iPad iPad Air is a Fantastic Device!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BuickGS67, Jan 21, 2014.

1. BuickGS67 macrumors newbie

So last week, after tons of research, and after putting my hands on both the iPad Mini Retina and the iPad Air at my local Apple store, I picked up the new iPad Air 64GB (Wifi version). I toyed around with it all weekend, and I must say that it is truly a fantastic device!

I was able to watch streaming movies and TV shows using Amazon Prime, iTunes, and tons of web surfing, gaming and whatnot. First day's stats showed that I got nearly 11 hours out of the battery using headphones for video watching (most of the time) and having brightness set between 50% and 75%.

Thank you Apple for making a great, lightweight and powerful device that's comfortable to use and hold all day long without sacrificing anything

+1 to the list of happy iPad Air owners!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats on your new iPad
    I really enjoy my first generation Mini
    Hope you get a lot of use from it and avoid the naysayers :)

3. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

So, is the your first iPad?

I enjoy my iPad Air, it definitely goes with me everywhere I go. I went with the cellular version of it.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The iPad Air is my first iPad and I am very happy with its performance thus far. I find myself using it more than my computer. I got 13 hours usage with 25 standby recently, before I plugged in. And I had several hours of HDX streaming. :D

Congrats OP.

5. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

White? If so it's the same one I have. If you ever are in need of a how to or a app that does something specific more than likely I have it on my ipad air and can tell you which. I have made a mission to turn my ipad air into a mobile office. For the most part I have succeeded. I agree it is a wonderful device. All it's missing is some ports and a file system. But I am guessing those are coming in future versions. I see MacBook Air and ipad air merging as one.

6. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I am also very impressed with my iPad Air (64GB Wi-Fi), it's a fantastic product :D

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just got mine last week (previously had an iPad 2) and massively impressed. It's the Wifi speed that really impresses me. I guess its the combination of MIMO and the faster processor for rendering the pages, but most pages load almost instantly.

Some weird glitches - when I set it up it was in English, but the App Store seemed to be in Dutch (I'm guessing). Tried searching for an option to change it, and the App Store crashed. When I relaunched it was in English. Ok....

Speaking of which, my only complaint is I'm getting more app crashes than on the iPad 2. But overall, the speed, the screen, the size, the lightness.. I love it.

8. bridic macrumors newbie

My Air is my first Apply product and I can see what all the fuss is about.
    It is a great product and solid product.

Are you using Pages and Numbers for Word and Excel?
    I find them ok but looking for something a little better.

9. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

try booking an online flight by getting quotes from airlines, expedia, Travelocity, priceline at the same time. Then check car quotes with same search engines. All in different tabs of coarse at the same time. This is the normal way to price shop. Each page will reload and lose your results. And if that don't piss you off, safari might just close on you.

I sat at my computer and with the mouse it was like somebody drowning and finally popping out of the water for pure oxygen.

10. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I tried to like pages but the cross app support is just not there. So if I have to edit a word file I do it on CloudOn app or using google drive you can edit those too I believe.

11. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Great post Buick! Nice to hear something positive around here! :)

Not a day goes by that I don't think how great this thing is... I agree with you all the way!

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yep, I know what you mean...
    I tried hauling a washer and dryer in the trunk of my wife's Corolla and it wasn't pretty
    But when I put it in the back of my F150 it did just fine

See what I did there? :)

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

That isn't specifically an Air complaint, but it a big drawback in using any iPad for many tasks. The fact that any page you open can reload at any random (to the end user) moment is very annoying.

14. BuickGS67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this is my first iPad, and I'm glad I waited until the Air to jump on board the iPad movement. I chose Space Grey to match my iPhone 5S.

I started my Apple history years ago with an Apple II GS, then got my first iPhone when the 4S came out. Its build quality and functionality led me to buy my first MacBook Pro in 2012. I upgraded the phone to a 5S last fall. Apple's products work seamlessly together, and I truly enjoy the user experience they have engineered so well.

15. redman042 macrumors 68020

I will agree this is an annoyance, but I will still maintain that the Air is by far the best tablet ever made. I can get a lot more productive internet research/work done on this tablet than any iPad prior.

Also I suspect about 50% of the problem is iOS 7 and I'm hoping for improvement in 7.1. I realize that 1 GB of RAM is 1 GB of RAM, but I notice memory inefficiencies and bugs in iOS 7. For example, after a hard reboot my Safari reloadings aren't nearly as bad as they get after many days without reboot. Memory usage efficiency is one of those things that seems like it always needs to be fine-tuned over a series of patches after a new OS is released. I think Apple is working on it.

In any case, the Air still rocks, and damn is it fast.

16. Albert1000 macrumors newbie

I am just the opposite. My iPad really doesn't do anything I find useful. I fell for all the hype I'm afraid. :(

I'd love to use it at my day job but it just isn't compatible with anything there. I got the free Numbers and Pages apps but they are a joke compared to Office.

17. doboy macrumors 68000

Everyone's use and expectations are different. I would return it if you are still within return period.

18. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I read up a bit on MIMO and it appears that your access point also has to support it. Wonder if my Asus RTN65U wifi device from a year ago has this feature? It has no external antennas but not sure if that's a prerequisite for MIMO support or if it is built into the access point's wifi chip?

19. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I find Pages and Numbers to be OK. I'm not a heavy user so our situations may be different. When I get documents from my company I edit them with iWorks and send them back as Word or Excel documents.

The new Pages is still not as good as Pages 09 but I'm hopeful this will be fixed this year.

20. Albert1000 macrumors newbie

I will do either that or give it to one of my kids. Seems to be the market for it anyway.

Looking at the Surface 2 Pro right now. But wow, the prices. :(

21. A.R.S macrumors newbie

iPad Air is the best :)

Yes, I've decided to change my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for an iPad Air after I've bought my iPhone 5.

Firstly I was against the new iOS 7 and I loved iOS 6.

But I've decided to go for a new model and I loved iOS 7 too. The photo gallery is collections by date is fantastic! It's so comfortable to work with my photos (imported from the camera adapter). Safari is nice too but it crashes sometimes.

iWork is good but I agree it's not suitable for even a bit serious editing. But I have a laptop for this purpose.

And I forget to say, it's so light and compact. I enjoy and love my iPad Air ;) :apple:

22. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

We can assume that the iPad Air is the true iPad that Steve Jobs envisioned. It's a near perfect balance in design, weight, performance, battery life etc.

23. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, that's a good point. I betcha Steve would have liked it!

24. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Don't kid yourself, just because you could not find use for it many others have. Don't try to down play it to a kids toy because it's far from it.

25. Albert1000 macrumors newbie

No. I've surmised that the leisure crowd who has nothing to do and kids in general are Apple's target market for this device. And I suspect this is the same for most of the enterprise market where MS Office is so entrenched in corporate ritual.

It's totally my fault. A few people at my day job warned me about Apple's "walled garden" but I fell in love with Apple's engineering.