flickering yet.

*edit*

12 levels in and no flickering.

21. kidwei thread starter macrumors regular

Does not seem to be a software issue. I deleted the app and reinstalled. Also hard and soft reset the iPad. Like I said, I changed the iPad today and am not experiencing the issue any more.

One of my apps (Device 6) was making a loud horrible static sound. Not present on my new iPad Air.

22. noiretblanc macrumors newbie

I got the same problem with CC as well. It improved after I restarted my iPad Air, but the problem recurred after a few games. It was just like watching a slo-mo replay of a football game...

23. RFJ macrumors newbie

My iPad Air flickering on home screen, others

Had it for a week or two, just tonite it started having intermittent flickers. First saw it on Messages, then switched to home screen, and it did it again. About every 10-15 minutes, flickers on and off.