iPad iPad Air: Is 32GB enough for me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boombox15, Nov 30, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

Hello everyone

I ordered a 32GB Wi-Fi iPad Air yesterday. I think I made the right choice, but I am not sure. The 64GB version would have cost me more, so that's why I I went with 32GB. I am not someone who does everything on the iPad.

I have a 64GB iPhone 5S, and I have used about 30GB on that, but 80% of that is from photos.

If I plan to store a lot of apps, use all of the pre loaded ones, and play a few games, should 32GB be enough? Or should I cancel the order and do 64GB? But I will lose my gift card.

And, if I only keep it for about a year, should 32GB be enough?

2. psionicsin macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Unfortunately no one can really advise you on that as this is seriously subjective. Going off of my own uses I have a 16GB 5s and have my 128GB rMini coming.

I'm not one to keep a ton of pics and videos on my phone as I automatically backup to DropBox and then delete them as to not fill up my storage. I don't download tons of apps per day just to see what they do. And I don't place music on the phone because I have unlimited LTE and just stream my library from Google Play.

On the other hand my rMini will be my work tablet used for design work, web mockups, and various contracts for clients. Although I COULD do the same thing that I do with my iPhone (albeit not as gracefully), I need that data on-hand at all times just in case the network is down or wifi is down...to make sure I still get paid. And depending on where I am, I can watch a movie or 3 without having to tax my server a lot.

So you see, for me, a 32GB iPad will NEVER be enough.
    How ever for some, 16GB is too much.
    Is 64GB of storage in a phone holding things you ACTUALLY want/need?
    Is 32GB going to be enough for YOU?

Again...it's subjective :)

3. boombox15, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I will basically store everything that is on my iPhone on my iPad, except for the 5,000 photos and 33 videos which take up about 14GB. Have 149 apps and expect about the same with the iPad.

4. jsd79 macrumors member

I had a 16gb iPhone 4S and 16 gb ipad 2 before upgrading to 32 gb iPhone 5s and 32gb rMini. I don't use a ton of apps but I do keep a large amount of pictures on each (more on the phone, since it's handy as a camera). I usually keep 2-3 movies and 4-6 tv show episodes on my ipad, and that was what made me go with 32gb. That and syncing my Dropbox files with Goodreader for easy access from the tablet. Besides, with many apps growing larger to take advantage of the retina display, 32 seemed a sensible choice. At least for me.

5. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

What should I do? Should I keep it or cancel it to get a 64GB model. I will store lots of apps and a few photos. Nothing compared to my iphone.

6. Capt T macrumors 6502a

It really depends. I think 32gb is enough for the average person. I have 128gb but would be considered a power user. I have all kinds of work related stuff on mine.

If you don't plan on keeping a lot of videos, music and photos on it, then you should be just fine, I would think.

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Seems like it'll be enough then.

8. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

When I have those questions I look at a couple of things:

One for $100 you are getting double the storage. Price wise that is a good deal, now for the other burning questions.

Two, If I get the smaller one , what happens if I run out of space, what would I do?

Three, I look at how much space I am already using on any of my devices and even if I don't plan on putting everything on my new toy, what happens if I change my mind and add everything. How much space will I have to add stuff?

I always go for a larger one then I don't have to worry about running out of space. Remember the 14GB of stuff you already have is almost half of the space that you will have on a 32 because with just the operating system alone you only have 29GB of space available to use. With a 64 the user space is around 59 GBs.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I had a 64GB iPad 2 and then a 32GB iPad 3. I'm fine with the 32GB most of the time. I don't keep much music on there because I use my iPhone for that. I keep my iCloud photos on there and maybe a few others. I have plenty of apps on there, especially a number of games. I now have all of the iWork and iLife apps on there. I still have a few gigs free.

Most of what I used the extra for in the 64GB model was stuff like keeping a ton of magazines on hand. I think you can easily get by on 32. The streaming ability of iTunes purchases when connected makes keeping tons of music on there less important. If you need to keep a couple of movies on the device, that might run you into some trouble since they're usually at least 4GB.

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

It depends. I have a 16gb mini. I have a 32gb iPhone that I use as my music playing device (high bit rate AAC and mp3). I like using my laptop for movies cause you have to convert movies to play on the mini (gets annoying). So those factors plus I tend to upgrade every year on the mini and i can live with 16gb of storage on the mini. I don't think we have hit the perfect mini yet that will prevent me from not upgrading to the newest version. I obviously don't keep a lot of media. Just podcast (keeps the first new show only, and automatically deletes), and a game that I'm addicted to. Otherwise I use my mini for webrowsing, paying bills, and I take it outside the house since I have LTE. I also have a laptop I can sync media if needed.

11. kap09 macrumors 6502

I rely on my ipad for quite a bit and 32gb has always been enough to get it done for me. The only issue I have is if I start loading up videos or other large media files.

If you want lots of movies or large games at once go for more storage. Otherwise 32 paired with good cloud storage solutions should be enough.

12. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

My last 3 iPads have been 64gb. This time I decided to downgrade to a 32gb. I'm glad I did since I never used to use that much storage. I deleted a lot of music which I don't listen to on my ipad. Also deleted any apps, games and large movies. I still have more than 8gb of storage left. I also decided to downgrade since I can see myself only keeping my air for a year or so.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

32GB seems to be enough for most people. I think we all get scared into thinking that we must get as much storage as humanly possible on these devices but it usually never gets used. You end up with a 20+ GB cushion that ends up going to waste. I go back and forth on this myself. I ended up getting the 32GB with cell support versus the 64GB wifi only this time and I should be fine.

Just stay away from lots of movies and be a good manager about music and photos and you'll be good to go.

14. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iPad Air: Is 32GB enough for me?

It looks like you want have a lot of apps and want to store some photos. I think you should get 64gb. Think about the years ahead. You will be happy you choose 64gb I think.
    I have a 32gb iPad air...

15. hologram macrumors 6502

No. I know your habits and what you plan on storing, you absolutely need to get 128gb.

Don't listen to anyone else. They think they know you, and what you'll be doing with your iPad, but they don't. :rolleyes:

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Already lots of good solid advice. I'd just like to add this...

Do you plan on keeping this iPad for more than 1 generation? If so, consider going for the 64GB. But if you think that you'll be restless when the new iPad Air is released next year, then stick with 32GB.

I went from an 32GB iPad 1 -> 32 GB iPad 2 -> 64GB iPad 4. When I was thinking about buying the iPad 4, I decided that I would keep it for as long as it was viably functional. That was 7 months ago. Although I never maxed the 32GB out on the previous devices, I considered that over the life of the iPad 4 there may be some app or accessory that would be released that will cause me to increase my usage and then it would be helpful to have more space. Not only that, the added $100 to go from 32GB to 64GB spread over 3 years (expected viable life) comes out to only $0.09 a day. If you think the iPad will last longer then obviously the cost is less.

I then picked up a Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover. That made it easy to convert the iPad from a tablet to a netbook. As a result, I found myself using it for more things.

Something to consider, hope this helps.

17. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

There is a say that "is never enough memory" BUT I have the mini 64GB and hardly used 10GB but you mite need more. you are the only one that knows what is your need,
    I bought now the air with only 32GB but add the cell option,WHY because if I go out from home I can still use it with LTE and in the winter we loose power often and than my wifi at home goes away than my LTE work,
    and for final if I come to a point that my memory is at the limit , I can delete some junk or just go and buy a new one

18. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I just looked on my iPhone to see how much space my apps use. I have 135 apps, amounting to 7.5GB. So if on my 64GB iPhone, I was only storing apps, with 56GB to start with, I would still have 49GB. And I think at most I'll add another 5-10GB while I have it. The only thing I plan to store is apps. Where as I also have 5,100 photos on my iPhone and those will NOT be on my iPad.

I will rarely take pictures on the iPad, (It's socially unacceptable) so with that in mind I am not sure how much space you really get on the 32GB, but now I really think that I made the right choice.

iPad Air 32GB owners, how many GB do you really get?

19. hologram macrumors 6502

Why? Do you live in a girl's locker room, or will all your friends make fun of you? Do you take nude selfies and mail them to your grandma? Do you take pics of your dog's private parts and plaster them all over your Facebook page?

That particular statement belongs in a Hall of Fame somewhere.

You don't have the slightest clue how ridiculous and uptight that sounds, do you? :rolleyes:

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you have a 64GB iPhone 5S, I would have bought the 64GB iPad Air. It makes synching easier if you have the same size devices (i.e. you don't have to worry about keeping track of what you sync. If it fits in one device, it will fit in the other).

21. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Update: Got my iPad Air yesterday. No screen defects :) I loaded all of my apps that I am storing on it and it only used 4.5GB. I think I have stored 75% of what I will store on my iPad while I have it. I think I will just add more apps, and of course software updates. 32GB really did work out for me. Still have 23GB Left to play with.

22. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

32 is probably enough with everything being cloud based these days. I might buy the 32 for my Dad for. Gift. I personally have the 128 but that's because I'm a freak and have to have the most lol.

23. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Around 27-28 GB is what you have to use. So far for me it's been good but who knows down the road? I still say on a regular basis you can remove apps, music and other stuff you just aren't using right now. A little management allows you to make 32 GB work just fine, IMO.

24. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

[​IMG]

25. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Most people on macrumors will have a smartphone in addition to an iPad. Assuming the smartphone is 32 or higher, that's at least 64gb of space to work with between the two. I'd keep all music on the iPhone, all photos on the iPhone and all videos/games on the iPad.