iPad iPad Air HANDS ON REVIEW Thread...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bossyman, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Bossyman macrumors member

Tell us your thoughts and opinions and comparisons in one thread...I'm going nutz reading 40 different threads...

Like? No like? Compared to 4? 3? mini?

:)

2. JFC macrumors member

I'm going from the original iPad purchased on launch day, so I am completely blown away by how awesome it is. I do have the 5s so I do know what the A7 is like. Weight,design and performance are perfect.

3. Moakesy macrumors regular

Moakesy

I like it. I bought two, one for me, one for my missus.

I currently have the iPad4 and she has the iPad2....so it's a good comparison.

My decision to upgrade was really because i wanted something lighter and smaller, closer to the iPad mini but with the bigger screen.

Initial impressions as I opened the box was a slight disappointment, yes it was lighter, but not quite as much as I'd hoped for. However, only after using it for a few hours did I appreciate how much better it is. Even if you rest it on your lap, you really do notice the difference in weight. It's not that the old one was a heavy-weight, but with the new machine you do really appreciate the diet it's been on!

Also, the screen seems a big step up. It might just be perception, but for me the colours are deeper and more solid, even compared to the iPad4 with it's retina display. Some of the reduction in thickness is due to changes in the screen layers, so maybe that's it?

As for performance, I did a simple test of opening the same apps on the old and new device at the same time. Compared to the iPad4, you can hardly notice...I tried music, YouTube, Candy Crush, Infinity Blade II and although it's quicker on the Air, it ain't that much quicker. Compared to the iPad 2 it's a different story of course....much, much quicker.

So, in summary, I'm really glad I've upgraded. The display is great and the weight savings do make a difference. Oh, as it's narrower, so I can hold it in one hand more easily.

If money is tight and you have a new'ish iPad already, I'd hold fire. If you are lucky enough to have the funds available, then go for it....you won't be disappointed.

4. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Can not wait to get mine, just a couple of more hours at work! :) I am upgrading from my iPad 3, should be a big jump in performance.

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I can now change the wallpaper without any lag or hang ups. Definitely much has improved in performance. Screen looks sharper than I remember it from my iPad 3 also. Definitely happy so far.

6. Macalway macrumors 68000

I'm reluctant, as I don't really care, but I need the 128gb, and I'm not going to buy the previous generation, even though I could save probably, $200. Just wouldn't sit well

7. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Totally Agree. Was a little thrown off at first, now I love it.

8. irnchriz, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Picked up one this morning, going from an iPad 4. Apart from the speed increase the main thing I notice is the screen scrolls straight. On all previous iPads the screen kinda goes squint/wobbles when scrolling, it's caused by the screen refresh and horizontal lines kinda go off a bit. No more on the new screens.

9. prism macrumors 6502a

Wow, seriously impressed by the speakers!!!
    Substantially better than on my previous ipad 4.

10. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Had every intention on getting the rMini but pulled the trigger today on the Air. I am amazed at the size. it's a whole other form factor from the iPad 2/3/4. You really need to see one in person to appreciate it's size/weight/design.

For me it's the absolute perfect size.

11. mvdw84 macrumors newbie

mvdw84

Going from an iPad 2 to an Air there is obviously a big jump in performance.

Weight difference noticeable for sure, great screen and much zippier.

I have a 5S, so I must admit I am missing touch ID.

Definitely worth the update though (and standing in the line so early this am!)

12. catalyst6, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Picked up a 16gb LTE (T-mobile) Air today in Space Gray.

Now I am even more confused. It's compact enough that I don't know if I also need a mini. The screen is just so damn BIG and it feels like a marginally larger mini.

I would consider this a good problem but it almost seems like there is too much overlap.

Only complaint I have is my screen tint seems very uneven. Hopefully it corrects itself with use, but if not I will need to swap it out.

13. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I had the 4 and the mini. The mini I used for reading, some web surfing, some email. The 4 is what I take to conferences and continuing ed events for note-taking, watching Netflix in the hotel, etc. I used it with a Logitech bluetooth keyboard.

The Air is much lighter than the 4. I think I can get by comfortably with just the Air. I'm going on a business trip next week, so will take the Air and see how it feels reading on the plane holding it one-handed, surfing web, and taking notes. I will miss the Logitech keyboard, but I have an origami workstation and an Apple wireless keyboard that I can use if I really feel I need it.

14. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I'm coming from a 3rd gen which is just a 2nd Gen with retina. The speed and smoothness is a big upgrade. Also for some reason the screen looks a little better/brighter. I love the material on the back. I don't feel like I scratch it if I stare at it too long, like I felt with the 3rd Gen.

15. bnorthro macrumors member

I picked one up at Best Buy this morning but I'm unable to set it up because apparently you have to have WiFi (work wifi is locked down). The physical changes vs my ipad 3 are great, I can't wait to use it.

One thing I can comment on is the Polyurethane Smart Cover. It is horrible. I had the leather one on my iPad 3 which I loved. The poly feels really cheap in the hand, the edges are sharp, I'm not particularly fond of the fabric hinge (the metallic hinge on the previous one felt like a quality, well engineered part, this feels cheesy). I prefer the 4 fold vs 3 fold, I would fold my smart cover inside out so that the soft fabric didn't sit on the table, which isn't really an option anymore. The Poly also sticks to the material on the wool sleeve I use, so it's a pain to get in & out now (leather slid smoothly). Overall I give the Poly smart cover a D. Hopefully there's going to be a comparable 3rd party cover in leather soon so I can return this one.

16. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Sold my mini a day b4 the announcement...was gonna pick up the new mini but once I seen how light the air was I was sold..and man I'm so happy with my purchase. I love it..fast fast fast..and just a beauty to hold.

17. Lazyboi macrumors newbie

I love almost everything about my iPad Air. Weight, size, screen and speed are great. However I can't stand the speakers. I have a much better video/music experience with my iPad 3 than with the Air. Although they both are rear facing speakers, my iPad 3 just sounds more natural and not muffled like the Air. That is unless I flip the Air around and have the speakers facing me...

18. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

yeah, it also scratched the iPad. I much prefer the new wrap around design.

19. HighFlyingBirds macrumors regular

HighFlyingBirds

Brilliant!!
    Have used the mini but the air seems so much more useable and practical!
    You can use it with 1 hand and you have the benefit of the big screen. Granted it doesn't fit in a pocket, but when I'm travelling or on the go I have my 5S!
    Cracking device!! :)

20. osx11 macrumors 6502a

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. It'll be faster, but from a 3rd gen. you're not going to be blown away.

21. TheBing1980 macrumors member

TheBing1980

Same experience for me! :)

22. erawsd macrumors 6502

I'm so happy to hear about the improved speakers, always annoyed with having to dig out a pair of headphones, mute everything in the house, or cup my hand around the old speaker.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I actually like this Smart Cover better. Doesn't feel as wobbly and I like the fact the hinge doesn't mark up the aluminum back.

24. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Just picked mine up today and I'm loving it. Much less awkward to thumb type in portrait mode, and my ipad 3 feels like a boat anchor after using the Air for a while.:eek:

The black Smart Cover on a space gray ipad is a very attractive combo too. The chamfered edge is still visible from the side... Hopefully it will hold up to some wear and tear though.

25. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Ditto! Coming from an iPad 1st gen this difference is staggering. Snappy and light and vivid screen. This was a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Just picked up a Targus 360 case for my iPad today. Stores like Best Buy and Target may have plenty of iPad airs in stock but slim pickings when it comes to new cases.