iPad Air/iMessaging Issues

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by marissa.anders, Dec 26, 2013.

1. marissa.anders macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm having an issue with a new iPad Air and iMessage. When I sign on to iMessage ont he iPad Air, it won't let me chat with Google Users and not all Text messages are going through/synching.

I did a search on the forums but didn't see anything that was similar to my issue.

I've tried resetting the network, and that hasn't helped.

Has anyone had the same issue or know of any possible fixes?

Thank you.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

3. marissa.anders thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the iPhone 5. Also have a Macbook Air, which I'm not having the same issue with.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Ok well make sure the people your trying to iMessage form the iPad are blue on your phone. Tell me what you find out.

5. marissa.anders thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try to message a Google Talk/Hangout user, they come up as blue but when I try to send a message it tells me the message is not sent.

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Will it work from your phone?

7. marissa.anders thread starter macrumors newbie

No, but I've never been able to do it from my phone, I don't think. I primarily use my Macbook Air for messaging and don't have problems with that.

Also, text messages being sent to me aren't going through to iMessage on the iPad Air either.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Wait on your phone the messages to these people are blue or green?

9. marissa.anders thread starter macrumors newbie

They're gray on my phone.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Can I get a screen shot of the gray messages?

11. marissa.anders thread starter macrumors newbie

I just read that iMessage on iPad doesn't support messaging of non Apple users. Is this correct? If it is, Im assuming that's why it won't seem to work.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes that's why if you look on your phone and see green it means it won't work

13. marissa.anders thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, on my iPhone my messages are green and my friend, who's using GChat is gray. So I don't know what that means. I dropped and cracked my phone really badly, so it's all messed up so Ill have to wait until this weekend if I can get them to replace the glass before I can upload a screenshot.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iMessage only works between two apple devices that are using the stock messages app. If one of you is using anything other than an apple device or the stock messages app, it won't be iMessage. If your friend is sending texts as SMS, they won't go to your ipad. You would need a third party app both of you would use.

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Only what you send is in a color

16. marissa.anders thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks. Guess I was confused because I've never had an issue with talking to gchat users through imessage on my mac book air or pro.

17. Popple macrumors newbie

That's because the Messages app on OS X supports many different chat services/protocols. (Messages>Preferences>Accounts). iPhones support exactly 2: SMS/MMS and iMessage. iPads support exactly 1: iMessage.

Think of it like how Mail.app is set up on OS X. Mail is an application that supports many different email services. It just so happens that Mail on iOS supports those same services. Unfortunately (as you're finding out) that kind of feature parity is not present between the OS X and iOS versions of Messages.

18. vjaaan, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

vjaaan macrumors 6502

So what is the best solution when trying to text from an iPad to an android? Should we be using Google chat? What is the simplest way to get that onto an iPad air? As an app, so I don't have to go load my Google pages every time I want to text.

Also, when I access my gmail page from my iPad Air, I don't see any chat option, or the list of my google friends who are online.

Thanks for any help.

19. Popple macrumors newbie

Search the iOS App Store for 'Google Chat'. I'm sure you'll find a myriad of chat apps that support the GChat protocol.